Both Firefox 3.6.3 and IE8 on a Win 7 machine have become "infected" in some way. I updated FF to 3.6.3 yesterday but I am not sure if the problem was there before - I tend to use Chrome most of the time.
When you do a Google search and get a list of possible sites any selection:
- takes you to the sites then quickly override the information and take you to another obscure search engine or
- do not go to the listed site at all - just go to another search engine or
- take you back to the list that was created by Google (a loop?).
The first search from the list SOMETIMES works then the "infection" seems to "wake up" and start working as above all the time.
After doing the following over several hours I have removed them both - Chrome is the only program not affected on that machine at this time:
- un-installed FF and edited the Registry to remove any references, then re-installed
- tried using Malwarebytes (and others) plus a couple of virus checkers (nothing found)
- checked online and none of the suggested ideas work - some suggest using a particular piece of "free" software then ask for the fee - opportunists at work?
Some sites say "do not read other sites for a solution" then proceed to give information that does not work.
Since I have always trusted this site and have used ideas to solve problems I decided this is the only place where I will post anything. I can manage with Chrome but I am intrigued by the problem. It is posted on MANY sites. I do not know if it is Win 7 specific but an old XP machine seems fine with the same browsers.