Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: test your ports for security

17 Apr 2010   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

what on earth.... why are those 3 stealthed but the others arent? that looks like your ISP is stealthing those ones for you, but Windows Firewall is not doing its job clearly.... i would say try a repair install to sort it out, but maybe someone else will come up with something different first

are you behind a router with NAT enabled? is your computer in the DMZ?
here is mine, sitting behind a NAT Firewall with Windows Firewall, port 100 is open on the router, but as you can see Windows Firewall is stealthing it when not in use



Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2010   #12

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
what on earth.... why are those 3 stealthed but the others arent? that looks like your ISP is stealthing those ones for you, but Windows Firewall is not doing its job clearly.... i would say try a repair install to sort it out, but maybe someone else will come up with something different first

are you behind a router with NAT enabled? is your computer in the DMZ?
here is mine, sitting behind a NAT Firewall with Windows Firewall, port 100 is open on the router, but as you can see Windows Firewall is stealthing it when not in use

now I'm starting to freak.
I don't use torrents, pornsites,gamblingsites,or open any attachment I'm not expecting.
can I just close all ports ( I don't really know how- I need to read some more)


thank you all so much,
carmine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

problem is, if you actually physically lock down all your ports you won't be able to use the internet, as your computer just won't respond to requests from any Ip address (even if its supposed to)

try opening up a command prompt as administrator, and running sfc /scannow see if it finds a problem with the firewall files

might be worth doing a scan with Malwarebytes as well: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button just on the odd chance you have got something nasty by accident
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2010   #14

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

yes, ALL boxes should be GREEN, if they are BLUE then you are not "STEALTH" = visible to others.
Windows Firewall should give you green boxes, if it doesn´t then you have a problem.
as posted above, do a scan for malware, i suggest you download a-squared: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
but the easiest way to solve the problem is to change firewall, get Comodo...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #15

Windows 7
 
 

I use NIS 2010 but I got a few ports open...... anyone know how to block a particular port using NIS 2010?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #16

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
problem is, if you actually physically lock down all your ports you won't be able to use the internet, as your computer just won't respond to requests from any Ip address (even if its supposed to)

try opening up a command prompt as administrator, and running sfc /scannow see if it finds a problem with the firewall files

might be worth doing a scan with Malwarebytes as well: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com just on the odd chance you have got something nasty by accident
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
yes, ALL boxes should be GREEN, if they are BLUE then you are not "STEALTH" = visible to others.
Windows Firewall should give you green boxes, if it doesn´t then you have a problem.
as posted above, do a scan for malware, i suggest you download a-squared: a-squared Free - Free of charge Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Dialer and Anti-Worm Software - Freeware!
but the easiest way to solve the problem is to change firewall, get Comodo...

thank you guys.
gotta go to sleep for the night shift.
chat at ya latter


all the best,
Carmine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 test your ports for security




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33