Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question about UAC warnings....


21 Apr 2010   #1

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 
Question about UAC warnings....

Hi Gang...
This is new... I have a mess of stuff on Windows 7. But I'm seeing some very inconsistent security behavior....

Some of my icons have the little security shield on them...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 302
Size:  56.3 KB

When I enable UAC I get a warning about these two programs every single time. Now, I have no problem about the system telling me I might be on the brink of screwing up. In fact I think that's a good thing...

So, my question... Is there a means to selectively disable UAC warnings for programs I know are ok while still leaving them active for others??? I.E. to bypass UAC on a program by program basis?




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I know little to you... but are you networked with other computers and sharing those folders? GL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Apr 2010   #4

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
I know little to you... but are you networked with other computers and sharing those folders? GL
No... both are local to this machine, neither is shared.

Hey... it's not always how much you know that matters... the thing of the moment is do you know THIS? I don't, that's why I asked...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #5

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Very interesting but not exactly what I need... Thanks for the effort.

Problem is that I either run with UAC on and have to double run several programs, or turn the UAC off and risk something getting by me... Like maybe this should be a security/permissions setting that administrators can set?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

It is not possible by design.

Which is rather unfortunate, but it makes sense.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #7

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
It is not possible by design.

Which is rather unfortunate, but it makes sense.

~Lordbob
It may be by design but I really don't think it makes much sense. It's very intrusive.

Both of the example programs, in the image, are software I've been using for a long time and I trust them implicitly... so much so that I'm reluctant to go out looking for replacements. But I'm also into them each about 5 or 10 times a day and that UAC is going to be a major annoyance after about the 3rd time... I know I can turn it off, but I'd rather not as I need it to test compatibility with software I am developing... Again, several times a day.

The odd thing is that when I first installed Windows 7 as my primary it didn't do that... only now that it's my secondary (XP is primary ... long story, I'm sure you've seen) did it start doing this...

Oh well, if there's no way around it I'll just turn UAC off and enable it when I need to test...

Well, unless anyone has additional suggestions...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

It is already a lot less intrusive than it was in Vista. I guess you skipped Vista and are not used to the UAC. I am not really bothered by it, but you are right - They should allow a list of "trusted programs" like any good AV program does - even MSE. Maybe in /8 they will come around to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
It is not possible by design.

Which is rather unfortunate, but it makes sense.

~Lordbob
It may be by design but I really don't think it makes much sense. It's very intrusive.

Both of the example programs, in the image, are software I've been using for a long time and I trust them implicitly... so much so that I'm reluctant to go out looking for replacements. But I'm also into them each about 5 or 10 times a day and that UAC is going to be a major annoyance after about the 3rd time... I know I can turn it off, but I'd rather not as I need it to test compatibility with software I am developing... Again, several times a day.

The odd thing is that when I first installed Windows 7 as my primary it didn't do that... only now that it's my secondary (XP is primary ... long story, I'm sure you've seen) did it start doing this...

Oh well, if there's no way around it I'll just turn UAC off and enable it when I need to test...

Well, unless anyone has additional suggestions...
They have it set that way so a virus cannot add itself to the whitelist.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #10

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question about UAC warnings....




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question about UAC warnings....
Thread Forum
AMD: Warnings occure, always. Graphic Cards
Solved DNS time-out warnings Network & Sharing
no more nag warnings; Please. Browsers & Mail
Event Viewer warnings General Discussion
UAC is off and still get security warnings!! System Security
Warnings for RC experation General Discussion
Firefox 3.5.3 Warnings Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33