Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why does PCTools ThreatFire slow down my PC?

15 May 2010   #1
McDougal

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 
Why does PCTools ThreatFire slow down my PC?

I have recently discovered PCTools ThreatFire (ThreatFire AntiVirus - Behavioral Virus and Spyware Protection). This is a great program, I now use it on all my PCs bundled with Microsoft Security Essentials. However, I installed it on my new laptop, an ASUS UL20A-A1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 2GB RAM, and a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my new laptop, didn't affect performance at all, and then I installed ThreatFire alongside MSE, and noticed a good decrease in overall performance. ThreatFire doesn't slow down my older XP desktops with MSE installed alongside, and it doesn't slow down my weaker XP laptop with MSE installed alongside. I really like ThreatFire, but I don't understand why it is slowing down the most powerful computer I have, and not slowing down the weakest computers I have, it just doesn't make sense. I've done all the tuning up possible with my new laptop (defrag, clean disk space, disable startup items, etc. etc.) with no luck. Does anybody know why ThreatFire would be slowing down my laptop and if there's a fix?

Thanks!

-McDougal


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I have recently discovered PCTools ThreatFire (ThreatFire AntiVirus - Behavioral Virus and Spyware Protection). This is a great program, I now use it on all my PCs bundled with Microsoft Security Essentials. However, I installed it on my new laptop, an ASUS UL20A-A1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 2GB RAM, and a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my new laptop, didn't affect performance at all, and then I installed ThreatFire alongside MSE, and noticed a good decrease in overall performance. ThreatFire doesn't slow down my older XP desktops with MSE installed alongside, and it doesn't slow down my weaker XP laptop with MSE installed alongside. I really like ThreatFire, but I don't understand why it is slowing down the most powerful computer I have, and not slowing down the weakest computers I have, it just doesn't make sense. I've done all the tuning up possible with my new laptop (defrag, clean disk space, disable startup items, etc. etc.) with no luck. Does anybody know why ThreatFire would be slowing down my laptop and if there's a fix?

Thanks!

-McDougal

You are running win 7 with the absolute minimum ram. MSE, useses minimal resources Threatfire uses much more. It doesnt affect XP because its OS requires less ram.

If I were you I would think about adding ram, or using 32bit instead.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #3
McDougal

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I have recently discovered PCTools ThreatFire (ThreatFire AntiVirus - Behavioral Virus and Spyware Protection). This is a great program, I now use it on all my PCs bundled with Microsoft Security Essentials. However, I installed it on my new laptop, an ASUS UL20A-A1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 2GB RAM, and a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my new laptop, didn't affect performance at all, and then I installed ThreatFire alongside MSE, and noticed a good decrease in overall performance. ThreatFire doesn't slow down my older XP desktops with MSE installed alongside, and it doesn't slow down my weaker XP laptop with MSE installed alongside. I really like ThreatFire, but I don't understand why it is slowing down the most powerful computer I have, and not slowing down the weakest computers I have, it just doesn't make sense. I've done all the tuning up possible with my new laptop (defrag, clean disk space, disable startup items, etc. etc.) with no luck. Does anybody know why ThreatFire would be slowing down my laptop and if there's a fix?

Thanks!

-McDougal

You are running win 7 with the absolute minimum ram. MSE, useses minimal resources Threatfire uses much more. It doesnt affect XP because its OS requires less ram.

If I were you I would think about adding ram, or using 32bit instead.

Ken
Thanks Ken for the reply. It might just be that I am using too little ram. I previously had 4GB, but as I stated in my previous post (http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...od-errors.html) my extra 2GB ram was actually incompatible, so I am forced to go 2GB for now. My system runs perfectly (2GB ram only) without ThreatFire installed and only MSE installed, system boots up in 66 seconds and everything runs fine without 4GB ram. So I might just not install ThreatFire, or maybe search for more RAM later.

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated!

-McDougal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2010   #4
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

just use MSE its a perfect solution, that extra protection crap i think is garbage, when more than one antivirus is installed there are many potential problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #5
McDougal

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
just use MSE its a perfect solution, that extra protection crap i think is garbage, when more than one antivirus is installed there are many potential problems.
I think that's what I'll just do. MSE is working perfectly for me, and my computer is running fine now, I'll upgrade my RAM later when I need it (probably another year or so).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #6
lectricfunrl

Ubuntu
 
 

the only thing i haven't seen mse do is prevent spyware. i've had to rely on spybot and malware bytes for that and i'm unsure if malware bytes isn't just sophisticated script kiddie work at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #7
Krispy1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

threat fire sucks, its a b level antivirus and its known to slow down alot of pcs. try using another av on your laptop like avast
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why does PCTools ThreatFire slow down my PC?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD Crash with PCTools software
I need help - and I know one "simple" solution is to not use this software and buy something different - so please avoid recommending that one. So...after I installed PCtools Spyware Doctor with antivirus my computer experienced crashes. I uninstalled PCtools for 10 days, no crashes. Installed...
BSOD Help and Support
AV software ThreatFire + MSE
Back then, when i wanted to use Avast, I also looked up threatfire and read something along the lines of integration with other av software. i installed both, but that was a long time ago. over a long period, i switched to AVG Free, and now MSE. So now, would Threatfire and MSE be...
System Security
spybot vs MSE vs threatfire..which one is better
i need to install an anti-spyware program..and what do u guys here recommend? spybot S&D has tea-timer which provides registry protection...
System Security
Threatfire works in x64
Threatfire is x64 compatible - just a heads up. Only annoyance is that if you want to open up the main windows it takes around 5-10sec. Otherwise, a solid addition to whatever security suite you are now using. Norton 360 isn't complaining either. Uninstalled it. Updates seem wonky.
System Security
PCTools FREE Firewall 2nd place on Matousecīs test !
hi ! PC Tools Firewall Plus 6.0.0.69 at 2nd place on Matousecīs firewalltest: Results and comments - www.matousec.com PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download "Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)"
System Security
ThreatFire
I've been using Threatfire in conjunction with Avast for quite a while. Seems to be a good combination. ThreatFire is behavior based where Avast is rules based. They team up well and I see no speed degradation, even on my old AMD Athlon 2000+ with 1 GB of memory. Just got a new rig... Intel...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App