Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Does Windows Defender actually do anything


05 Jul 2010   #11

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Hi, Kodi.

You are correct. It generally is not advisable to run two AV's at the same time since it can cause conflicts. As Brink explained with regard to Avast & MSE:
Quote:
They worked together to make sure that they do not conflict with each other, and I never had a issue with them running together yet.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2010   #12

Windows Seven Home Premium 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kodi View Post
Just wondering has anyone ever had windows defender actually do something?
All mine seems to do is ask for updates every couple of days and that is about it.no popups telling you what it has caught or blocked in fact I wonder if it is actually working.
I did have it spring into action once with Vista, saying my Hosts file had been changed.

When i had a look it had been changed (by me with Admin rights) and i did this edit about 9 weeks before Defender gave me the alert.

I stopped using Defenders Real Time protection a long time ago and just used it for on demand scans. The last time i did a clean install i disabled Defender completely
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #13
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Hate to say it, but I've always disabled Windows Defender.
Sometimes it causes more problems then necessary.

I use SpywareBlaster by Javacool Javacool Software , along with Avira Premium Security Suite on all three of my computers.

I also have SuperAntiSpyware (a paid for subscription) and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (set to "manual" in Services), to scan when I want to.

I whole heartedly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials if you need a free anti-virus program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jul 2010   #14

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote:
I whole heartedly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials if you need a free anti-virus program.
Agree Jacee, MSE has caught several things that McAfee missed (McAfee came with the PC, what can I say)

Quote:
I have noticed more licensed AV programs tend to be discounted now ever since MSE was released. I guess Microsoft really cut into their profit margin by releasing a quality product that works, has an intuitive interface and is all-in-one.
It was really interesting that when MSE was being beta tested, most software reviewers were giving it excellent marks.

Then a report came out, a "independent test" which claimed MSE missed a whole bunch of stuff and was inferior.

About two months later, someone uncovered that the "independent test" was actually financed by McAfee and Norton. Maybe they were a bit worried?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #15

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
It was really interesting that when MSE was being beta tested, most software reviewers were giving it excellent marks.

Then a report came out, a "independent test" which claimed MSE missed a whole bunch of stuff and was inferior.

About two months later, someone uncovered that the "independent test" was actually financed by McAfee and Norton. Maybe they were a bit worried?
I don't recall any negative reviews of MSE but I do remember other AV vendors shrugging MSE off as if they weren't worried about the competition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I wasn't keen on mse when I tried it - Avast seems to be quicker and uses less resources, updates more often , too.

Each to their own.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I wasn't keen on mse when I tried it - Avast seems to be quicker and uses less resources, updates more often , too.

Each to their own.
I used to use Avast. It served me well until it let some malware through. The major thing I didn't like about it was the two separate interfaces. It had one interface for the realtime protection and another interface for manual scanning, which looked like some car CD player (see attached). Even though it was free I didn't like having to register.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #18

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I wasn't keen on mse when I tried it - Avast seems to be quicker and uses less resources, updates more often , too.

Each to their own.
I used to use Avast. It served me well until it let some malware through. The major thing I didn't like about it was the two separate interfaces. It had one interface for the realtime protection and another interface for manual scanning, which looked like some car CD player (see attached). Even though it was free I didn't like having to register.
ALL programs let some through, that is the old version you should try the new Avast 5
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #19

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kodi View Post
ALL programs let some through, that is the old version you should try the new Avast 5
Already moved on, using Microsoft Security Essentials now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #20

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I wasn't keen on mse when I tried it - Avast seems to be quicker and uses less resources, updates more often , too.

Each to their own.
I used to use Avast. It served me well until it let some malware through. The major thing I didn't like about it was the two separate interfaces. It had one interface for the realtime protection and another interface for manual scanning, which looked like some car CD player (see attached). Even though it was free I didn't like having to register.
Hi jon, it's all in one window now. It has different pages but only one window. I agree about the version in your pic, I hated that setup. In my opinion that was the worst.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Does Windows Defender actually do anything




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Does Windows Defender actually do anything
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Defender & Others System Security
Solved windows Defender System Security
Windows Defender System Security
Windows Defender System Security
windows defender System Security
MSE & Windows Defender System Security
Does 7 come with Windows Defender? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33