Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Allow Custom 3rd party Themes in Windows

20 Jun 2009   #1
edrik

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
 
 
Allow Custom 3rd party Themes in Windows 7, Vista & XP

We always like to customize our Windows to make it pretty. There are hundreds of themes available to spice up Windows.

"UxStyle" is a very small utility created by well-known "Rafael" @ Withinwindows.

As you all know, Windows doesn’t all you install third-party themes by default. To install a third-party theme in Windows, you need to patch Windows system files. Of course, there are many patches available, but many novice users find this as a tedious task.
Here is a great application for Windows, named UxStyle Core that lets you patch Windows in a few seconds easily without playing with system files. It works fine for XP, Vista and Windows 7. So, just download and install the UxStyle Core to start playing with new themes.
Note   Note
UxStyle is a light-weight system service named Unsigned Themes, complimentary to the Themes service, and a kernel driver, sizing in at ~500k and ~17kb respectfully (beta builds). The service handles the enabling/disabling of custom theme support and the kernel driver handles patching. For 64-bit platforms, the kernel driver is signed with a digital certificate, as required by Microsoft.
Simply download and install the tool and get ready to enjoy 3rd party themes. It works in Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Note that it doesn't have any UI. It'll run as a service in background and will allow you to use 3rd party themes.

UxStyle - Enjoy 3rd party Themes.zip

In builds 72xx you may need to run an elevated command prompt and copy paste exactly what the code shows below to make it work.

Code:
sc config uxpatch group= "File System"
sc config UnsignedThemes group= UIGroup





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jun 2009   #2
ikilledkenny

Windows 7 Professional, Windows Longhorn 4074
 
 

I had UxPatcher on XP and Vista, and it was great! Thanks for posting!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #3
Legacy Code

 

A lot is owed to Rafael and his work , If it wasn't for him we would all still be using the default themes Microsoft supply.

Thanks for the Links
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2009   #4
ikilledkenny

Windows 7 Professional, Windows Longhorn 4074
 
 

Does anyone know where I can get new themes? Struggling to find some...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #5
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post
Does anyone know where I can get new themes? Struggling to find some...
At the moment things keep changing from build to build, here are some i was checking out for build 7100. I am sure you could find some more there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #6
garbanzo

7600 x86
 
 

hmm this is interesting, i wasn't expecting it out so soon. i just bought (€3) AveStyler which is similar. but AveStyler has a GUI with a theme picker, and builds live previews of the styles that are in your themes folder so you know what you're getting. it's a nice little app!

AveStyler
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2009   #7
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Anyone know where to put the theme files and whatnot to get themes working?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2009   #8
garbanzo

7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
Anyone know where to put the theme files and whatnot to get themes working?
the theme file needs to be in /windows/resources/themes

look in that folder at Aero.theme (you can view it in notepad) and inside the Aero folder where the Aero.msstyles file and other files are located to see how things are set up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2009   #9
sagarajin

windows 7
 
 

Thanks for this one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2009   #10
maccik

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edrik View Post
We always like to customize our Windows to make it pretty. There are hundreds of themes available to spice up Windows.

"UxStyle" is a very small utility created by well-known "Rafael" @ Withinwindows.

As you all know, Windows doesn’t all you install third-party themes by default. To install a third-party theme in Windows, you need to patch Windows system files. Of course, there are many patches available, but many novice users find this as a tedious task.
Here is a great application for Windows, named UxStyle Core that lets you patch Windows in a few seconds easily without playing with system files. It works fine for XP, Vista and Windows 7. So, just download and install the UxStyle Core to start playing with new themes.
Note   Note
UxStyle is a light-weight system service named Unsigned Themes, complimentary to the Themes service, and a kernel driver, sizing in at ~500k and ~17kb respectfully (beta builds). The service handles the enabling/disabling of custom theme support and the kernel driver handles patching. For 64-bit platforms, the kernel driver is signed with a digital certificate, as required by Microsoft.

Simply download and install the tool and get ready to enjoy 3rd party themes. It works in Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Note that it doesn't have any UI. It'll run as a service in background and will allow you to use 3rd party themes.

Attachment 15106


Thank s for this ..but how can i use ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Allow Custom 3rd party Themes in Windows




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My Problem With Third Party Themes
If you look in the Customization section you can see the problem that I am having. This is another matter but related. Evidently when you perform an inplace re-install it does not change all tweaks that you may have made and it does nothing to changes that were made using those Theme programs such...
Backup and Restore
HELP PLZ on 3rd party themes
i have patched my windows 7 and restart my pc but i cant get them to work still any help ?
Themes and Styles
Cannot install third party themes on windows 7
Hi there, I have successfully downloaded and installed the universal theme patcher as well as one theme on my windows seven. This however only worked once ! Do I have to download a new universal theme patcher for every theme I download or do I have to some how re use the one I have every time ? ...
Themes and Styles
Installing 3rd party themes on Windows 7
I am wishing to install 3rd party themes on my Windows 7 x64 and am wondering if anyone has any views/comments on this both good and bad. I understand that I will need to use 'Universal Theme Patcher' and that it will modify the following files... uxtheme.dll, themeui.dll, themeservice.dll Of...
Themes and Styles
Patching windows for the use of third party themes
Hi, I would like to use third party themes but I don't want just some fly by night patcher for the system files. Does someone have a good recommendation..
Customization
How-To Install Third Party Themes on Windows 7/Vista [HD]
I know Microsoft does not recommend using third party programs/files, but I thought I might aswell share this with you's. It's extremely simple to do, just follow the tutorial. Enjoy. YouTube - How-To Install Themes - Windows 7/Vista (If someone could embed this video for me, it'd be...
Themes and Styles


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App