|16 Oct 2011||#1|
| || |
Rebuilding Icon Cache for Applications: Windows 7
I know this thread title may sound very familiar to you but trust me I have tried everything posted on web so far but nothing is working. So, I had a virus few weeks ago which practically disabled all exe files except for the ones that were running at that time. It associated a fake antivirus program with all exe files something like 'Windows 7 Antivirus' and every exe was executing this instead of the program it was supposed to. I followed some instructions on web and i restored all applications using registry tweaks but almost all exe icons are showing default windows icon (the icon which appears when win cant find the right one). Now i dont remember if icons were gone when virus attacked or they disappeared because of registry editing. I tried following already:
1. Changed color depth of system and reverted
2. Reinstalled softwares: icons are repaired sometimes but they disappear again on restart.
3. I managed to recover old icon cache files by using "Restore Previous Version" of the windows folder. It is much heavier than the existing iconcache file but it does not repair anything. Plus it becomes lighter again on system restart.
4. Tried changing shortcut icons with right click, 'Change Icon' is greyed out.
5. Could not find a way to right click>change icon of exe itself. I cant find 'Change Icon' button in properties of exe files.
6. Ran repair installation of Windows 7 :-S took me freakin 3 hours to complete with no effect.
Here i would like to mention that all windows icons are fine. Plus Mozilla is also showing correct icon. Almost all other software icons are gone. Skype icon was restored when I reinstalled it but vanished again on system restart. I am almost certain that this is a problem with registry keys. I am not an expert with these kind of things so a suggestion for 'dummy' will be awesome.
Thank you very very much for your time.
|My System Specs|
|19 Nov 2011||#2|
| || |
Aha, what you have is a Rogue Virus. They're very dangerous, as they can remove all of the money from your credit card. They auto-install a program on your computer called 'windows security'. The title may sound very trustworthy and microsoft-related, but trust me, its a ticking bomb, ready to steal your money. Its very clever, as it explains that all of your .exe files and virus checkers have been attacked. It says 'purhcase anti-virus pro for $19.95. If you buy this, (DONT!!!!!) it steals all of the money off your already entered credit-card details. Don't fret though, this is the way I reverted my .exe files to their original state and got rid of the virus.
1) Insert a pendrive in 'windows safe mode' and retrieve all of your important files off your account,you do this by: Click on my computer, click on Users, then click on your account name. Then you should be able to retreive any photos, documents, videos, .exe(s) etc, you would like to keep. (copy them onto a pendrive / external hard-drive)
2) Now, while youre in 'My computer/ Users' Click on your account and delete it. If it is your only account, create a new (administrator) account. This can be done in the 'control panel'. This should destroy the fake anti-virus program and all of its other affected areas.
3) Now, reboot, and go on your spare / other administrator account (this should not be affected at all) and load all of your files back (and install an anti-virus program)
4)Now, in your recycle bin, there should be an folder saying the name of your old account you have just deleted. As quick as possible, delete that folder. This should take a while.
5) Load back all of your retrieved files off your pendrive / external hard-drive.
And enjoy your fixed computer / laptop!!!
Reply if this didn't work,
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Rebuilding Icon Cache for Applications: Windows 7|
|icon cache not rebuilding all icons||Customization|
|Icon Cache Size - Change in Windows||Tutorials|
|Problems with Desktop Icons in Windows 7 (Damaged Icon Cache perhaps?)||General Discussion|
|Icon Cache seems to be not working in Windows 7||Performance & Maintenance|
|Icon Cache Problems||General Discussion|
|black desktop icons - rebuilding icon cache doesn't help permanently||General Discussion|
|Rebuilding Icon Cache?||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.