I am having some problems enabling aero on my laptop. I had it working before, about a month ago, and then I either did a windows update or updated my graphics card driver
or both and that's when aero stopped working. I didn't feel like fixing it at the time so I put it off to the side and went on vacation so here I am a month later trying to fix it.
I googled a bunch of fixes but nothing seemed to work. I updated to the latest graphics card driver (Nvidia GTX 460m), 320.18 and did the latest win 7 updates. I also doubled check to make sure the theme I selected was using aero.
Here is a list of the fixes I tried to do and some weird things I noticed.
1. I tried a few different registry edits, below is one of them but I tried and changed a few different things. I have a reg backup too from before I changed things.
- Open Registry Editor (RegEdit).
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
If the DWM registry key is not found, right click on Windows and then select New -> Key to create new branch and name it as DWM.
- In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit value) named UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.
- In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named Blur, and set its value to 0.
- In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named Animations, and set its value to 0.
- Restart the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager in Services in Control Panel (type Services.msc in Start Search), or run the following commands in a command prompt with administrator privileges: net stop uxsms
net start uxsms
- Attempt to enable and apply Windows Aero in Windows 7. Restart the computer if required.
2. I noticed when I go to performance option, there is no mention of aeropeek or other options that should be there
3. I tried installing nvidia drivers
ranging from 275.33 - 320.18 with no luck.
4. My system restore points only go back a day even when I check the box that says "Show more restore points" so that is no help
5. When I search aero and then click the "Find and fix problems .... visual effects", windows does a search to find the problem and the problem that it detects is Desktop Window Manger is disabled. So I went into services.msc and found Desktop windows manger and it is already running, startup type is automatic. So I stopped it and started it again by right clicking it and nothing. I tried the command line version, net stop uxsms and net start ucsms, as admin and nothing.
6. Updated Windows Experience Index, everything is above 7.1 except for primary HDD, thats at 5.9.
7. Created a new user but the results are the same
Anyone have some suggestions?