Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stuck on Classic theme after installing NVIDIA drivers

19 Jun 2013   #1
spioner

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Stuck on Classic theme after installing NVIDIA drivers

So yesterday I was all exited because my new GTX 660 came in. I built it in my computer right away, installed the drivers from the DVD and updated them. I am running 320.18 WHQL driver for 64 bit.

But now, my theme seems to be stuck on Classic. All the other themes in the control panel are greyed out. Another thing is that before logging in it shows a "Please wait..." screen for a while, and once logged in it tells me that it could not connect to the System Event Notification Service.
One more issue (should I be starting multiple threads for this?): my right-click context menu is very slow (takes at least 15 seconds to load). I'm not sure if this is important, but I read other people had the same issues after installing NVIDIA drivers.

Things I tried:
Now, what I read that the themes service might be disabled for some reason, so I opened up services.msc and looked it up. Both the Themes and the System Event Notification Service were on automatic, and restarting the Themes service gave me my trusty Aero theme back. Unfortunately, this sets itself back on rebooting. Also clicking the "Solve problems with Aero and transparancy" on the themes screen on configuration panel works, but no luck after rebooting.
I also tried downgrading to both 314.22 and 314.07 versions but that didn't resolve the issue.

Hope anyone can help me with this!
BTW: I'm new to forums in general, so don't sue me!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jun 2013   #2
TwoCables

 

What was your previous video card?

What power supply do you have (brand and model)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #3
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums

For the theme.
Did you refresh the WEI after installing the video card?
Windows Experience Index - Update or Refresh Score

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jun 2013   #4
spioner

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Welcome to the Seven Forums

For the theme.
Did you refresh the WEI after installing the video card?
Windows Experience Index - Update or Refresh Score

Jerry
Yes I did. Before it showed a greyed-out rating of 5,9 and after I refreshed it, it still indicated a 5,9, but no longer greyed-out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #5
spioner

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
What was your previous video card?

What power supply do you have (brand and model)?
My previous video card was a AMD Radeon HD 6850. I did unistall the drivers from that device, with the device manager, before installing the new ones.
Not sure about the power supply right now. All I know is that it supplies 550W. I guess I could open it up and check, but I'm a little tired right now so I'll do that tomorrow if I remember.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #6
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spioner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
What was your previous video card?

What power supply do you have (brand and model)?
My previous video card was a AMD Radeon HD 6850. I did unistall the drivers from that device, with the device manager, before installing the new ones.
Not sure about the power supply right now. All I know is that it supplies 550W. I guess I could open it up and check, but I'm a little tired right now so I'll do that tomorrow if I remember.
Ok. Try to remember because it's pretty important. Sometimes very low-quality PSUs can cause very weird problems that no one can figure out or solve.

However, the GTX 660 (the non-Ti version) consumes less power than the 6850, so I guess it could be either a slightly defective card, or maybe you need to try different driver versions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #7
spioner

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spioner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
What was your previous video card?

What power supply do you have (brand and model)?
My previous video card was a AMD Radeon HD 6850. I did unistall the drivers from that device, with the device manager, before installing the new ones.
Not sure about the power supply right now. All I know is that it supplies 550W. I guess I could open it up and check, but I'm a little tired right now so I'll do that tomorrow if I remember.
Ok. Try to remember because it's pretty important. Sometimes very low-quality PSUs can cause very weird problems that no one can figure out or solve.

However, the GTX 660 (the non-Ti version) consumes less power than the 6850, so I guess it could be either a slightly defective card, or maybe you need to try different driver versions.
I checked inside my case and I have a Antec Neo HE 550 in my PC. I had it for a pretty long time but I think it is decent. Just to confirm my GTX 660 is non-Ti.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #8
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spioner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spioner View Post

My previous video card was a AMD Radeon HD 6850. I did unistall the drivers from that device, with the device manager, before installing the new ones.
Not sure about the power supply right now. All I know is that it supplies 550W. I guess I could open it up and check, but I'm a little tired right now so I'll do that tomorrow if I remember.
Ok. Try to remember because it's pretty important. Sometimes very low-quality PSUs can cause very weird problems that no one can figure out or solve.

However, the GTX 660 (the non-Ti version) consumes less power than the 6850, so I guess it could be either a slightly defective card, or maybe you need to try different driver versions.
I checked inside my case and I have a Antec Neo HE 550 in my PC. I had it for a pretty long time but I think it is decent. Just to confirm my GTX 660 is non-Ti.
Yeah, that's not a bad PSU at all. It was pretty good back in 2008! So if it's not the PSU, then the only things I can think of are that it's either a slightly defective card, or you need to try different driver versions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2013   #9
Belgarionbg

Windows 7 Professional x64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spioner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
What was your previous video card?
My previous video card was a AMD Radeon HD 6850. I did unistall the drivers from that device, with the device manager, before installing the new ones.
Hi

I was in similar situation when I got rid of my ati 5570 replacing it with my new 660 OC. With not only uninstalling that damn catalyst cc but cleaning after that with another programs too.
Still all I got was bug after bug, not only the aero but the whole OS was acting weird.
So I just give it up and did clean reinstall. Since then everything work flawless

Otherwise this is my pc >

(that 5.9 is the last bottleneck - hdd, which I`ll be changing with ssd in near time)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2013   #10
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums spioner. For your right click issue, try using Using ShellExView to troubleshoot the cause. Use one of the other methods if needed.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stuck on Classic theme after installing NVIDIA drivers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Stuck on classic theme after running eraser on my C drive
hi guys, I am stuck on Classic theme after running ERaser yesterday on unused space on my C drive, same issue as this guy had here which was an ooold thread, sorry for doing a new one if it's not "allowed" :...
Themes and Styles
Windows 7 - Stuck on Classic theme, other themes not working
I have tried everything trying to fix this problem to no avail. Yesterday, I used the program "Eraser" to wipe my free disk space, but a popup came up saying my memory was running low, even though I had about 500GB left, so I exited from the program even though it looked almost complete. Later...
Themes and Styles
Realtek Audio Drivers stuck installing
I'm trying to install the latest drivers audio drivers to fix a mic static problem I am having, but the driver after it hits this point the driver gets stuck installing leaving me without an audio driver.
Sound & Audio
Windows stuck on Classic theme.. Virus??
Hello, This is my first post on this thread, so I apologize if this is the wrong place! My mom has asked me to look at her laptop, which she believe's has a virus. From what she has said, she was trying to stream the NBA on her laptop and wound up downloading some programs in order to...
System Security
Windows 7 stuck in classic theme
Hi, I have had a windows 7 x64 installation running for over 4 weeks on my pc, aero worked on my pc. Today I did a reboot because nero burning rom didn't start( I've had this problem before and ussually it worked after the reboot). After the reboot windows started up in windows classic mode. I...
Themes and Styles
Stuck on Windows Classic theme.
I have switched between Windows Aero and Windows Classic themes many times, but now I'm stuck on Windows Classic theme. What should I do? I've got Acer Aspire 5724G.
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App