Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Removing text preview..

14 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Removing text preview..

Hi,

I'm constantly trying to tweak my 7 installation to my idea of perfection.. I can't seen to remove the text preview thumbnail though. Would this be a registry edit or an option that needs changed? It's killing me, I edited the registry to remove the image thumbnails (I hate anything visual that takes away from performance haah.)

The "text preview thumbnail" that I want to remove can be seen in the picture below, it's annoying me to no that I can't remove it myself nor find any guide online for it lol.



Alternatively, here is a link to the image: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thank you and I hope this serves as a guide for anyone who ran into this as well.
-Matthew

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jun 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hello Matthew24, you can effectively disable that by creating a new subkey in the registry. I'll lay out the steps if you are unfamiliar with Regedit. make a new restore point before you do it, just as a precaution.

Start> Type in regedit> Click on regedit exe in results that appear (if you have UAC turned on, you will need to tell it yes to accept)

Navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

When you have that location open, right click on a blank area, left click on new, and select DWORD (32-bit)

Create a new value named ExtendedUIHoverTime

When the value has been created, double-click on the ExtendedUIHoverTime value and click on the Decimal option.

In the Value data: field enter the delay you want. For every second you want the delay you should add 1000. So if you want a 1 second delay you should enter 1000 into this field. For 2 second enter 2000...10000 should do it (10 seconds)

When done press the OK button and then close the Registry Editor.

This will mean that the "popup" will still popup, but not on a quick hover of your cursor. Don't go crazy with too high a value.

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Hello Matthew24, you can effectively disable that by creating a new subkey in the registry. I'll lay out the steps if you are unfamiliar with Regedit. make a new restore point before you do it, just as a precaution.

Start> Type in regedit> Click on regedit exe in results that appear (if you have UAC turned on, you will need to tell it yes to accept)

Navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

When you have that location open, right click on a blank area, left click on new, and select DWORD (32-bit)

Create a new value named ExtendedUIHoverTime

When the value has been created, double-click on the ExtendedUIHoverTime value and click on the Decimal option.

In the Value data: field enter the delay you want. For every second you want the delay you should add 1000. So if you want a 1 second delay you should enter 1000 into this field. For 2 second enter 2000...10000 should do it (10 seconds)

When done press the OK button and then close the Registry Editor.

This will mean that the "popup" will still popup, but not on a quick hover of your cursor. Don't go crazy with too high a value.

A Guy
Thank you for your help, but I'm afraid it didn't really do much.. I put the value at 200,000 and it still popped up pretty quick. (Yes I hit okay and exited the registry editor before I tested it..)

Do I have any more options? I'm worried that it's impossible to remove this preview seeing as it's nowhere else online...

thank you for all your help thus far,
-matthew
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jun 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I said don't go crazy with the value Try again with 10000 say, see if that doesn't work. A Guy

P.S. If that doesn't work, delete the key you just made, and create a new one using same method, and name it

ThumbnailLivePreviewHoverTime

Same process, again, don't choose too high a delay, that can often break the key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I said don't go crazy with the value Try again with 10000 say, see if that doesn't work. A Guy
I actually deleted the registry entree, restarted and redid it entirely. It did not work, I moved it up to 10000 then 20000 then 30000 no difference... what should I do now?

EDIT: I also did try the other registry name you just mention.. no luck, I even tried it at 2000. Two things I failed to mention are that I'm running the classic theme and that my seven in 64-bit.. so maybe that has something to do with anything? that "D-word" think said 32bit... should it be 64?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

No DWords are 32 bit. Sorry none of these worked, these are methods that have worked for others. Perhaps someone else will have some other ideas. I am sorry I was unable to help you. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
No DWords are 32 bit. Sorry none of these worked, these are methods that have worked for others. Perhaps someone else will have some other ideas. I am sorry I was unable to help you. A Guy
Hey it's alright, you've given time to me and for that I thank you.

Maybe it's just my installation.. I'm not too sure. Hah. Can you link me to anymore threads on this on the site? Maybe we're missing something?

Thanks for your assistance and time,
-Matthew
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Glad to help. Hadn't thought to look for other threads about it here. Use the search or google "thumbnail preview delay seven forum" or such. Good luck, if you get it done, make sure to share here how you did it. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Matthew24 View Post
Hi,

I'm constantly trying to tweak my 7 installation to my idea of perfection.. I can't seen to remove the text preview thumbnail though. Would this be a registry edit or an option that needs changed? It's killing me, I edited the registry to remove the image thumbnails (I hate anything visual that takes away from performance haah.)

The "text preview thumbnail" that I want to remove can be seen in the picture below, it's annoying me to no that I can't remove it myself nor find any guide online for it lol.



Alternatively, here is a link to the image: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thank you and I hope this serves as a guide for anyone who ran into this as well.
-Matthew
If you have a Windows 7 Home version then you're stuck, I'm afraid. Otherwise you can use group policy ...

Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnails Preview How to Enable/Disable or Turnoff
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Removing text preview..




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Removing text preview..
Thread Forum
Fonts will NO LONGER preview in Preview Pane Customization
File Browser: Removing the text from the top Customization
taskbar window preview somehow changed to text General Discussion
Solved Removing Text/Name from Desktop Icon. General Discussion
Removing titlebar text Customization
Removing text overlays when hovering over something General Discussion
[Help] Removing Blod text in windows Virtualization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33