How to Setup a Media Center Movie Library in Windows 7
Examples: With & without poster information. Before you start: NOTE: Special thanks to DemonSeed for the file2folder batch file
This tutorial will show how to manage your movie library in Media Center, including poster images & full synopsis information.
1. Click on the Download button below to download the file2folder.zip file and extract the file2folder.bat file to the drive containing your movie files (e.g. G:\MOVIES). Run the file which will create directories based on the movie file name (e.g. Babylon A.D.avi will have the directory Babylon A.D created) and the movie file moved to the directory.
2. Search for & download a file for the movie you would like as a poster and save it in the movie folder and name it folder.jpg. Do this for each movie.
I would advise at least 2GB of memory as due to the size of the folder.jpg files there is a lot of memory used. You could (like me) resize all folder.jpg files to a width of 300 pixels & maintain aspect ratio.
1. Run Media Center and navigate to Movies
2. Open movie library, you should notice no movies shown
3. Right-Click within the inner (empty area) and select Manage Library, you will be shown the 'Add folders' wizard. Select 'Add folders to the library' and click next
4. Select the location where your drive with the videos is stored, and click on next.
5. Navigate to the folder where your videos are stored (e.g. G:\MOVIES), and click next.
6. On the final screen select 'Yes, use these locations' and click finish
Now your folder is added, Media Center will show the Video folders (with posters if you downloaded an image file for each movie).
If you wish to include metadata you will need to download Yammm. The meta data will download the DVDID.XML file which will allow for Media Center to download full synopsis information for each movie
Recommended Yammm settings
These setting will automatically rename folders/files, download folder.jpg & DVDID.XML files for Media Center to read from.
The Yammm application has been updated to include Image Resizing
This will allow Media Center to use less memory when rendering folder images.
Update 2: More Synopsis I thought i'd include an example of how the DVDID.XML file works. 1, Full synopsis information
It's recommended that you use a setting of 92 Quality & 300x420 medium size as this will greatly reduce the amount of memory used by 7MC when viewing a large movie library
2, Similar Movies shown, with posters
3, Click the similar movie to get full details of that movie
4, Cast & Crew information
5, Click on a name to see a fimography (film list) relating to that actor/director