How to Customize the Notification Area Icons in Windows 7
This will show you how to change the Notification Area icons to be any custom icon you would like instead in Windows 7.
To be safe and secured, it is better to Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
before starting any customization activities. Moreover, I recommend to have manual backup (copy and paste in a secured place) of the files before modifying, so that it may be changed easily to default as and when it is needed .
(In the preview, the icons are from Alpha Dista Pack
NOTE: To change the volume icon, it is to edit SndVolSSO.dll ; situated in C:\Windows\system32
Change Volume Notification Icon
1. Open Resource Hacker ; Browse to C:\Windows\system32\SndVolSSO.dll .
2. Change the icon group numbers in the box with appropriate icons as stated in step 3.
3. Expand (click on theplus sign before) 120 , click on 1033 .
4. Now Click on Action > Replace icon . In the resulting window click on "Open File With a New Icon" and then "Replace" .
NOTE: If in between this action it says "Out of System Resources", dont worry, nad just click on "OK" button . If the original or replacement icon dont have all the 12 layers, such notification occurs. Do the same thing for the rest icon group numbers.
5. Now Click File > Save As ... give the name "SndVolSSO.dll ; and save it on Desktop.
6. Open System File Replacer, browse to the original first, then browse to the new, replace file and reboot . The change will take place after restart.
NOTE: To change the Network icon, it is to edit pnidui.dll , situated in C:Windows\system32
Change Network Notification Icon
1. Open Resource Hacker and browse to C:\Windows\System32\pnidui.dll
2. Change the icon groups located in the box with appropriate icons.
3. Proceed as in volume icon , when finished save the file as pnidui.dll on desktop.
4. Replace the newly created file with the original using System File Replacer and reboot . The change will take place just after the reboot .
NOTE: To change the Network icon, it is to edit ActionCenter.dll , situated in C:Windows\system32
Change Action Center Notification Icon
1. Open Resource Hacker and browse to C:\Windows\System32\ActionCenter.dll
2. Change the icon groups located in the box with appropriate icons . (Usually it is not needed to change 8 and 9; but you may do it if you want .)
3. Proceed as in volume icon , when finished save the file as ActionCenter.dll on desktop .
4. Replace the newly created file with the original using System File Replacer and reboot. The change will take place just after the reboot .
How to Restore Default Icons
To restore defaults, you are to get the dll files back up manually, in a secured place . Just replace the modded files in system location with the original dll files from your backup, and restart your computer . All the defaults will be restored . This tutorial is incomplete ; as I dont know which file reveals the Power (battery) icon . If anybody can add it, it would be great .