Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
For Windows 7 without SP1, you will need to turn off a Windows Feature (ex: Windows Gadget Platform), and restart the computer before this tutorial will work. Afterwards, you can turn back on the Windows Feature again.
Making a mistake while modifying system files can render your Windows 7 installation unusable. To be safe, you should create a restore point before doing this tutorial in case you need to do a system restore at boot using the restore point to undo any mistakes that may be made.
EXAMPLE: Default and Changed "Logging off..." Text Message at Shut Down NOTE:By default you get a Logging off... message right before the Shutting down... message after you shut down the computer.
Change "Logging off..." Text Message at Log off or Shut Down
1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winlogon.exe.mui. (see screenshot below)
The en-US folder is in English Windows 7 copies. If you have a non-English Windows 7 copy, then this folder will have a different name reflecting your language instead. The table below are a few of the most common ones.
2.Take ownership of the winlogon.exe.mui file with your user account, and set it's permissions to Allow your user account Full Control. Close Windows Explorer when finished.
3. Copy the winlogon.exe.mui file to your desktop.
4. If you have not already, then download and install the latest version of Resource Hacker.
5. Right click on the Resource Hacker shortcut in Start Menu - All Programs, then click on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)
7. In Resource Hacker, click on File and Open. (see screenshot below)
8. Navigate to your Desktop, select All Files (*.*) in the Files of type drop down box, select the winlogon.exe.mui file, then click on the Open button. (see screenshot below)
9. In the left pane of Resource Hacker, expand String Table, and 63, to 1033. (see screenshot below)
10. In the right pane of 1033, replace the Logging off... text in quotes at the 1003 location with the text you want instead (ex: Logging off users...) within quotes, then click on the Compile Script button. (see screenshot above and below)
11. Click on File and Save, then close Resource Hacker. (see screenshot below)
12.Copy the modified winlogon.exe.mui file on your Desktop, and Paste it into the C:\Windows\System32\en-US folder from step 1. (see screenshot below step 1) NOTE:The en-US folder is in English Windows 7 copies. If you have a non-English Windows 7 copy, then this folder will have a different name reflecting your language instead.
13. Click on Copy and Replace. (see screenshot below)
14. If prompted, click on Continue (UAC) and Yes to approve.
15. Open a elevated command prompt, type mcbuilder, press Enter, then close the command prompt. (see screenshot below) NOTE:Thanks to Fimble for pointing this out.
16. Restart the computer.
17. Open the Start Menu and click on either Log off or Shut Down in the arrow menu to see the changes made. WARNING:Be sure to save anything that you have open first.
18. You can delete the winlogon.exe_original.mui backup that ResHacker created on your desktop if you like since you can easily do OPTION TWO below to restore the default settings.
Restore Default "Logging off..." Text Message at Log off or Shut Down
1. Repeat OPTION ONE above, but type Logging off... in step 10 instead.
Computer type PC/Desktop System Manufacturer/Model Number Dell OP7010 OS Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) Memory 16GB Monitor(s) Displays 4 Dell 24" LCD Screen Resolution 1280x1024
Keyboard Dell Mouse Dell Optical Internet Speed 40meg