How to Reset the Notification Area Icons Cache in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
This will show you how reset the Notification Area Icons cache to fix any currupted icons and remove any old icons of uninstalled programs from the Notification area Icons hide or show settings in Windows 7/8 and Vista.
EXAMPLE: Windows 7 and Windows 8 "Notification Area Icons" Before and After Reset
EXAMPLE: Vista "Customize Notification Icons" Before and After Reset
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
This .bat (batch) file will confirm with you to kill the explorer.exe process, delete the registry keys IconStreams and PastIconsStream, restart the explorer.exe process, and confirm with you to restart the computer.
2.Save the .bat file to your desktop.
3. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it, click/tap on Run (if prompted by UAC), and follow the onscreen instructions in the command prompt. NOTE:If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the .bat file.
4. This is what you will see if the registry keys IconStreams and PastIconsStream have already been deleted.
5. This is what you will see if the registry keys IconStreams and PastIconsStream have not already been deleted.
6. After the computer restarts, the registry keys IconStreams and PastIconsStream will automatically be recreated the next time you make any change to the notification area icons in Windows 7/8 and Vista.
Nevermind, i looked into control panel and i got notification icons area again. I removed Action Center from the list and its back again. So basically, in order to have that arrow, you should have atleast 1 icon hidden.
Last edited by Dinesh; 16 Jul 2009 at 12:20 PM..
Reason: listed images properly.