Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer


02 Jan 2011   #519
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to New Computer

To start, a warning from Microsoft:

...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2013   #520
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Sometimes sysprep simply doesn't work. And you have to sysprep BEFORE swapping motherboard, which is impossible in case motherboard becomes faulty all of a sudden. In those cases you can do Paragon P2P adjust OS. It automatically injects missing critical drivers to make system bootable again. Do it AFTER motherboard swap, or after transfering to new computer. Very easy procedure. It injects drivers from windows repositry or any folders you select. Normally all is done with a few clicks.... only Windows 7 standard sata driver (which is on harddisk anyway) needs to be installed to make it bootable.

Of course you have to install motherboard drivers from motherboard CD afterwards. Afterwards also check "device manager" for devices without drivers and other problems listed there.

Manual (pdf) and ISO can be found on my dropbox. Burn ISO to DVD and boot from that DVD https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogvkez2hnab1isv/GMh6pwmwcP


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2013   #521
iamjim

Win7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
. . . only Windows 7 standard sata driver (which is on harddisk anyway) needs to be installed to make it bootable.
I'm not sure what that means. Does that happen automatically or does something special have to be done?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2013   #522
churin

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Sometimes sysprep simply doesn't work. And you have to sysprep BEFORE swapping motherboard, which is impossible in case motherboard becomes faulty all of a sudden. In those cases you can do Paragon P2P adjust OS. It automatically injects missing critical drivers to make system bootable again. Do it AFTER motherboard swap, or after transfering to new computer. Very easy procedure. It injects drivers from windows repositry or any folders you select. Normally all is done with a few clicks.... only Windows 7 standard sata driver (which is on harddisk anyway) needs to be installed to make it bootable.

Of course you have to install motherboard drivers from motherboard CD afterwards. Afterwards also check "device manager" for devices without drivers and other problems listed there.

Manual (pdf) and ISO can be found on my dropbox. Burn ISO to DVD and boot from that DVD https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogvkez2hnab1isv/GMh6pwmwcP
Is my understanding correct which is that I create a Windows 7 backup image on old machine in whatever way, restore it on a new machine, and if it fails to boot then I use the Paragon tool to make it boot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2013   #523
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iamjim View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
. . . only Windows 7 standard sata driver (which is on harddisk anyway) needs to be installed to make it bootable.
I'm not sure what that means. Does that happen automatically or does something special have to be done?
The Adjust OS routine automatically uninstalls the special SATA driver (for old chipset not present on new motherboard). Afterwards it automatically installs the standard Windows 7 sata driver which works with most chipsets.

In very few cases .. less than 3% it doesn't work with the standard stuff. But in that case, even adjust os can't find the Windows 7 OS to adjust (it can't find the physical drive). So if you can select the Windows 7 instance there.. you know for sure it will work.

In that case (if it can't find the drive) you have to inject drivers in WINPE itself. See page 22 of manual. After that it has the drivers and all goes fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Apr 2013   #524
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Sometimes sysprep simply doesn't work. And you have to sysprep BEFORE swapping motherboard, which is impossible in case motherboard becomes faulty all of a sudden. In those cases you can do Paragon P2P adjust OS. It automatically injects missing critical drivers to make system bootable again. Do it AFTER motherboard swap, or after transfering to new computer. Very easy procedure. It injects drivers from windows repositry or any folders you select. Normally all is done with a few clicks.... only Windows 7 standard sata driver (which is on harddisk anyway) needs to be installed to make it bootable.

Of course you have to install motherboard drivers from motherboard CD afterwards. Afterwards also check "device manager" for devices without drivers and other problems listed there.

Manual (pdf) and ISO can be found on my dropbox. Burn ISO to DVD and boot from that DVD https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogvkez2hnab1isv/GMh6pwmwcP
Is my understanding correct which is that I create a Windows 7 backup image on old machine in whatever way, restore it on a new machine, and if it fails to boot then I use the Paragon tool to make it boot?
Windows 7 restore will clean the disk automatically first, so all is gone on that disk. Be sure new disk is at least as large as old disk. It will logically be an exact copy (if you backupped all partitions). So all partitions have same size as before and are on same spot.

Use P2P Adjust OS afterwards.

You can resize/move partitions later using Partition Wizard Free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2013   #525
churin

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft
Windows 7 restore will clean the disk automatically first, so all is gone on that disk. Be sure new disk is at least as large as old disk. It will logically an exact copy (if you backupped all partitions). So all partitions have same size as before and are on same spot.

Use P2P Adjust OS afterwards.

You can resize/move partitions later using Partition Wizard Free.
I gather my understanding is correct.
What I am interested in is restoring just one partition backup, not multiple partitions or a whole disk which includes more than one partitions.

What are "P2P" and "Partition Wizard" ?

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2013   #526
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft
Windows 7 restore will clean the disk automatically first, so all is gone on that disk. Be sure new disk is at least as large as old disk. It will logically an exact copy (if you backupped all partitions). So all partitions have same size as before and are on same spot.

Use P2P Adjust OS afterwards.

You can resize/move partitions later using Partition Wizard Free.
I gather my understanding is correct.
What I am interested in is restoring just one partition backup, not multiple partitions or a whole disk which includes more than one partitions.

What are "P2P" and "Partition Wizard" ?

.
P2P means Physical to Physical, so from one physical machine to another. Partition Wizard Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition. is a FREE partition manager.

With Windows 7 built-in backup utility you can backup 1 or more partitions. At least the ACTIVE partition (with bootmanager and bootmenu) and Windows 7 partition will be backupped. If you want you can include more partitions as well.

On restore, Windows 7 checks if you restore to original disk. It must have same partition layout as before!! So no resized partitions, no deleted, no extra partitions. It it so it's not original as it was at time of backup... it cleans the disk totally and makes the old structure itself.

As a result, on restore all partitions have same size as time of backup. So you can't restore to a smalller disk!

Imaging with free Macrium that is more flexible tool! It can resize on restore (use winpe version if restoring!). It can restore to smaller disk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2013   #527
axzg31

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Life Saver

Hi Kari,

You saved my life and you have thought an amazing thing! A million thanks for this great tutorial/post!!!! Simply amazing!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2013   #528
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Hi Axzg31, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Good to know it worked for you. A thank you is always nice, especially when you seem to have joined the forums just to say it. It gives an extra vanity boost .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2013   #529
Elric

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 
Unprepared old HDD and OS on new PC

Hello there,

I've just travelled to another country with all my original internal and external HDDs.
On one of the hard-drives is the installation of the original OS (Win 7 Ultimate -32). For various reasons, I couldn't bring the old PC with me and I have made no changes (or any other preparations) to the OS beforehand. Now, I have received a new PC (with new and different hardware) and would like to ask if there's a way to still make the old OS load and work?

Please excuse me if this question has been already raised in this thread.

Thanks in advance!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Is it possible to transfer installation to different Windows version? Installation & Setup
Windows Easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit computer to a General Discussion
Windows 7 transfer to new computer questions Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Easy Transfer can't connect to your other computer Installation & Setup
Solved Transfer Windows 7 to New Computer Installation & Setup
XP computer locks up, windows easy transfer to ext HDD Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Installation - Computer Shuts Off During Installation Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33