Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

02 Jan 2011   #549
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center
 
 
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to New Computer

To start, a warning from Microsoft:

...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2013   #550
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center
 
 

SSD is something I know nothing about, let's see if some of SSD specialists have an idea. Worst case scenario is the reinstall.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2013   #551
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff1 View Post
So here's where I am at. Tried to edit the registry and it gave me an error msg (Error writing the value's new contents). I tried it for each one and it gave me the same error message each time. So I removed IE 10 and it went back to 8. Then I did the system prep process and it worked.(no error message) The computer shut down. I removed the old mobo, installed the new one, started up the computer, it said new processor installed, went into the BIOS, made sure the SSD was the boot drive and restarted the computer. When it came back on it said (Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key). I went back into the BIOS and notice my SSD is showing as a SSD-Generic. At this point I am stuck as I can't get it to boot from this point. It is an Asus P8Q77-M mobo.
How did you fill the SSD with data? From backup on external harddisk?

Try to boot from Windows 7 install disk (repair computer) or Windows 7 system repair disk. Does it see the SSD and files on it? Enter command prompt and do DIR C: or DIR E: or DIR F:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2013   #552
Desther

Windows 7 Home 64
 
 

What happens if I don't do sysprep before swapping my drive into a completely new pc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2013   #553
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Desther View Post
What happens if I don't do sysprep before swapping my drive into a completely new pc?
So you swap whole pc. We call that a motherboard swap. In case your motherboard is faulty you can't even sysprep. In that case Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap


Most important is:
  • Both old and new motherboard have disk connected to SATA, or both IDE
  • They must use same SATA driver (or IDE driver)
So replace driver with the standard "Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA controller" before swap. After that you can swap to new pc without issues (not always).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html

Of course install all new pc drivers afterwards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2013   #554
Jeff1

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Long story short, looks like everything is working now. I'm not totally sure why, but it is. I restarted the computer a few times, went into the BIOS several times and at first my SSD was not being recognized, then suddenly, there it was. I made it the boot drive and then the rest of System Prep happened as Kari said it would. I followed along, deleted the Test account I had set up and now I am updating the drivers for the new mobo. Thanks for everyone's help, especially Kari. We can consider this resolved and closed. Not sure how to do that though....lol! Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2013   #555
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center
 
 

Thanks for telling the good news, Jeff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2013   #556
Desther

Windows 7 Home 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Desther View Post
What happens if I don't do sysprep before swapping my drive into a completely new pc?
So you swap whole pc. We call that a motherboard swap. In case your motherboard is faulty you can't even sysprep. In that case Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap


Most important is:
  • Both old and new motherboard have disk connected to SATA, or both IDE
  • They must use same SATA driver (or IDE driver)
So replace driver with the standard "Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA controller" before swap. After that you can swap to new pc without issues (not always).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html

Of course install all new pc drivers afterwards.
Thank you for the reply. My SATA controller looks like this:

So should it be ok just to swap straight into a new pc even without Paragon?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2013   #557
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Desther View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Desther View Post
What happens if I don't do sysprep before swapping my drive into a completely new pc?
So you swap whole pc. We call that a motherboard swap. In case your motherboard is faulty you can't even sysprep. In that case Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap



Most important is:
  • Both old and new motherboard have disk connected to SATA, or both IDE
  • They must use same SATA driver (or IDE driver)
So replace driver with the standard "Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA controller" before swap. After that you can swap to new pc without issues (not always).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html

Of course install all new pc drivers afterwards.
Thank you for the reply. My SATA controller looks like this:

So should it be ok just to swap straight into a new pc even without Paragon?
I think it should work without PARAGON. Better do now:
  1. Install new motherboard drivers. (if possible)
  2. Uninstall VGA adapters/sound drivers/network drivers as well.
  3. Uninstall related software to point 2.
  4. shutdown, power off, replace motherboard
Step 2 and 3 are just to cleanup things. With wrong graphics driver... system can have problem booting. But you can fix that from "safe mode" (uninstall driver within safe mode).

Most important thing: It must be booting whatsoever. SATA driver ... is already default, so fine. If it boots, you can fix problems within Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2013   #558
andrew129260

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Great job! Thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2013   #559
dilipb

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

This sounds promising except for the initial warning about RAID. I'm going from a system with a RAID data drive (the boot drive is not RAIDed) to a new system that has an SSD boot drive and, again, RAIDed data drive. I can easily clone the data drive, but what is the easiest approach to get my system looking the same as the old one?

The old computer is Intel Core i7 870 Quad Core 2.93 GHz processor with 16GB memory. I can't find the specs of the new one I'm going to get, but it's a current Intel chipset. Windows 7 OEM is installed on both - I bought a license key for each one (and hope to sell the old computer with Windows 7 ready to go for the new person). Thanks!

Dilip
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer





Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Is it possible to transfer installation to different Windows version? Installation & Setup
Windows Easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit computer to a General Discussion
Windows 7 transfer to new computer questions Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Easy Transfer can't connect to your other computer Installation & Setup
Solved Transfer Windows 7 to New Computer Installation & Setup
XP computer locks up, windows easy transfer to ext HDD Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Installation - Computer Shuts Off During Installation Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33