Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer


02 Jan 2011   #559
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to New Computer

To start, a warning from Microsoft:

...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2013   #560
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dilipb View Post
This sounds promising except for the initial warning about RAID. I'm going from a system with a RAID data drive (the boot drive is not RAIDed) to a new system that has an SSD boot drive and, again, RAIDed data drive. I can easily clone the data drive, but what is the easiest approach to get my system looking the same as the old one?

The old computer is Intel Core i7 870 Quad Core 2.93 GHz processor with 16GB memory. I can't find the specs of the new one I'm going to get, but it's a current Intel chipset. Windows 7 OEM is installed on both - I bought a license key for each one (and hope to sell the old computer with Windows 7 ready to go for the new person). Thanks!

Dilip
Hiyya dilip mate no offence but your query - best done through a new thread as this one will likely be marked as solved and maybe not read again. Just make sure you have all your specs as is and what is going to be required on board when you do


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2013   #561
dilipb

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Thanks. I'll try a new thread and didn't realize this was not the place to post. BTW, RAID may not be an issue as I was planning on copying the data drive to an external hard disk, then copying from that hard disk to the new data drive. The fact that the two computers have RAIDed data drives seems irrelevant. Maybe I could follow the tutorial here since the OS drive is not in a RAID, though the new one is an SSD? Also, I found built-in Windows Easy Transfer, but that doesn't move programs. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2013   #562
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

If it is about this tutorial, you can post here, probably the best place to post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2013   #563
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dilipb View Post
Thanks. I'll try a new thread and didn't realize this was not the place to post. BTW, RAID may not be an issue as I was planning on copying the data drive to an external hard disk, then copying from that hard disk to the new data drive. The fact that the two computers have RAIDed data drives seems irrelevant. Maybe I could follow the tutorial here since the OS drive is not in a RAID, though the new one is an SSD? Also, I found built-in Windows Easy Transfer, but that doesn't move programs. Thanks!
Oops sorry dilip I forgot we were in a tutorial as Derek pointed out

Just ask away my friend
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Sep 2013   #564
dilipb

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Can I use this approach to get up and running on my new computer?

Thanks. Are there suggestions given that I do have RAID or, as my last comment above, is it the case that RAID is a non-issue as my boot drive is not in a RAID? Thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dilipb View Post
Thanks. I'll try a new thread and didn't realize this was not the place to post. BTW, RAID may not be an issue as I was planning on copying the data drive to an external hard disk, then copying from that hard disk to the new data drive. The fact that the two computers have RAIDed data drives seems irrelevant. Maybe I could follow the tutorial here since the OS drive is not in a RAID, though the new one is an SSD? Also, I found built-in Windows Easy Transfer, but that doesn't move programs. Thanks!
Oops sorry dilip I forgot we were in a tutorial as Derek pointed out

Just ask away my friend
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #565
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Something I cannot answer dilip as I have never used RAID the other s are far more knowledgeable re that stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #566
pat222

windows7 home premium x64
 
 

its a bit late but im new so thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2013   #567
kevsosm00th

64bit
 
 

The first method tells me there has been a fatal error.. what should I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2013   #568
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevsosm00th View Post
The first method tells me there has been a fatal error.. what should I do?
Hi, welcome to the Seven Forums. Did you read the tutorial through before sysprepping your Windows? This quote is from the end of the tutorial:

Quote:
I have tested all above mentioned methods with all versions of Windows 7, from Starter to Enterprise. It works every time, with one exception: for reasons unknown to me, sysprep seems sometimes dislike Windows Media Player networking service, which is by default started every time Windows 7 starts. In about every third time I've done this, I've got an error message when trying to generalize:
However, this is not a big problem. You just need to stop the WMP networking service, and run sysprep with generalize option again. You can stop the service in question by typing net stop WMPNetworkSvc to command prompt, and hitting Enter:
Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2013   #569
kevsosm00th

64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevsosm00th View Post
The first method tells me there has been a fatal error.. what should I do?
Hi, welcome to the Seven Forums. Did you read the tutorial through before sysprepping your Windows? This quote is from the end of the tutorial:

Quote:
I have tested all above mentioned methods with all versions of Windows 7, from Starter to Enterprise. It works every time, with one exception: for reasons unknown to me, sysprep seems sometimes dislike Windows Media Player networking service, which is by default started every time Windows 7 starts. In about every third time I've done this, I've got an error message when trying to generalize:
However, this is not a big problem. You just need to stop the WMP networking service, and run sysprep with generalize option again. You can stop the service in question by typing net stop WMPNetworkSvc to command prompt, and hitting Enter:
Kari
Thank you very much for you fast reply. I will try to do this once I get home and if it doesn't work I will send u screen shots of what happens
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Is it possible to transfer installation to different Windows version? Installation & Setup
Windows Easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit computer to a General Discussion
Windows 7 transfer to new computer questions Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Easy Transfer can't connect to your other computer Installation & Setup
Solved Transfer Windows 7 to New Computer Installation & Setup
XP computer locks up, windows easy transfer to ext HDD Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Installation - Computer Shuts Off During Installation Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33