Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File

29 Mar 2012   #450
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I've used my Win 7 SP1 dvd several times for clean installs and saves a bunch of time, but now that we've had it for over a year there are still 60 to 70 updates that need to be done. Maybe it's time for SP 2, that would speed things up even more.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Mar 2012   #451
metheone

windows 7 professional 32 bit
 
 
still unable to repair install

Hi, Just burned a slipstream sp1 dvd, no other integrated updates, (great instructions, thanks). Tried to perform a repair install, chose the upgrade option and after the compatibility search received the same message as before - cannot perform the upgrade as the current version of windows is newer than the one I am trying to install.
Have I missed something?
Thanks, Mick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #452
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Mick, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but from the TIP box at the top of the tutorial.


Tip   Tip
  • You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.
  • You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed slipstream Windows 7 SP1.
  • You can use a Windows 7 with SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail) to do a repair install with on a current slipstream Windows 7 SP1 installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #453
metheone

windows 7 professional 32 bit
 
 

Oops. Ok. Thanks. At least I can do a fresh install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2012   #454
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You're most welcome Mick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2012   #455
metheone

windows 7 professional 32 bit
 
 

Befor I do a clean install, which I want to avoid if poss, could I uninstall SP1 and the use the slipstream dvd to do a repair? If so, would it install SP1 at the same time? Need to try a repair as having problems installing new software, not all, eg flash payer - run the setup exe and the file is moved to a temp folder, nothing else happens and setup exe shows as a process in task manager. Also happens with corel paintshop pro. Some other apps, when opened, no window shows on desktop though icon shows on task bar. Tried what I know and decided a repair install was worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2012   #456
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Mick,

Sorry, but you cannot do a repair install with a slipstream installation DVD/USB.

As per: Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #457
DoctorBrown

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Hello Brink,

Wow, with this tool, you've made it almost painless to create a very custom Win 7 install ISO with SP1 and all updates. After doing some research, and if I understand it correctly, it's painfully clear that is almost impossible to do a Windows Repair install anymore without resorting to either a full reinstall or get a slipstreamed version on your system and repair intall from there.

Assuming I haven't just overlooked it here, I have a couple questions about this process that I'm not clear on.

Scenario:
I've taken a base Win 7 install iso, then created a slipstreamed iso which includes SP1 and many updates. When I install this in Virtual Box, it installs perfectly. But I find I missed a few updates so WU asks me to install these. Fine so far. Question: What is the correct process to create a new iso that includes these missed updates and possibly future updates? I tried starting with the iso I created but I can't seem to get the new updates to be incorporated.

I'm wondering because if I want to create a newer iso as time goes by, do I need to keep all the update files that I downloaded. That's a bit of disk space to hold on to, almost 20 GBytes at the moment.

Questions:
I don't really see this answered. It's stated that you can't do an repair update from the slipstreamed Win7 w/SP1. Is it known why that's the case? Assuming that I created an iso that had exactly all the latest updates and matched what's installed on my system at the moment, it seems that the version should be the same. Why does Windows reject that as a valid repair update candidate?

When you have many updates, does the order you specify them matter? If so, how would we know the proper order? Some of the missed updates are much older. (I apparently didn't go back to a far enough date in my selection process.)

Something maybe helpful:
As I was trying to figure out how to get 100+ updates I found that if I go to the Windows Update Catalog, I could search and filter and, assuming I selected all the ones I needed, download them all in one swoop. Saved a bunch of time!! You can find it by searching on Windows Update Catalog. Maybe it's been mentioned before, but didn't see it in this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #458
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Doc Brown, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Answers inline.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorBrown View Post
Scenario:
I've taken a base Win 7 install iso, then created a slipstreamed iso which includes SP1 and many updates. When I install this in Virtual Box, it installs perfectly. But I find I missed a few updates so WU asks me to install these. Fine so far. Question: What is the correct process to create a new iso that includes these missed updates and possibly future updates? I tried starting with the iso I created but I can't seem to get the new updates to be incorporated.
You should normall be able to add new updates by using steps 5, 7, 12, 12G, and 15 when doing the tutorial. What is it doing or telling you when you try to add updates?
Quote:
I'm wondering because if I want to create a newer iso as time goes by, do I need to keep all the update files that I downloaded. That's a bit of disk space to hold on to, almost 20 GBytes at the moment.
If you have the HDD space, then keeping all of the MSU files for the Windows Updates would be the safest thing to do in case you ever needed to start over, or just wanted to create a new ISO with them. This way you do not risk having to download them again.
Quote:
I don't really see this answered. It's stated that you can't do an repair update from the slipstreamed Win7 w/SP1. Is it known why that's the case? Assuming that I created an iso that had exactly all the latest updates and matched what's installed on my system at the moment, it seems that the version should be the same. Why does Windows reject that as a valid repair update candidate?
Something about the process that is used to create the slipstream disc just makes it unusable to use to do a repair install with. I don't know the exact reasons for why though.
Quote:
When you have many updates, does the order you specify them matter? If so, how would we know the proper order? Some of the missed updates are much older. (I apparently didn't go back to a far enough date in my selection process.)
For the best results, they should be included in the same order that they would have been installed in Windows Updates. You would just go by the "Date Installed" and the order listed in View update history and in Installed Updates.
Quote:
As I was trying to figure out how to get 100+ updates I found that if I go to the Windows Update Catalog, I could search and filter and, assuming I selected all the ones I needed, download them all in one swoop. Saved a bunch of time!! You can find it by searching on Windows Update Catalog. Maybe it's been mentioned before, but didn't see it in this thread.
Yeah, that's the fun part there is to make sure you have the correct ones selected.
Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #459
DoctorBrown

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Doc Brown, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Answers inline.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorBrown View Post
Scenario:
I've taken a base Win 7 install iso, then created a slipstreamed iso which includes SP1 and many updates. When I install this in Virtual Box, it installs perfectly. But I find I missed a few updates so WU asks me to install these. Fine so far. Question: What is the correct process to create a new iso that includes these missed updates and possibly future updates? I tried starting with the iso I created but I can't seem to get the new updates to be incorporated.
You should normall be able to add new updates by using steps 5, 7, 12, 12G, and 15 when doing the tutorial. What is it doing or telling you when you try to add updates?
I discovered that I was forgetting to 'Apply' the Updates added to the Integration process. When I did it, the 'Commit' Button was available. Since the updates I missed were some of the oldest ones, it appears that they undid later updates. The iso I built from only needed 8 updates, but when I tried to just include those 8, the new install required 45. Back to square one. But at least I have all the files (I hope). I'm sure glad I have Virtual Box to test this on.

Quote:
Quote:
When you have many updates, does the order you specify them matter? If so, how would we know the proper order? Some of the missed updates are much older. (I apparently didn't go back to a far enough date in my selection process.)
For the best results, they should be included in the same order that they would have been installed in Windows Updates. You would just go by the "Date Installed" and the order listed in View update history and in Installed Updates.
So to make that happen I should put them in the Integration list in the desired order? Do you know any way to sort them? I'll look into extracting the info from my existing system and using that. When I use the Multiple option, does it add them in the order it encounters the files? The mass download I did created a separate folder for each KB article, I think. But not 100%. I'm thinking of renaming the folders to make the sort in order.

Gotta be an easier way to get these in the correct order.

Quote:
Hope this helps,
Shawn
Yes this was helpful. Thanks for all the info.
John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD
How to slipstream SATA drivers into Windows XP setup CD, on your dual boot PC with Windows 7 or Vista When you install Win XP, setup can not find your Hard Drive. 1) Download & Install nLite
Tutorials
Slipstream fixes into Windows 7 SP1
Hi there since at the moment there doesn't seem any inclination for Ms to provide an SP2 for W7 - are there any decent ways to download manually (Not Install) all the updates to W7 from after SP1 to current and then slipstream these into an SP1 install set (either DVD or USB). It was easy with...
Installation & Setup
Slipstream updates into Windows 7 AIO ISO
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to slipstream SP1 plus post-SP1 updates into an All in one Windows 7 ISO that includes all editions of Windows 7 x64 and x86 architectures. I appreciate any help :)
Installation & Setup
SATA driver for Windows XP Slipstream
I would like to try installing a dual boot of Windows XP Professional x86 with Windows 7 Professional x64 on a single hard drive. I gave up last time but decided to try one last time. My question is about the SATA driver for my Seagate Barracuda HD. Now, the XP Professional x86 I am going...
Installation & Setup
To slipstream my upcoming Repair Install (or not to slipstream . . .)
Hi, I have experienced the SP1 install failure because not only had I been using Driver Sweeper, and Driver Cleaner.net before that. Even worse, I have switched between NVidia and ATI graphics cards two or three times, back and forth. Currently have an Nvidia card, so no ATI needed, other than...
Installation & Setup
Slipstream windows 7 - Any clues ?
Dear Friends I am new to this forum , I would like to know if there are any tools that can be used to slipstream windows 7. The windows 7 consumes around 8 to 10gb in full installation and i am unable to create a test environment because it takes around 45 minutes for a fresh installation. Plz...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App