Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

11 Mar 2011   #249
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

How to Physically Install a SSD and Transfer the Operating System


Introduction

If you never owned an SSD, you have missed something. Yes, they are not cheap, but Dollar per Dollar there...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #250
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

No am going to have to do a full reinstall as the darn thing boots so slowly even with the HDD disconnected.

Power on and the usual post stuff even though I have limited it to 20 in regedit as per Shawn's tut and it goes to a black screen that has loading operating system on it followed by a trail of dots then the flag spots start to arrive. So something is absolutely wrong with this drive's install.

Have tried two repair installs and still I get this awful boot up process. I think some stuff must have "migrated" across from the HDD as the UAC pic is one that I used when still using the HDD

Still I have that clone to get back some of the stuff I put on as I don't really want to have to set up the security again for example. Worst scenario is a dud drive I suppose.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #251
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Yeah, that is a problem. If you do not take your time for those things, it comes back and bites you.

For the data, I would make a partition on the HDD and just move the data there. I found that the INCLUDE method is much more convenient than moving the default locations of the folders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #252
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah, that is a problem. If you do not take your time for those things, it comes back and bites you.

For the data, I would make a partition on the HDD and just move the data there. I found that the INCLUDE method is much more convenient than moving the default locations of the folders.
Hum yeah Wolfgang I bit pretty good eh?

Now I just have to boot from the HDD and "clean all" the SSD then follow the tut? - erm properly this time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #253
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You might want to consider a secure erase of the SSD before you put new stuff on. Will improve performance. How to securely erase an SSD drive | How To - CNET

Then you have to define an aligned primary, active partition on the SSD. You can do that with Diskpart as descibed in the tut or use Disk Management. It aligns the partition as I have just found out myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Apr 2012   #254
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You might want to consider a secure erase of the SSD before you put new stuff on. Will improve performance. How to securely erase an SSD drive | How To - CNET

Then you have to define an aligned primary, active partition on the SSD. You can do that with Diskpart as descibed in the tut or use Disk Management. It aligns the partition as I have just found out myself.
Ok Wolfgang I might try that Parted magic app as the other looks sort of complicated - sorry my friend but I am more of a hardware nuts and bolts person than using DOS, programming etc stuff.

The rest is getting to be second nature now even though it's not got a thread on it (nice pun huh? LOL!!)

Oh and thanks for the time and patience - as always!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #255
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Absolutely - use Parted Magic. The other one you have to hot plug, else your BIOS will freeze. That is no good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #256
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Absolutely - use Parted Magic. The other one you have to hot plug, else your BIOS will freeze. That is no good.
Absolutely mate I couldn't face that happening - bad enough having to do this

As a matter of fact I was just about to download that app - great minds eh?

Hum that was a performance and a half but am going to try it out now though I was a little concerned re the warning it might make the drive go belly up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2012   #257
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Well have done the deed but nothings changed the whole machine is just a shambles. I just did a straight install of 7 to the SSD to avoid anything coming over from the HDD.

I cannot connect to the net or adjust the resolution and the boot problem remains exactly the same with that message re "Loading the operating system" followed by a trail of white dots forever then it will start up.

I did the safe erase and diskpart all successfully but the SSD is just not going to comply. Sort of beginning to wish I had stayed with the slow HDD's to be honest as nothing has gone right since I put the thing in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2012   #258
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

This is a very strange situation. A brand new installation should not produce any of those problems.

When you made the installation on the SSD. did you disconnect all the other disks? I have the feeling that your bootmgr might have landed on the HDD.

Disconnect the HDD and see whether the SSD boots. If not, then you have the problem I described. I cannot imagine how the troubles you are having are inherent in the SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2012   #259
ICit2lol

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
This is a very strange situation. A brand new installation should not produce any of those problems.

When you made the installation on the SSD. did you disconnect all the other disks? I have the feeling that your bootmgr might have landed on the HDD.

Disconnect the HDD and see whether the SSD boots. If not, then you have the problem I described. I cannot imagine how the troubles you are having are inherent in the SSD.
Look sorry for the rant Wolfgang but I did what I thought was right and it laded ok last time.

Yes I did disconnect the HDD before I booted and load the OS to the SSD and it is all in a bit of a mess.

Maybe tomorrow I might try a repair install or something.

Again sorry for the rant but I was pretty Pd' off at the time, I don't usually lose my rag like that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Solved Operating system install on external dock Installation & Setup
Solved Missing Operating System after bad HDD driver install Installation & Setup
Solved Computer won't install (seemingly) any operating system. General Discussion
Operating system crash requiring full re-install BSOD Help and Support
How to install another operating system Installation & Setup
Missing operating system message, cannot re-install windows 7 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33