Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

11 Mar 2011   #569
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

How to Physically Install a SSD and Transfer the Operating System


Introduction

If you never owned an SSD, you have missed something. Yes, they are not cheap, but Dollar per Dollar there...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #570
rovopio

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

so on macrium, you backup the hdd with bundled windows, and then you format it to becomes blank and use it.
have you ever try restoring the bundled windows image to the now-formatted hdd? does it work?

is it as simple as clicking backup, saving the backup, and restoring said backup to macrium reflect? (for the original hdd)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #571
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Now you are throwing up a few questions.

1. The new laptop with or without Windows. If you want my opinion, I would buy without Windows 8 and buy a Windows 7 for appr. $80 tp put on the SSD. Newegg was offering Windows 7 for $80. Alternatively, I would put Linux Mint Mate on it. A really nice OS that is for free. I have all the setup tutorials for it if you need them.

2. If you buy with Windows 8, then I think the best method is to use the unused space on the HDD for storage in the caddy. I do that all the time. Usually most of the space on those preinstalled HDDs is free. But it would require to have a look at Disk Management to see whether it is UEFI or MBR and the number of partitions already on it.

3. And yse, Macrium could image your whole HDD. But as I said, I would not go that route.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #572
rovopio

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Now you are throwing up a few questions.

1. The new laptop with or without Windows. If you want my opinion, I would buy without Windows 8 and buy a Windows 7 for appr. $80 tp put on the SSD. Newegg was offering Windows 7 for $80. Alternatively, I would put Linux Mint Mate on it. A really nice OS that is for free. I have all the setup tutorials for it if you need them.

2. If you buy with Windows 8, then I think the best method is to use the unused space on the HDD for storage in the caddy. I do that all the time. Usually most of the space on those preinstalled HDDs is free. But it would require to have a look at Disk Management to see whether it is UEFI or MBR and the number of partitions already on it.

3. And yse, Macrium could image your whole HDD. But as I said, I would not go that route.
i hv the windows 7 FPP. thats what i was using on my old laptop... but yeah these laptops they sell in south east asia they dont provide Windows 7 driver more often than not. whether its a cd or web download. only windows 8. thats why i hv to budget the win8 software as well :9

i prefer Windows 7 myself, no metro ui. it feels jarring against the desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #573
trinaz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 

Thanks much...!!!...I've read thru this but not sure about the following...Old Drive has 2 partitions...Windows 7 installation on 1st (primary-active-boot-system) partition of about 205GB - but only using about 80GB for the whole installation (130 or so GB's are free/unused on 1st partition)...and second (logical)... partition of about 250GB mostly empty and used only for storage...no programs, etc...on this second partition

My new Samsung SSD has 128 GB capacity....been using ATIH since version 2011. If use ATHI2013 to move my system (Windows instantiation and programs/files etc) from the current Windows 210GB partition on the HDD (205GB) to the new SSD (128GB) ??


I have multiple C: drive backups (full tibs of C: partition only - partition size 205GB out of 500GB)


Does the SSD's total GB have to be greater then the 1) C: tib file, 2) entire current C: drive...etc ??


Is there an issue with moving/copying/restoring from Acronis tib (on external USB drive) a 209 Partition from USB external backup drive to the Samsung 128GB SSD drive ? Actual use of Win 7 Pro 64bit partition on HDD is only 72GB of 205GB now ?


Thanks...TR


Attached Thumbnails
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System-current-box-setup.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #574
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The data on C has to fit on the SSD. The total size of the C partition is irrelevant. Looks like you have to get rid of a lot of stuff from C in order to fit. Two generic things you can do to reduce the size:

1. reduce the pagefile to 2GB
2. get rid of the hiberfile. The command is powercfg -h off

For the rest you have to see. What is all this stuff. A normal Windows 7 with a good set of installed programs (no games) should be less than 25GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2014   #575
bberkey1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

If I were to order a laptop and decide to swap the HDD for an SDD, but plan on installing a fresh install (never installed before) of 7 on the new ssd, would I just go about setting up the SSD as usual?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2014   #576
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bberkey1 View Post
If I were to order a laptop and decide to swap the HDD for an SDD, but plan on installing a fresh install (never installed before) of 7 on the new ssd, would I just go about setting up the SSD as usual?
Right, installing on a SSD is no different than installing on a HDD. There are a couple of things that the installer does for you which are essential for the SSD - it aligns the SSD and shuts off defrag. So once the OS is installed , there is nothing else for you to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2014   #577
bberkey1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bberkey1 View Post
If I were to order a laptop and decide to swap the HDD for an SDD, but plan on installing a fresh install (never installed before) of 7 on the new ssd, would I just go about setting up the SSD as usual?
Right, installing on a SSD is no different than installing on a HDD. There are a couple of things that the installer does for you which are essential for the SSD - it aligns the SSD and shuts off defrag. So once the OS is installed , there is nothing else for you to do.
Excellent. I'm thinking of a samsung 250gb, do you recommend setting up a partition for the OS? I was trying to figure out this out the last time I did a reinstall but couldn't decide on the size needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2014   #578
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
For the rest you have to see. What is all this stuff. A normal Windows 7 with a good set of installed programs (no games) should be less than 25GB.
Here is a snapshot of my OS partition.
Name:  C-usage.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  35.5 KB
No way I could get it down to 25GB and there are no games. The Winsxs is 11GB and I don't think there is anything I can do about that. Winsxs appears to be a bit of a garbage tip but you don't know the difference between the garbage and the good stuff. It looks like an MS Windows architecture weakness to me. I run regular disk cleanups.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2014   #579
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Don't know how you managed that. Mine is 7.7gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System





Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Solved Operating system install on external dock Installation & Setup
Solved Missing Operating System after bad HDD driver install Installation & Setup
Solved Computer won't install (seemingly) any operating system. General Discussion
Operating system crash requiring full re-install BSOD Help and Support
How to install another operating system Installation & Setup
Missing operating system message, cannot re-install windows 7 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33