Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Update - Extract an Update


07 Apr 2011   #9
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 
Windows Update - Extract an Update

How to Extract a Windows Update

information  ...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #10
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

That's great news.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #11
agiler

Win 7 Ultimate N X64
 
 

Hi Folks,
I have downloaded and extracted Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (1) via KB_Extractor. I know have a folder of 1.15GB on my b drive named KB_Extractor18143444. Can you please explain what tool or steps I now utilise to extract the .CAB files within this file, so I can execute the package.
Many Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2012   #12
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by agiler View Post
Hi Folks,
I have downloaded and extracted Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (1) via KB_Extractor. I know have a folder of 1.15GB on my b drive named KB_Extractor18143444. Can you please explain what tool or steps I now utilise to extract the .CAB files within this file, so I can execute the package.
Many Thanks
Hello, and welcome to the Seven Forums!

The .cab files should have already been extracted for you by the tool, into a new folder called KB_Extractor18143444\Extracted.

Do you have this folder?

Thanks a lot, and the very best of luck.

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #13
agiler

Win 7 Ultimate N X64
 
 

Hi Richard,
Thank you so much for your reply and assistance. I in fact have got an extracted folder approx 850 mb in size sitting within the KB_Extractor18143444 folder. The files listed are as follows:
Extracted (Folder 853 MB)
Windows6.1-968211-x64-pkgProperties (Text Doc)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (RAR File 311 mb)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (XML File)
WSUSSCAN (RAR File)
Can you please advise next steps with the extracted files or have I made an error along the path so far.
Many Thanks for your assistance and knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Apr 2012   #14
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by agiler View Post
Hi Richard,
Thank you so much for your reply and assistance. I in fact have got an extracted folder approx 850 mb in size sitting within the KB_Extractor18143444 folder. The files listed are as follows:
Extracted (Folder 853 MB)
Windows6.1-968211-x64-pkgProperties (Text Doc)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (RAR File 311 mb)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (XML File)
WSUSSCAN (RAR File)
Can you please advise next steps with the extracted files or have I made an error along the path so far.
Many Thanks for your assistance and knowledge.
Hello again!

You are most welcome

These files:

Windows6.1-968211-x64-pkgProperties (Text Doc)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (RAR File 311 mb)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (XML File)
WSUSSCAN (RAR File)

Are created by the tool as intermediary extraction files. You do not need these, and can safely ignore them for the time being.

The actual contents of the update is inside the Extracted folder. If you look inside it, you will see very many files are folders. These are the contents of the Windows Update.

How you use them really depends on what you wish to do with the update. If you are attempting to install the update, you do not need to perform a manual extraction of the package, or use this tool at all. Simply double click on the original .msu file which you downloaded from Microsoft, and an installer will pop up.

However, if you are experiencing a Windows Update error, and have identified the cause as a corrupt file, originating from this update, then you need to use my tool to extract a replacement. In this case, I will guide you through the process to safely replacing a corrupt file.

If you can tell me what you hope to achieve, I shall do my best to assist you further.

The very best of luck to you,

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2012   #15
agiler

Win 7 Ultimate N X64
 
 

Hello Richard, Firstly thank you for your reply and all your assistance thus far. I will exclude and delete the following files from the folder as well as any future correspondence:
Windows6.1-968211-x64-pkgProperties (Text Doc)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (RAR File 311 mb)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (XML File)
WSUSSCAN (RAR File).
As you have indicated, this leaves just the extracted files. I am using Win 7 Ultimate N and have found myself in wishing to install the windows Media Player & Media pack. I have downloaded the correct Win 7 X64 Update Pack .msu file, but it will not self execute or install, it opens states that it is installing then sits at that point forever, so I thought there would be another method of extracting and installing the files.
What I hope to achieve, is now that I have the files extracted, is a simple form of installing the extracted files (Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu) onto my system. I have read numerous forums and have tried all the other suggested methods in trying to install this update, but thus far to a Nil result.
If you can advise me further on the next steps to install them I would be most appreciative.
Again, many thanks for your time, assistance and knowledge.
Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #16
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by agiler View Post
Hello Richard, Firstly thank you for your reply and all your assistance thus far. I will exclude and delete the following files from the folder as well as any future correspondence:
Windows6.1-968211-x64-pkgProperties (Text Doc)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (RAR File 311 mb)
Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg (XML File)
WSUSSCAN (RAR File).
As you have indicated, this leaves just the extracted files. I am using Win 7 Ultimate N and have found myself in wishing to install the windows Media Player & Media pack. I have downloaded the correct Win 7 X64 Update Pack .msu file, but it will not self execute or install, it opens states that it is installing then sits at that point forever, so I thought there would be another method of extracting and installing the files.
What I hope to achieve, is now that I have the files extracted, is a simple form of installing the extracted files (Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu) onto my system. I have read numerous forums and have tried all the other suggested methods in trying to install this update, but thus far to a Nil result.
If you can advise me further on the next steps to install them I would be most appreciative.
Again, many thanks for your time, assistance and knowledge.
Regards
Hello again!

I am convinced that I replied a few days ago. Must have forgotten to submit Sorry about that.

Anyway, there is a complicated installation method from Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.cab, although I fear that it will suffer from the same problem as normal installation. You cannot install from those extracted files, because those are only files, and are missing a lot of other data (most notably all registry entries).

My first port of call for such a problem would be to clear the folder where Windows Updates are extracted to - maybe it was a bad extraction causing this problem.

Please run both .bat files here: Windows Update - Reset

and attempt the installation normally again.

If you still have a problem, please download and install the System Update Readiness Tool: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

Please store the installer in a convenient location, as it may be needed again later.

Finally, please copy to the Desktop the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder, right click on it > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder, and upload that new .zip file here.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #17
agiler

Win 7 Ultimate N X64
 
 

Hi Richard, Firstly apologies for the delay in my response I have been offline for the past week. Thank you as always for your ongoing assistance and advice. Lets get started....
I have downloaded and installed and run Reset Windows Update History.bat file as well as Reregister Windows Update Components .bat file. Both ran smoothly, I then tried again to install the update again, but with no success. I then downloaded and saved the System Update Readiness tool, ran that it found I think one update to install, it installed that update without issue. I then rebooted and tried to install again but still no luck.
I have attached a link to both the CBS Log File after today's install episode as well as a screenshot of the installation that starts but then just sits there forever. I could not attach the file as it gets to 17% then re-starts the upload.
Thank you for your support and assistance.
[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/011tzsq6uju5jm1/CBS.zip"]
Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows Update - Extract an Update




Tutorial Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33