Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
How to Set and Lock a Default Skin in Windows Media Player for Users
This will show you how to have Windows Media Player (WMP) display only in skin mode with a skin of your choice for all users in XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
If enabled, a user has access only to the Player features that are available with the specified skin. Users will not be able to Switch to Library (full mode) in WMP, and cannot choose a different skin.
You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do this tutorial.
WMP skins are installed to the location(s) below. Here you will see the available skin file names that can be used.
In 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins
In 64-bit Windows Only: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\Skins
You can download and install more skins for Windows Media Player (WMP) at:
The N and KN editions of Windows 7 have all the features that normally come with each individual Windows 7 edition, except for Windows Media Player 12 and related programs, such as Windows Media Center or Windows DVD Maker.
The N editions of Windows 7 allow you to choose your own media player and software required to manage and play CDs, DVDs, and other digital media files. If you choose to use Windows Media Player 12, downloading it, along with related software, is free.
3. In the left pane, click on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player, and User Interface. (see screenshot below)
4. In the right pane, right click on Set and Lock Skin and click on Edit. (see screenshot above)
5. Do either step 6 or 7 below for what you would like to do.
6. To Allow User(s) to Change their Own Skin in WMP NOTE:This is the default setting. Users can display the Player in full or skin mode and have access to all available features of the Player.
A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled. (see screenshot below step 8)
B) Go to step 8.
7. To Set and Lock a Default Skin in WMP for User(s)
A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below step 8)
B) Under Options, type in the full file name of the skin (ex: corporate.wmz) with the .wmz file extension that you want to set as the default skin to be used by all users. (see screenshot below step 8) NOTE:To see what skins are available, see the NOTE box at the top of the tutorial.
8. Click on OK. (See screenshot below)
9. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.
10. Open WMP to see the change.
Manually in Registry Editor
NOTE:This option is applied to all users.
1. If open, close WMP.
2. Open the Start Menu, type regedit in the search box, and press Enter.
3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes (Windows 7) or Continue (Vista).
4. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below) NOTE:If you do not have the WindowsMediaPlayer key in the left pane, then right click on the Microsoft key, click on New and Key, type WindowsMediaPlayer and press Enter.