Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AutoPlay - Turn On or Off


AutoPlay - Turn On or Off

How to Turn AutoPlay On or Off in Windows 7
Published by Brink
13 Jul 2011
Published by

How to Turn AutoPlay On or Off in Windows 7

information   Information
AutoPlay lets you choose which action or program to use automatically for different kinds of digital media when connected, such as music CDs or pictures from your digital camera.

When you turn AutoPlay on, you can choose what should happen when you insert different types of digital media into your computer. For example, you can choose which digital media player is used to play CDs.

When AutoPlay is turned off, you are no longer prompted by AutoPlay to choose what you want to do when you insert digital media into your computer.

This tutorial will show you how to turn AutoPlay on or off in Windows 7.

Note   Note
When a CD/DVD disc is inserted or a USB drive is connected to your system, Windows looks in the root directory of the new disc or drive for a file named autorun.inf. If found, Windows executes the instructions (keys) in that file.

For more about: Autorun vs Autoplay – What’s the Difference?

In Windows 7, Vista, and XP, two important changes were made to help improve security:

NOTE: For more on this, see: AutoRun changes in Windows 7 - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  1. AutoPlay will no longer support the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media. In other words, AutoPlay will still work for CD/DVDs but it will no longer work for USB drives. For example, if an infected USB drive is inserted on a machine then the AutoRun task will not be displayed. This will block the increasing social engineer threat highlighted in the SIR. The dialogs below highlight the difference that users will see after this change. Before the change, the malware is leveraging AutoRun (box in red) to confuse the user. After the change, AutoRun will no longer work, so the AutoPlay options are safe.
  2. A dialog change was done to clarify that the program being executed is running from external media.
By default in Windows 7, Vista, and XP now, the only [Autorun] keys available for USB/removable drives are below. The rest of the keys are ignored.
  • label - This key is responsible for displaying a custom name (label) for a CD/DVD or USB drive in Computer when a CD/DVD is inserted or a USB drive is connected.
  • icon - This key is responsible for displaying a custom icon for a CD/DVD or USB drive in Computer when a CD/DVD is inserted or a USB drive is connected.
warning   Warning
AutoPlay requires the Shell Hardware Detection service to be set to Started and Automatic to run.


EXAMPLE: AutoPlay pop-up
NOTE: These are just examples of the AutoPlay pop-up dialog that you will see when you connect say a USB flash drive or a DVD. The options you have in the AutoPlay window will depend on what you connected or inserted, and what action you have selected for it in the AutoPlay settings below.
Name:  Example.jpg
Views: 55322
Size:  62.7 KB



OPTION ONE
To Turn AutoPlay On or Off in Control Panel
1. Open the control panel (icons view), and click on the AutoPlay icon.

2. To Turn On AutoPlay
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Check the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices box. (see screenshot below)

B) In the drop down menu for each type of media or device, you can choose a default action to happen when these types are connected. (see screenshot below)

C) Go to step 4.
3. To Turn Off AutoPlay Completely
A) Uncheck the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices box. (see screenshot below)
4. Click on the Save button, and close the control panel. (see screenshot below)
-autoplay.jpg
5. You may also wish to check to see if you wanted to enable or disable AutoPlay and/or Enable AutoPlay for non-volume devices as well.



OPTION TWO
To Turn AutoPlay On or Off using a REG File Download

1. Do Step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On AutoPlay
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.
Turn_On_AutoPlay.reg
download
3. To Completely Turn Off AutoPlay
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.
Turn_Off_AutoPlay.reg
download
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve merging the .reg file.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. You may also wish to check to see if you wanted to enable or disable AutoPlay and/or Enable AutoPlay for non-volume devices as well.
That's it,
Shawn


16 Jan 2012   #1
dakota37

Windows 10 64bit
 
 

I have trid that several times it still is a nogo.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2012   #2
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Dakota,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dakota37 View Post
I have trid that several times it still is a nogo.
Here you go: Unable to turn on Auto Run
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2012   #3
nalbe

windows7 ultimate x32
 
 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers]
"DisableAutoplay"=dword:00000001
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Feb 2012   #4
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Thank you Nalbe. Added as OPTION TWO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2012   #5
dakota37

Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nalbe View Post
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers]
"DisableAutoplay"=dword:00000001
My regedit is version 6 and there is no DisableAutoplay in it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2012   #6
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Dakota,

Having the DWORD DisableAutoplay either set to 0 or deleted has the same effect as turning on AutoPlay. Only when the DWORD DisableAutoplay is set to 1 will AutoPlay be turned off.

The current version of the regedit.exe file itself is 6.1.7600.6385, but when you export a entry from the registy then edit it, you'll notice that it does indeed show Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2012   #7
dakota37

Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Dakota,

Having the DWORD DisableAutoplay either set to 0 or deleted has the same effect as turning on AutoPlay. Only when the DWORD DisableAutoplay is set to 1 will AutoPlay be turned off.

The current version of the regedit.exe file itself is 6.1.7600.6385, but when you export a entry from the registy then edit it, you'll notice that it does indeed show Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00.
So if mine is deleted, as there is none in the registry means turned on then it still is not working. A blank disc or one that has something on it or a USB drive or flash drive, does not start automatically, which I want. Thanks for reply though. Anything else that I can try?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2012   #8
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Dakota,

What you are describing sounds like AutoRun instead of AutoPlay. AutoRun is where, for example, the setup program will run automatically when you insert a DVD or USB flash drive.


Quote:
In Windows 7, Vista, and XP, two important changes were made to help improve security:

NOTE: For more on this, see: AutoRun changes in Windows 7 - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  1. AutoPlay will no longer support the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media. In other words, AutoPlay will still work for CD/DVDs but it will no longer work for USB drives. For example, if an infected USB drive is inserted on a machine then the AutoRun task will not be displayed. This will block the increasing social engineer threat highlighted in the SIR. The dialogs below highlight the difference that users will see after this change. Before the change, the malware is leveraging AutoRun (box in red) to confuse the user. After the change, AutoRun will no longer work, so the AutoPlay options are safe.
  2. A dialog change was done to clarify that the program being executed is running from external media.

If you did mean the AutoPlay type pop-up dialogs like in the example screenshots in the tutorial above, then try turning AutoPlay on using OPTION TWO first. Then check to see if you have the Ask me every time action selected in the AutoPlay control panel window for the media you want this for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #9
dakota37

Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Dakota,

What you are describing sounds like AutoRun instead of AutoPlay. AutoRun is where, for example, the setup program will run automatically when you insert a DVD or USB flash drive.


Quote:
In Windows 7, Vista, and XP, two important changes were made to help improve security:

NOTE: For more on this, see: AutoRun changes in Windows 7 - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  1. AutoPlay will no longer support the AutoRun functionality for non-optical removable media. In other words, AutoPlay will still work for CD/DVDs but it will no longer work for USB drives. For example, if an infected USB drive is inserted on a machine then the AutoRun task will not be displayed. This will block the increasing social engineer threat highlighted in the SIR. The dialogs below highlight the difference that users will see after this change. Before the change, the malware is leveraging AutoRun (box in red) to confuse the user. After the change, AutoRun will no longer work, so the AutoPlay options are safe.
  2. A dialog change was done to clarify that the program being executed is running from external media.
If you did mean the AutoPlay type pop-up dialogs like in the example screenshots in the tutorial above, then try turning AutoPlay on using OPTION TWO first. Then check to see if you have the Ask me every time action selected in the AutoPlay control panel window for the media you want this for.
Yes autoplay is what I want, but I don't seem to understand what to do to get it back. I have everything set at ask me first in the autoplay feature, but am lost as to how to edit the DVD drive. I read the instructions and still can't figure it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 AutoPlay - Turn On or Off




Tutorial Tools






Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
How to turn on WiFi adapter from command line / How to turn on hotspot
Hi I have configured ad-hoc network for internet sharing from my PC. Normally I start it by netsh wlan start hostednetwork As I noticed the hotspot is automatically turned off when I turn off WiFi adapter. So I have two questions: How do I turn on WiFi by command line, so that I can control...
Network & Sharing
Turn on autoplay for camera card insertion?
Dad just called and wants to know why his Fuji camera card isn't bringing up a box to import pictures when he plugs it into PC. I connected and sure enough the card is in Computer as a drive and readable, but apparently the autoplay setting has been lost after his printer was installed last week....
Hardware & Devices
Portable devices not listed in Autoplay option . Won't pop autoplay.
Hi I have protable device that won't autoplay when plugged , but it is shown in my computer and it's fully functional , it is not visible in the Autoplay option in the control panel , I tried reinstalling the device , but same thing , I followed Shawn's topic , how to set autoplay for...
Hardware & Devices
autoplay help
How do I keep the autoplay window from popping up frequently? I have been using windows auto update ....good or bad? i think i was gifted in the middle of the night with autoplay.
General Discussion
Bing Maps turn-by-turn navigation released for Windows
More - Neowin.net - Bing Maps turn-by-turn navigation released for Windows phones
News
Autoplay help
I wasent sure where to put this so i just picked here, sorry if its the wrong spot! Hi, I just upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows vista and now i have an annoying problem: Previously when ever i plugged in a USB drive or turn one on it would automatically open up to the folder without no...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App