How to Set Up a FTP Server On Your Computer
If anyone want to make a free ftp server but dont know how to do that then you are in the right place.
Ok let get started:- Step-1:
First of all you have to get an static IP-Address.
Need a a static ip-address for ur FTP Server.Necessity for getting this static ip-address is you are not suppose to use ur own IP-Address.The main reason is you dont want to show ur IP-Address to everyone , there are many other reasons too but leave them aside..
1) Goto no-ip website & create urself a free account.Step-2:
2) Now your account been created & you will receive ur account password via mail to ur email address.
3) After getting your password login to your account of no-ip.com
4.After getting logged in, click upon add a HOST its on the left menu.
5) Type any hostname you want (eg:-abc) & select any domain from the given list (eg:-ftpserve.com) Click on Submit.
6) Now you have owned your own static address (example: abc.serveftp.com)
7) Now click downloads button which is present above on the page & click on which operating system you are using & then download DNS update client....
8) After getting downloaded, you have to install this software & login here with ur email addresss & p/w when asked for it.
9) At last tick on the check box present at the static address.
10) You have your own static web address.
Installation & setting of the FTP-Server
1) You have to install Serv-U 4.1.03 , google it.Step-3:
2) Run Serv-U & use the wizard to setup ur FTP.
3) Click on next until you have been asked for IP-Address, leave it as it is & click upon next.
4) Enter ur domain name you have registered (example: abc.serveftp.com) it above in the domain field & click upon next.
5) you will be asked for anonymous access, select No & click upon next.
6) Next you will be asked for creating a named account, select yes & click upon next.
7) Choose any user name u wish (eg:-xyz) & click upon next.
8) Enter password for dis account (eg:-adc341) for security purpose choose difficult password.
9) U ll be asked for da home directory for the account which u have created above.Select directory & click upon next.
10) Click on yes for locking this account to the home directory, doing this the user cannot further move up into home directory, click upon next.
11) At last ur account has been created click finish.
Configuring the user accounts which you have been created.
1) On the left tree-menu, select the account which u have been created above & den click upon General Tab.
2) Goto Hide 'Hidden' Files.
3) Check Allow only and enter the number one in the box.
4) Set da maximum downloading speed upto wat extent you want. As this is an account so many will be using so set it low(eg:-10-20) to save your bandwidth. Don't leave it blank as uers can download with full bandwidth.
5) choose how many users you want to login at on time. It depends on your connection speed try these (56 - 1, ISDN - 3, ADSL or cable - 5-6 users.)
6) Click upon Dir Access Tab.
7) Now you can see home folder here.Highlight it & make ur permission.
8) If u want only users to download check only these Read,List & Inherit.
9) If you want your users to upload into your server & but to only one particular folder but not to download, click upon the add button & then select that folder, Now you have to highlight that folder & set these permissions on that folder. Check,Write, Append,List,Create & Inherit after setting these permissions click on the arrow which is present at the bottom right-hand corner.You want this upload folder 2 be list first, before the home folder.
10) If there is any folder which you dont want anyone to access it, & it is present in the home folder, den click the add button & then select the folder.Now you have to highlight that folder & see that no all the checkboxes are left. After doing this click upon upper arrow which is present at bottom right hand corner.
11) There are many things you can do, These are only the basics....
12) Your server is now ready to be connected..
13) Login with your username & password...