Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

02 Jun 2012   #280
Porkpotpie

7 home premium x64
 
 

Hey, a friend came over and did magicky things on screens I've never thought of and seems to think that it's the hard disk itself that broke and not anything on it. With this information, I'm not going to take the time fixing it and instead replace it with a duo or trio of hard drives, most likely 3 500 Gb drives, with RAID 5, seeing as it seems the most useful RAID available. If you have any advice on that, could you message that to me please? Thanks for your help.
-Adrien


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2012   #281
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Porkpotpie View Post
Hey, a friend came over and did magicky things on screens I've never thought of and seems to think that it's the hard disk itself that broke and not anything on it. With this information, I'm not going to take the time fixing it and instead replace it with a duo or trio of hard drives, most likely 3 500 Gb drives, with RAID 5, seeing as it seems the most useful RAID available. If you have any advice on that, could you message that to me please? Thanks for your help.
-Adrien
I found RAID fun to play with, but Windows 7 has an excellent backup that is much simpler and less time consuming than RAID.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2012   #282
Zino1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

This is nice, however in step 3 i have nothing to select the box is empty.

I tried the startup repair, it says my boot record is corrupt and was unable to repair.

All I did is re-boot the machine ... and it came up with a no OS Error.

Can you install win 7 over the top of itself?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2012   #283
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zino1 View Post
This is nice, however in step 3 i have nothing to select the box is empty.

I tried the startup repair, it says my boot record is corrupt and was unable to repair.

All I did is re-boot the machine ... and it came up with a no OS Error.

Can you install win 7 over the top of itself?
Hello Zino1, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

There must be a reason your computer cannot find the OS. Before reinstalling, I would suggest doing some checking first. For example: does the BIOS recognize the hard drive during the bootup process? Is the hard drive with the OS the first hard drive in boot order?

Also when your Windows 7 Ultimate was installed on your home built computer, did you allow Windows to create the 100MB "System Reserved" partition? Is this partition marked "Active"? If the partition with the "Boot Files" is not the "Active" partition, Windows may not be able to see there is an OS there.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2012   #284
Zino1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Robert,

Thanks for the reply,

I downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from the WD web site .. it does show the drive, but i am not sure what else the program does.
my BIOS shows the drive also ....

there is the 100MB "system reserved" present from the WD utility.

i ran the repair several times from the Win 7 CD but no change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2012   #285
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zino1 View Post
Robert,

Thanks for the reply,

I downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from the WD web site .. it does show the drive, but i am not sure what else the program does.
my BIOS shows the drive also ....

there is the 100MB "system reserved" present from the WD utility.

i ran the repair several times from the Win 7 CD but no change
"Partition Wizard" is a handy tool to have around:

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Burn it to a bootable CD, boot to it and see if the 100MB "System Reserved" partition is the "Active" one. If not, you can mark it "Active" with "Partition Wizard".

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic will check the hard drive for damage to the platter surface where data is stored. If enough of the surface is failing, it will warn you to save the data and replace the hard drive.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #286
Zino1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

i just downloaded it ... running it now ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #287
Zino1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Ran Partition Wizard, it shows i have a MBR active, yet it will not boot ...no operating system error
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #288
Zino1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

i set another one active and now i get bootmgr is missing "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del" to restart ...
not sure what will do since all it does is reboot the computer .... which i have done many times...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #289
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zino1 View Post
i set another one active and now i get bootmgr is missing "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del" to restart ...
not sure what will do since all it does is reboot the computer .... which i have done many times...
First make sure the 100MB "System Reserved" partition is marked active. Then using your Windows 7 Ultimate DVD (or a Windows 7 "Repair CD" if you created one) boot to the DVD and follow the steps in this tutorial. Do not do another "Startup repair" but go to the command prompt and enter the code as described in the tutorial.

Question: How many hard drives are connected to your computer? For testing purposes, only connect the hard drive with the OS.

If all else fails, you can use "Partition Wizard" to create another partition on the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7. Hopefully, you will then also have access to your files on the original Windows 7 partition?

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record




Tutorial Tools




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
How do I restore the Master Boot Record?
I deleted Ubuntu Linux from my computer by deleting the partitions that contained it, but this also deleted GRUB and now my computer can't boot into Windows. I looked online and it said I needed the Windows 7 disk to restore the Master Boot Record. I do not have the Windows 7 disk. People...
General Discussion
Master Boot Record question
~ My desktop crashes overnight ... sometimes. It attempts to reboot, but halts at 'Verifying DMI pool data'. (No idea why it crashes - it isn't consistent - it doesn't crash during daily use, and most likely a power flicker issue.) ~ I reboot using MiniTool Partition Wizard boot disc, rebuild...
General Discussion
Windows 7 boot issue with master boot record
Hello, My Old hard drive has Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed on it. I purchased the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade and ran the upgrade. Removed the Vista hard drive, and can not start Windows 7. Only issue on this system, I have upgraded two other systems without any problem. SSD...
Installation & Setup
Master Boot Record re-creation
Hi Have a PC with Windows 7 on it. First hard disk with Master Boot Record failed (had an install of windows xp on it) - have now removed faulty disk, but PC will not boot due to Master Boot Record not being on second disk. How do I go about re-creating the MBR on this Windows 7 install disk...
Installation & Setup
Master Boot Record needed from one HDD to another
I've recently installed a Vertex 4 in my computer and along with that, my old primary HDD started to fail - So I copied all that I needed and formatted it in windows 7 via disk-management. Earlier today I wanted to remove it from my PC, because I had no use for it but when I did, windows would not...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App