Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
2. In the left blue pane, click on the Change color scheme link. (see screenshot below)
3. Click on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below) NOTE:Aero themes are not available in the Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic editions.
4. Go to step 7B in OPTION TWO below to do steps 7B to 9.
5. When finished, click on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)
6. Close the Display window. (see screenshot below step 1)
To Change "Window Color and Appearance" in ONLY Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise
If you have the Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic edition, then use OPTION ONE above instead.
1. Right click on a empty space on the desktop and click on Personalize. (see screenshot below)
2. Click on the Window Color link at the bottom of the window. (see screenshot below) NOTE:The name that is grayed out under Window Color, is the current color selected.
If you have selected from the Basic and High Contrast Themes , then you will not see the Window Color and Appearance screen below step 3A. Instead, go to step 7.
If you have selected from the Aero Themes, then you will see the Window Color and Appearance screen below step 3A. Continue to step 3.
3. Select a Color
A) Click on an available color that you would like the Start Menu, window borders, and taskbar to be. (see screenshot below step 5A)
4. Enable or Disable Transparency
A) Check or uncheck Enable transparency to enable or disable transparency for the Start Menu, window borders, and taskbar. (see screenshot below step 3A)
5. Adjust Color Intensity
A) Slide the Color intensity slider to the left to lighten the color (step 3) or to the right to darken the color (step 3). (see screenshot below step 3A) WARNING:If you slide the slider to far to the right, the Start menu, windows, and taskbar, may no longer be transparent (if enabled) since the color will be to dark. You would just need to slide it some to the left to lighten the color again.
6. To Adjust the Color Mixer Settings NOTE:If you do not want to adjust the color mixer settings, then skip this step to keep the default color selected in step 3 and go to step 7 instead.
A) Click on the Show color mixer button. (see screenshot below) NOTE:This is if you would like to adjust the color's (step 3A) hue, saturation, and brightness to create a custom color.
B) Slide the sliders to adjust the color. NOTE:If you do not wish to continue to step 7, then click on the Save Changes button to apply the changes and close the window below. You're done.
7. To Change the "Advanced Window Color and Appearance" Settings WARNING:Colors and sizes selected for items will only be used if you have selected a Windows Classic or High Contrast theme. If any other theme is applied, you will not be able to change colors and sizes for items.
A) Click on the Advanced appearance settings link. (see screenshot above) NOTE: You will not need to do this if you have a Basic and High Contrast Theme selected. Continue to step 7B instead.
B) To Change a Window Item Setting
To Select a Item - Click on the Item drop down menu and select a window item you want to change. (See screenshots below step 7C) NOTE:You can also click on the different displayed windows at the top of the "Window Color and Appearance" window to select a Item to.
To Change the Item Size - Change the Size number to what you want.
To Change the Item Color - Click on the Color 1 and Color 2 drop down menu and select a color. NOTE:The color will only change if you have the Windows Classic theme selected.
C) To Change the Font Settings for the Selected Item
To Change the Item Font - Click on the Font drop down menu and select a font. (See screenshotd below)
To Change the Item Font Size - Click on the Size drop down menu and select a number for the size. The higher the number, the larger the size.
To Change the Item Font Color - Click on the Color drop down menu and select a color.
To Have the Item Font in Bold - Click the B button to highlight it. If it is not highlighted, then the font will not be in bold.
To Have the Item Font in Italic - Click on the I button to highlight it. If it is not highlighted, then the font will not be in italic.
D) Repeat steps 7B and 7C until you change all the Items you wanted.
8. The Default Advanced Appearance Settings
9. When finished, click on OK. (see screenshots above or below step 7C)
10. Click on the Save Changes button in the Window Color and Appearance window. (see screenshot below step 6B) NOTE: You will not have this to do if you have a Basic and High Contrast Theme selected.
11. Close the the Personalization window. (see screenshot below step 2)
I am using windows themes but I dont see steps 3-6 when I try to change windows color.it brings the screen as in step 7 and when I try to change the color of the active and inactive title bar and click apply nothing happens. any input would be greatly appreciated.
So, this was probably pretty stupid, but I changed some of the settings and now I can't remember what the defaults are. Is there any way to reset them? or could you tell me what the default settings are? Thanks