Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Preparation Tool - Use to Customize Windows

24 Jul 2014   #40
mcolvin2005

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

i currently have a Windows 7 AIO Disk (every version with 64 and 32 bit) i have created a custom image.wim file but when i place that image.wim file onto my AIO disk i lose every version but the one i install to customize how can i create a custom image.wim file that still has all versions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jul 2014   #41
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcolvin2005 View Post
i currently have a Windows 7 AIO Disk (every version with 64 and 32 bit) i have created a custom image.wim file but when i place that image.wim file onto my AIO disk i lose every version but the one i install to customize how can i create a custom image.wim file that still has all versions?
So on install you have about 6 options: "Windows Home Premium", "Windows Professional", "Windows ultimate" [both x86 and x64]. Do you want 1 extra option for example "My custom image X86"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #42
mcolvin2005

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcolvin2005 View Post
i currently have a Windows 7 AIO Disk (every version with 64 and 32 bit) i have created a custom image.wim file but when i place that image.wim file onto my AIO disk i lose every version but the one i install to customize how can i create a custom image.wim file that still has all versions?
So on install you have about 6 options: "Windows Home Premium", "Windows Professional", "Windows ultimate" [both x86 and x64]. Do you want 1 extra option for example "My custom image X86"?

before install i have 9 options they are starter (32bit), Home Basic (32 and 64 Bit), home premium (32 and 64 Bit), Professional (32 and 64 Bit), Ultimate (32 and 64 Bit)
i'm in the IT world so what i'm trying to do is have an image that is pre loaded with Adobe reader, flash, air, java, notepad ++, chrome, power dvd, microsoft security essentials, and open office. and i'm wanting that same setup across all 9 editions, i have created an image.wim based off Professional but when i place that wim file in the sources directory i loss all the other versions

how is something like this done?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #43
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

The normal image.wim consists off an instal wim file with index 1 and a name, name is "Home Basic x86" for example. That's the name you see in the list. index 2 is "Professional x86" for example. etc

So all versions are in the same wim file, the only have another index! What's more important each file like defrag.exe for example is only once in the wim file. All indexes point to the same file.

DISM.EXE and IMAGEX.EXE are the tools to use.

What do you mean by saying "have an image that is pre loaded with Adobe reader, flash, air, java, notepad ++, chrome, power dvd, microsoft security essentials, and open office"? you did install win7 and all the applications as well and created the wim file (as kind of snapshot)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2014   #44
mcolvin2005

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
The normal image.wim consists off an instal wim file with index 1 and a name, name is "Home Basic x86" for example. That's the name you see in the list. index 2 is "Professional x86" for example. etc

So all versions are in the same wim file, the only have another index! What's more important each file like defrag.exe for example is only once in the wim file. All indexes point to the same file.

DISM.EXE and IMAGEX.EXE are the tools to use.

What do you mean by saying "have an image that is pre loaded with Adobe reader, flash, air, java, notepad ++, chrome, power dvd, microsoft security essentials, and open office"? you did install win7 and all the applications as well and created the wim file (as kind of snapshot)?
What i mean is i installed windows 7 pro, then went into audit mode, installed the above programs, and then sysprep and generalized, then captured the drive with imagex

is there something i should have done?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2014   #45
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcolvin2005 View Post
What i mean is i installed windows 7 pro, then went into audit mode, installed the above programs, and then sysprep and generalized, then captured the drive with imagex

is there something i should have done?
No, there is not.

When you enter Audit Mode on your reference computer, Windows edition is already selected and installed, in your case the Professional edition. The installation has completed, although you have entered Audit Mode and bypassed the OOBE phase meaning no user profiles exist yet.

Simple logics: you cannot change the edition of the installed Windows version, not even by editing something (anything!) in install.wim file and assume that the software you installed in Professional will then when your image is deployed also be installed and work if the end user selects Home Premium.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2014   #46
mcolvin2005

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
No, there is not.

When you enter Audit Mode on your reference computer, Windows edition is already selected and installed, in your case the Professional edition. The installation has completed, although you have entered Audit Mode and bypassed the OOBE phase meaning no user profiles exist yet.

Simple logics: you cannot change the edition of the installed Windows version, not even by editing something (anything!) in install.wim file and assume that the software you installed in Professional will then when your image is deployed also be installed and work if the end user selects Home Premium.

Kari
so... what other options are there to pre install software, i know there is an option out there b/c i have a boot leg copy that installs windows updates after install before you get to the desktop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2014   #47
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcolvin2005 View Post
so... what other options are there to pre install software
There are no other options. You simply cannot create a universal image with all third party software installed and let the end user then decide which edition and bit version of Windows to install.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcolvin2005 View Post
i know there is an option out there b/c i have a boot leg copy that installs windows updates after install before you get to the desktop
I repeat: no, there are no other options. You need to prepare an image for each edition separately. Windows updates are not edition specific and can be slipstreamed to an image, that's a totally different thing. You are talking about installing software, not Windows Updates.

A not so practical workaround would be to prepare all 9 images (Starter 32 bit, all others both 32 and 64 bit), install all needed software to each in Audit Mode, then copy them to a Flash Drive (even double sided DVD has not enough space for all 9 images) with a boot menu for user to select whis OS and bit version will be installed. Messy and complicated.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2014   #48
DJTest

Micorsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise X64
 
 
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise X64 Metro

Hello Kari.
I'm using the following Operation System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise X64.
And I was wondering if it is possible if you used Sysprep and keep afterwards the Metro Menu with all you Customizations like you're Icons & Names above?
Can I create this into the Answer File (WADK) Windows System Image Manager?
If yes can you please make a new turtorial for this or can explain what I must check into this program.
Many Thanks,
DJTest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2014   #49
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Start Screen items and customizations do not survive the sysprep. There's no use to customize the Start Screen in any way in Audit Mode and then sysprep because Start Screen resets it to default. Can't be done, sorry.

Notice that you cannot enter the Store in Audit Mode to install apps. Apps can be added to image using DISM which takes the whole process to a totally another level. Read more at out sister forums in this thread: Creating a windows 8.1 image containing metro apps

Other than the above and the fact that you should not relocate the ProgramData in Windows 8 you can follow this tutorial; the sysprep and customization processes are the same.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 System Preparation Tool - Use to Customize Windows




Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Hard Drive Preparation For Windows 7 Installation
What do I have to do to a hard drive that has had Windows XP on it to get it ready for a Windows 7 installation? I can get to the point where it says to select a partition, but no further. I've tried wiping the drive, installing over the old OS, reformatting, removing the partition and adding...
Installation & Setup
I am looking for a tool to fully customize my Windows 7 Logon
I just can't seem to find any tool to do this. I want to replicate the Windows XP logon screen. This would require quite a tool. I've only found ones to just change the background. I did find one called Logon Workshop, and it will do everything I need, but... I just can't figure out how it works....
Customization
Can I customize tool bar and tabs in IE9 this way ?
What I would like to do is this : Use the IE9 option to show tabs on seperate row, but not have 3 'rows' showing, only 2, 1 being the tabs row, the other being the default address bar row -BUT as well as the icons for home, favs and tools, include some of the command bar icons on the top row. ...
Browsers & Mail
can System Preparation Tool be run outside of Windows
Can System Preparation Tool discussed in tutorial "Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer" be run on the target HDD if the target HDD is now a secondary drive of another Windows installation ? Forgot to SysPrep my Win 7 Pro 64bit prior to removing the old mother board...that board...
Installation & Setup
XP - Windows & Ultimate migration preparation
First off - this forum is a lifesaver! I have done quite a bit of reading here and appreciate everyone's contribution. While I think i'm somewhat prepared to install Win7 this weekend, I was hoping someone can help me with my last few questions. 1. I will be installing win7 and all...
Installation & Setup
Windows 8 planning and preparation underway
Read the full article here :)
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App