Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap

06 Dec 2014   #80
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
Can this be used on a USB Flash Drive instead of a CD/DVD?
You need an usb stick with an primary NTFS partition and make it ACTIVE.
Partition or Volume - Create New
Partition - Mark as Active

Now unpack the ISO and put those files in the root folder of the usb volume.

Now change boot device order in BIOS or force pc to boot from usb.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Dec 2014   #81
Nyarlathotep

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Yup, I already got a bootable USB, just wondering if it would work

Thanks! Might play around with it this weekend, still debating if I wanna swap the board yet or wait till after Christmas when I can maybe get a new Case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2014   #82
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
Yup, I already got a bootable USB, just wondering if it would work

Thanks! Might play around with it this weekend, still debating if I wanna swap the board yet or wait till after Christmas when I can maybe get a new Case.
It's just a winpe bootable DVD. Should work.... but never tried it myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2014   #83
121914

7-64 Ultimate
 
 

New member, found this thread after a MB and CPU upgrade. The system boots, the Win7 logo starts to load, and then it reboots. Tried a system repair several times with no success.

I had tried the FIX HDC method using an ultimate boot cd prior to this and it did not work.

I have Win 7 Ultimate. I replaced an Asrock AMD board with a MSI Intel one (H97 Guard Pro), and of course changed the CPU (i5-4690K). The SanDisk SSD and memory remain the same. I have tried setting the BIOS as IDE and also ACHI with no success (the old MB used ACHI). I'm running the MB on a test bench, the old board had an Avermedia TV tuner card I have not swapped over as well as a generic esata interface card I can't swap over due to it being a PCI card and the new MB having no PCI slots.

I DL the Paragon file and burned the iso to a CD with no problem. It boots, I get into the main screen OK. I selected the auto repair function and it ran though very quickly. Restarting made no difference. I copied the MSI install DVD to a USB drive and allowed the Paragon system to use drivers from there. Still no Windows 7.

I've read through many of the posts here. I did get into disk partition and found I have disk 0 with partitions 1 (100 MB) and 2 (223 GB). Partition 1 is the active one.

I have a lot of programs I use on the drive, so I don't want to do a clean install. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2014   #84
gregrocker

 

How was Ultimate activated?

What is "fix HDC method?" Never heard if it and we pioneered these workarounds

Try 3 Startup Repairs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #85
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 121914 View Post
New member, found this thread after a MB and CPU upgrade. The system boots, the Win7 logo starts to load, and then it reboots. Tried a system repair several times with no success.

I had tried the FIX HDC method using an ultimate boot cd prior to this and it did not work.

I have Win 7 Ultimate. I replaced an Asrock AMD board with a MSI Intel one (H97 Guard Pro), and of course changed the CPU (i5-4690K). The SanDisk SSD and memory remain the same. I have tried setting the BIOS as IDE and also ACHI with no success (the old MB used ACHI). I'm running the MB on a test bench, the old board had an Avermedia TV tuner card I have not swapped over as well as a generic esata interface card I can't swap over due to it being a PCI card and the new MB having no PCI slots.

I DL the Paragon file and burned the iso to a CD with no problem. It boots, I get into the main screen OK. I selected the auto repair function and it ran though very quickly. Restarting made no difference. I copied the MSI install DVD to a USB drive and allowed the Paragon system to use drivers from there. Still no Windows 7.

I've read through many of the posts here. I did get into disk partition and found I have disk 0 with partitions 1 (100 MB) and 2 (223 GB). Partition 1 is the active one.

I have a lot of programs I use on the drive, so I don't want to do a clean install. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
FIX HDC method is for winxp as far as I can remember. I hope you didn't make things worse by donig that.

The system boots, the Win7 logo starts to load, and then it reboots.
=>what error and bsod? Try Advanced Boot Options => "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" to disable that auto reboot once.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #86
121914

7-64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote:
1. How was Ultimate activated?

2. What is "fix HDC method?" Never heard if it and we pioneered these workarounds

3. Try 3 Startup Repairs.
1. Online as far as I can recall, it's been a while since I built the original system.

2. Fix-Hdc is detailed here:
Fix_7hdc - Boot PE and fix offline Windows - The CD Forum

While it apparently originated in XP, people have reported it working in 7. From what I can tell, it goes through the registry and sets drive controller start codes to 0.

3. I've tried the three startup repairs in both IDE and ACHI modes w/o success. In IDE and AHCI mode, I'm currently getting this:
Problem event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem signatures:
01: 6.1.7600.16385
02: Same as 01
03: Unknown
04: 21199656
05: AutoFailover
06: 19
07: NoRootCause

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
LocaleID: 1033


Quote:
1. FIX HDC method is for winxp as far as I can remember. I hope you didn't make things worse by doing that.

2. The system boots, the Win7 logo starts to load, and then it reboots.
=>what error and bsod? Try Advanced Boot Options => "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" to disable that auto reboot once.
1. See above re: FIX-HDC and Win 7.

2. The BSOD error is STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

I reinstalled W7 on the drive and it booted OK, I then used my backup copy via Acronis (I run a daily backup) to restore the drive, also no problems restoring files but Windows would not start.

After doing this, I tried the Paragon CD again and no luck.

On Microsoft Technet, I found a post that had the 0x0000007B problem. One solution that worked for several people was to use regedit and where SCSI Miniport appeared change the Start=3 to 0 (this is what FIX-HDC does from what I can tell). Here are the steps involved:

Quote:
In the BIOS, i went change the SATA to IDE mode (NOT RAID, NOT AHCI)
1.Boot Win7 DVD
2.Choose the Language Selection.
3.Choose Repair.
4.On the recovery tools choose the Command Line Console
5.Type:regedit <ENTER>
7.Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
8.File > Load Hive
9.Select < windows partition with problem > \Windows\System32\config\system (Backup this first, it's advised)
10.Regedit will ask for a Key name: Name it something like "temp"
11.Located HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/temp/Select/Current
12.Searched for every key containing the value “SCSI Miniport” where the "Start" value was a "3" and changed the "Start" value to a "0". (F3 to search next result).
13.Highlight "temp"
14.File > Unload Hive
15.Restart
16.Enter in Win7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #87
gregrocker

 

If the Active flag is not set correctly then it will not repair no matter how many times Startup Repair is run.

Check Active flag, try bootsect rebuild which are included in everything that Can be done for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #88
121914

7-64 Ultimate
 
 

The small part (100 MB) was properly active, the larger one was not.

I did rebuild the bootsect this evening, no luck.

I gave up & did a new install and will work on transferring applications and data such as email.

Thanks for your tips & advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #89
ZothOmmog

Win7 x64
 
 

OMG that actually worked! Thank you so much for saving me hours of work with this!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap




Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Motherboard swap out
Hi all, Due to a fault on my Asus Maximus Hero VI Motherboard that seems to be afflicting a lot of Asus boards at the moment (see rog.asus forum about a common problem where the BIOS clock freezes randomly) I am considering a swap out for another board of the exact same type in the hope that I...
Hardware & Devices
Want to swap motherboard on new build
I just purchased and installed a new LGA 1155 H77 motherboard, Core i5 CPU, memory, GeForce gfx card, DVD drive, and power supply for my home PC, to replace all those old items. I retained the case itself, fans, and both internal HDD's. But for all intents and purposes it's a new build. After...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Swap out Motherboard,, Need to reformat?
Im pretty sure from past experience that if i change from my Asus motherboard to a differnt brand board (gigabyte in this case) that i will have to wipe my drive (in this case SSD drive) with a fresh install of W7U is that correct? Also the board i want to swap to is an SLI board which will...
Hardware & Devices
Motherboard swap around
Quick question...can you change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7? Anybody done it?
Installation & Setup
Motherboard swap
My old Asus P5KC is dying. Going to replace it with a used P5QL-e motherboard where there be any problems with Windows 7 install ? (reinstall ?) CPU and other hardware is the same! Do I need to remove any chipset drivers before swap ?
Hardware & Devices
how to make bootable windows 7 disc ?
Hello all ! Im new here and i have found lots of interesting info here so far. I have been running windows 7 beta 6801 for a while, but wanted to try beta 7000, now, for some reason i cant make the dvd bootable, either my brain is just fried or im missing something, does anyone have any idea of...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App