Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool


24 Oct 2009   #9
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

How to Get and Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool



Introduction
...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2009   #10
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Excellent tutorial Darryl,

Used a brand new Toshiba 8gb USB flash drive right out of the package.

Followed the steps, using my TechNet All-In-One .iso,

Bingo faster than Microwave popcorn

Thanks for becoming a progressive new member



Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool-all_in_one_win_7_dvd_options.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2009   #11
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Why Thank you Doc!

I hope I can be a contributing force here! I hope I can keep it up... problem is everytime I come up with another idea for a tutorial, someone has already created it! But I may pull a rabbit outta the hat now and then! LOL! Take care!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #12
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

16gb USB Flash drives on ebay $11 to 12.52, I managed to bid & win 5 of them


Won 2 of the first pic the black one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #13
bluemoon4ever

windows 7 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluemoon4ever View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post

Bluemoon:

Good beer btw! I'm sorry I misread/misunderstood your first post... so you have DVD and you want to make a backup iso of it.

There are many CD/DVD burning apps that will let you like Nero, but it is not easiest app to figure out... so many use ISO Recorder or MagicIso to do that.

Hope that helps!

lol i know how to make a DVD, its that i fancied making an ISO so that i could use the Microsoft program on this thread to make a USB boot WIndows 7 installation disk. Its not a big deal as i already have the dvd and files on hard disk. Just wondered why it didnt work for me that all.
Blue:

Please re-read my post... The 2 apps I linked to are for creating an iso from the CD or DVD!
when i say i know how to make a DVD i mean an ISO of the DVD, bit for some reason the MS USB creator doesnt like my ISO's ... no worries though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #14
Alakar

Windows 7 Professional x64, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, WinXP Pro, Mac OS/X 10.5.6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluemoon4ever View Post

when i say i know how to make a DVD i mean an ISO of the DVD, bit for some reason the MS USB creator doesnt like my ISO's ... no worries though
I ran into the same thing with some old .iso's created with nlite; the tool said they weren't valid. I created one from a Win 7 Pro x64 upgrade disc using ISO Recorder v3 (64bit version) and it worked like a charm. You might want to try ISO Recorder to create the image.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2009   #15
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Nero does it too... never had a single issue with any iso Ive created and I do all mine with Nero.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2009   #16
hacku

Windows 7 RC 64bit
 
 

Looks like MS got rid of this tool?

I was looking for it to mount the ISO into a bootable flash drive, but it looks like they took it down...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2009   #17
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

I have updated the DL button... damn MS keeps moving stuff around!

Thank you for downloading Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #18
Alakar

Windows 7 Professional x64, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, WinXP Pro, Mac OS/X 10.5.6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hacku View Post
Looks like MS got rid of this tool?

I was looking for it to mount the ISO into a bootable flash drive, but it looks like they took it down...
The tool link was taken down because of this:

Microsoft Pulls Windows 7 Download Tool - Reviews by PC Magazine

Quote:
Microsoft has pulled a tool that is designed to help users with existing Windows XP installations on their netbooks. The Windows USB/DVD Tool was pulled "because there were several concerns brought to Microsoft's attention," a Microsoft spokesman said in an email. "They took it down to investigate the claims."
As the name suggests, the tool allows a downloaded version of Windows 7 from Microsoft's online store or its MSDN subscription service to be copied onto either a USB key or DVD. The former option is especially useful for those users that lack a DVD drive.
Blogger Rafael Rivera Jr. had provided comparisons between the Microsoft tool and the CodePlex ImageMaster tool.
"While poking through the UDF-related internals of the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, I had a weird feeling there was just wayyyyyyyyy too much code in there for such a simple tool" Rivera wrote. "A simple search of some method names and properties, gleaned from Reflector's output, revealed the source code was obviously lifted from the CodePlex-hosted (yikes) GPLv2-licensed ImageMaster project."
The Microsoft spokesman did not confirm or deny that code had been used from the CodePlex tool, which was hosted under a GPLv2 license. That license allows the source code to be distributed as an executable, either with the source code attached or an offer to provide it, if asked.
However, they should be reposting the download link as well as the source code:

Update on the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool - Port 25: The Open Source Community at Microsoft

Quote:
Update on the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool by Peter Galli on November 13, 2009 11:24AM

As you've likely read and as was originally reported here, we've been investigating a report that the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, might contain GPLv2 code. The WUDT is a free tool that was offered by the Microsoft Store and which enabled customers to create bootable USB drives or DVD backup media from the electronic software (ESD) edition of Windows 7 that comes in an ISO format.
After looking at the code in question, we are now able to confirm this was indeed the case, although it was not intentional on our part. While we had contracted with a third party to create the tool, we share responsibility as we did not catch it as part of our code review process. We have furthermore conducted a review of other code provided through the Microsoft Store and this was the only incident of this sort we could find.
When it comes to our attention that a Microsoft component contains third party code, our aim is to be respectful of the terms under which that code is being shared. As a result, we will be making the source code as well as binaries for this tool available next week under the terms of the General Public License v2 as described here, and are also taking measures to apply what we have learned from this experience for future code reviews we perform.
We apologize to our customers for any inconvenience this has caused.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #19
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hacku View Post
Looks like MS got rid of this tool?

I was looking for it to mount the ISO into a bootable flash drive, but it looks like they took it down...

The tool link was taken down because of this:

Microsoft Pulls Windows 7 Download Tool - Reviews by PC Magazine

Quote:
Microsoft has pulled a tool that is designed to help users with existing Windows XP installations on their netbooks. The Windows USB/DVD Tool was pulled "because there were several concerns brought to Microsoft's attention," a Microsoft spokesman said in an email. "They took it down to investigate the claims."
As the name suggests, the tool allows a downloaded version of Windows 7 from Microsoft's online store or its MSDN subscription service to be copied onto either a USB key or DVD. The former option is especially useful for those users that lack a DVD drive.
Blogger Rafael Rivera Jr. had provided comparisons between the Microsoft tool and the CodePlex ImageMaster tool.
"While poking through the UDF-related internals of the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, I had a weird feeling there was just wayyyyyyyyy too much code in there for such a simple tool" Rivera wrote. "A simple search of some method names and properties, gleaned from Reflector's output, revealed the source code was obviously lifted from the CodePlex-hosted (yikes) GPLv2-licensed ImageMaster project."
The Microsoft spokesman did not confirm or deny that code had been used from the CodePlex tool, which was hosted under a GPLv2 license. That license allows the source code to be distributed as an executable, either with the source code attached or an offer to provide it, if asked.
However, they should be reposting the download link as well as the source code:

Update on the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool - Port 25: The Open Source Community at Microsoft

Quote:
Update on the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool by Peter Galli on November 13, 2009 11:24AM

As you've likely read and as was originally reported here, we've been investigating a report that the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, might contain GPLv2 code. The WUDT is a free tool that was offered by the Microsoft Store and which enabled customers to create bootable USB drives or DVD backup media from the electronic software (ESD) edition of Windows 7 that comes in an ISO format.
After looking at the code in question, we are now able to confirm this was indeed the case, although it was not intentional on our part. While we had contracted with a third party to create the tool, we share responsibility as we did not catch it as part of our code review process. We have furthermore conducted a review of other code provided through the Microsoft Store and this was the only incident of this sort we could find.
When it comes to our attention that a Microsoft component contains third party code, our aim is to be respectful of the terms under which that code is being shared. As a result, we will be making the source code as well as binaries for this tool available next week under the terms of the General Public License v2 as described here, and are also taking measures to apply what we have learned from this experience for future code reviews we perform.
We apologize to our customers for any inconvenience this has caused.

This is not the only thing Rafael has caught MS on along with Paul Thurott...

Rafael is becoming a thorn in their side
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool problem Installation & Setup
I need to download Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool. why is it harmful Installation & Setup
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Installation & Setup
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Help - Cant find .ISO Installation & Setup
Windows 7 usb/dvd download tool Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Download tool cannot see my drive Installation & Setup
Cant Install Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33