How to Remove the Lock Icon from Files and Folders in Windows 7
The lock (padlock) overlay icon on a file or folder in Windows 7 indicates that the file or folder can only be accessed by you, and is set to share with nobody (no other user).
This tutorial will show you how to remove or restore the lock icon overlay on files and folders for all users without affecting any sharing settings in Windows 7.
You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
EXAMPLE: Lock icon on folder
1. Do step 2, 3, or 4 below for what you would like to do, and if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7.
2. To Remove Lock Icon on Files and Folders in 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7
A) Click on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 5 below.3. To Restore Lock Icon on Files and Folders in 32-bit Windows 7
NOTE: This is the default setting in 32-bit Windows 7.
A) Click on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 5 below.4. To Restore Lock Icon on Files and Folders in 64-bit Windows 7
NOTE: This is the default setting in 64-bit Windows 7.
A) Click on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 5 below.5. Save the .bat file to your desktop.
6. Right click on the downloaded .bat file, and click on Run as administrator.
7. If prompted, click on Run and Yes to approve.
NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.
8. You will now notice a command prompt quickly flash open and close and your screen flicker as the registry changes are applied and explorer is restarted.