Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Libraries - Include a Network Folder


28 Feb 2009   #29
limneos

Windows 7 RC 7100 32bit/64bit
 
 
Libraries - Include a Network Folder

How to Include a Network Drive or Folder in a Library in Windows 7 and Windows 8

...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #30
dognose

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Hello dognose and welcome to Seven Forums.

Interesting suggestion, may work with a networked computer but I don't see how that could work with a NAS some of the other suggestions do.
In this situation you are right. Since a NAS isnt windows based most the time, THERE you need another way.

IIRC, it will work (without any tools), if you map the destination folder as a network drive, and then include the network drive to the library.

(Well this ofc. is similar to using simlinks then.)

dognose


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #31
RSargeant

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hi all,

There is an official "Microsoft" way of making Libraries behave better with non-indexed network locations. Here's how.

Log in using an administrative account.
Run "gpedit.msc". This will open the Local Group Policy Editor.
Drill down to User Configuration, Windows Components, Windows Explorer
Look in the right-hand pane and find the Line "Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data"
Double-click on that line, read the explanation, then set it to "Enabled".
Restart

Now you should be able to add NAS and other non-indexed locations without Windows complaining!
To set things back the way they were, just repeat the above, setting the same policy to "Not configured".

Here's the description of this policy setting from MS:


Requirements:
At least Windows 7 or Windows Server2008 R2
Description:
This policy setting allows you to turn off Windows Libraries features that need indexed file metadata to Function properly. If you enable this policy, some Windows Libraries Features will be turned off to better handle included folders that have been redirected to non-indexed network locations.
Setting this policy will:
* Disable all Arrangement views except for “By Folder”
* Disable all Search filter suggestions other than “Date Modified” and “Size”
* Disable view of file content snippets in Content mode when search results are returned
* Disable ability to stack in the Context menu and Column headers
* Exclude Libraries from the scope of Start search
This policy will not enable users to add unsupported locations to Libraries.
If you enable this policy, Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed File data will be disabled.
If you disable or do not configure this policy, all default Windows Libraries Features will be enabled.

Hope this helps.

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #32
RSargeant

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Network files can be indexed without synchronisation

"By default, Windows 7 does not allow you to include network drives or folders in a library. This is because folders must be indexed first in order to be added to a library, and network drives cannot be indexed unless they are synchronized. This will show you how to do that and add them to a library."

This is somewhat less than a complete statement. If the network location has an acceptable indexing service running locally, Windows 7 will in fact allow you to add the network drive to the library. So in a typical MS shop where the server is running a recent version of Windows Server and the indexing is enabled on the drive concerned, it will work.

Since most NAS run some version of Linux for obvious reasons of economy, such NAS devices cannot unfortunately be added to libraries. No reason why the Linux guys could not write something that would meet the specs, but getting the NAS manufacturers to include that would be quite a step.

This is one small advantage of using a NAS based on the OEM version of Windows Server, Windows Storage Server. The licensing costs for that OS version are much lower, but it's not free like Linux, so these are premium devices, but they do exist! Windows Home Server also has the service.

If this facility is vitally important to you, you could do worse than deploy a cheap Atom-based PC running Windows 7 as a network server. Still not as cheap as most NAS though.

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #33
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RSargeant View Post
Hi all,

There is an official "Microsoft" way of making Libraries behave better with non-indexed network locations. Here's how.

Log in using an administrative account.
Run "gpedit.msc". This will open the Local Group Policy Editor.
Drill down to User Configuration, Windows Components, Windows Explorer
Look in the right-hand pane and find the Line "Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data"
Double-click on that line, read the explanation, then set it to "Enabled".
Restart

Now you should be able to add NAS and other non-indexed locations without Windows complaining!
To set things back the way they were, just repeat the above, setting the same policy to "Not configured".

Here's the description of this policy setting from MS:


Requirements:
At least Windows 7 or Windows Server2008 R2
Description:
This policy setting allows you to turn off Windows Libraries features that need indexed file metadata to Function properly. If you enable this policy, some Windows Libraries Features will be turned off to better handle included folders that have been redirected to non-indexed network locations.
Setting this policy will:
* Disable all Arrangement views except for “By Folder”
* Disable all Search filter suggestions other than “Date Modified” and “Size”
* Disable view of file content snippets in Content mode when search results are returned
* Disable ability to stack in the Context menu and Column headers
* Exclude Libraries from the scope of Start search
This policy will not enable users to add unsupported locations to Libraries.
If you enable this policy, Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed File data will be disabled.
If you disable or do not configure this policy, all default Windows Libraries Features will be enabled.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Unfortunately for those of us using Home Premium we don't have gpedit.msc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Apr 2012   #34
WraithLunati

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Simplest solution

I've read through this forum and I've got a much simpler solution.

I myself have a Server (running R2 2008) with 16TB of storage space (8x2TB).

One of these 2TB drives has my Music/Pictures/Video on it. The drive is shared via Group Policy automatically between all machines joined to the domain. This is not necessary, just sayin' this is my setup. All you really need is to map the network share to a drive on your computer.

Caveat, I use this method because the server is my central storage location.

Step by step:

1. Right-click the "My Music" folder in your Music Library.
2. Under location, select the folder on the mapped drive or if you are using an entire mapped drive, just the drive itself.
3. It will ask you if you want to move the files, the local library was empty so I say yes.
4. Hit OK, and you're done.

Easy right?

Hope you enjoy this solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #35
RSargeant

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WraithLunati View Post
I've read through this forum and I've got a much simpler solution.

...

Easy right?

Hope you enjoy this solution.
Thanks for your contribution WraithLunati. However you've totally missed the fact that the problem being discussed here deals with connecting to a share via DFS (Distributed File System) rather than directly to a share as you are describing.

What we are attempting is a connection to \\AD_domain_name\Mount_name.
What you describe is a connection to \\Server_name\Share_name.

Thanks anyway!

RS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2012   #36
TekBoi

 
 
SUCCESS!

I was not planning on having a duplicate of my 450GB+ video library on my server.

Option #2 worked like a charm!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #37
JerometheGiraff

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I ran the command from Option 2 (Step 5) what happened ? I want to reverse it.
I still can't add a Network Drive / Folder to the Library, even after following each step, thoroughly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #38
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Jerome,

I've just updated OPTION TWO to help make it more clear and easier to use. You might see if that may help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #39
JerometheGiraff

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Jerome,

I've just updated OPTION TWO to help make it more clear and easier to use. You might see if that may help.
When I try to access a Library that I created that was suppose to link to a Network drive, everything works except I get an error. The symbolic link works, when I go to access the Library folder, "The Network cannot be found" ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Libraries - Include a Network Folder




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Libraries - Include a Network Folder
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Folder Customisation to include images ? Customization
Include Folder in Library clarification please General Discussion
Library - Include a Folder Tutorials
Libraries folder General Discussion
How do I fix this mess -- libraries folder, user folder, administra... General Discussion
Why MS doesn't include file, folder protection feature? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33