How to Enable or Disable the Ability to Create a System Image in Windows 7 and Windows 8
This tutorial will allow you to enable or disable the ability of all or specific users to create a system image backup in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
EXAMPLE: Disabled Message
NOTE: When create a system image is disabled, this is the message all users will see instead when trying to create a system image.
To Enable or Disable System Image using a REG File
1. To Enable System Image
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below.2. To Disable System Image
B) Go to step 3.
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below. 3. Save the .zip file to your desktop.
4. Open the downloaded .zip file and extract the .reg file to the desktop.
5. Right click on the extracted .reg file, and click on Merge.
6. Click on Run, Yes, Yes, and OK when prompted.
7. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg and .zip files if you like.
To Enable or Disable System Image in Group Policy
1. Open the all users, specific users or groups, or all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.That's it,
2. In the left pane, click on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Backup, and Client. (See screenshot below)
3. In the right pane, right click on Turn off the ability to create a system image and click on Edit. (See screenshot above)
4. To Enable System Image
A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled. (See screenshot below step 6)5. To Disable System Image
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.
B) Go to step 6.
A) Select (dot) Enabled. (See screenshot below step 6)6. Click on OK. (See screenshot below)
7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.