Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart
This may have been noted elsewhere in the tutorial, but I didn't see it. Anyway - these are minor issues.
The WinEditMail.zip file contains a registry file that helps reinstate Windows Mail.
I perused it before running and found two things that I changed.
- The recently used addresses
- Rules - they are German in the file, I changed them to English
The reg file used to change these two is shown below.
Again - these are minor and might have been noted elsewhere.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
; Remove MRU Addrs - WinMail
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses]
; Change German to English
"Name"=-"Alle Nachrichten anzeigen"
"Name"=-"Gelesene Nachrichten ausblenden"
"Name"="Hide read messages"
"Name"=-"Heruntergeladene Nachrichten anzeigen"
"Name"=-"Ignorierte/gelesene Nachrichten ausbl."
"Name"="Ignored / read messages"
Interesting and good catch in your perusing...
The issue though with you removing your a, b, c, d like that because if it's after the fact and you do it, it removes only the current placeholder of that key, iow, if in WM one had emailed with numerous people after the original reg merge and then you delete those 4 keys "a"=- thru "d"=- with your reg ...you're only removing the current placeholder since the others may have moved down the a-z list in their respective order. The correct way to remove them after the fact is to manually do it from your registry. Any new users that install WinMail from now on and use the new WinMailEdit.reg I've attached to this post will not have this problem. I've also removed the dozen redundant "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" entries that were scattered within since we only need one at the beginning!
Also Slartybart on your Change German to English ditty, nice peruse btw, but it is to know that even if you merged it originally with the German text like it was, Windows 7 'will' revert it to English after a WM restart anyway, confirmed, and so there is no need for you to change it like you have. Actually after testing it I've found out that even if you typed in complete gibberish in those \FFA \FFB \FFC \FFF registry keys and merged it, and it appears to take, however the next time you open WinMail it automatically reverts to what was hardcoded from MS. At first yes I did think it mattered, but after actually testing it showed me it does not matter what text is put in those particular keys, it will be reverted. I've edited my post.
Anyway fwiw besides the "Recently Used Addresses" entries noted but also the German text entries too, both of which seemed to have been introduced in 2009 on post 159
and then later mirrored in post 292
, but it does not matter at all though who inadvertently included these minor issues since we're just appreciative for Everyone's hard work on this entire project over the years, thanks to everyone for that.
Attached is a revised/updated WinMailEdit.reg with these changes above fixed which includes having changed the German to English text entries (even if only for visual reg esthetic value), and also have removed many of someone's personal email addresses value data store from the auto-complete address store key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses" that was inadvertently introduced by the source in the beginning of this project that the links above point to; fyi, you don't see their addresses while editing the original WinMailEdit.reg file unless you convert the data, otherwise you can see it pop up as you type within the "To:" field of your email and you just happen to start with their name ..anyway those emails all have been removed now as it should be. Also has been added the registry change from post 1160
which found the problem since 2009 for some users that had Windows Mail missing from the default programs listing and they could not set Windows Mail as the Default Mail Program - the registry entry to fix that problem is now included in this revised WinMailEdit.reg...
This should now be used in place of the first page tutorial one, or in the EKMantis
automated download, in both cases just replace those WinMailEdit.reg files with this one attached below.
(Removed Attachment since it's now included in the new tutorial)