Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Mail

18 Sep 2015   #1680
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ansionnach View Post
......
@ ansionnach, upon further testing this morning this workaround unfortunately does not work for WinMail on OS's Win8 or Win10 users - it still crashes there, but as mentioned partially works in Win7 WinMail and so it's better than it was for sure, especially for those that really need it like yourself or other IMAP accounts users.

I was going to outline and attach the x86 & x64 shdocvw.dll files for download on my WM Bug List post, but now is not advisable since it only would help a few Win7 users.

@nomatterwho
Mine works fine on WinMail Win7 x86 & x64, and all variations of rar files work fine too, besides I don't see how adding an unrelated dll to the WinMail "Programs" folder would affect that anyway (I trust you did not change out the System32 folder shdocvw.dll because that was not the instructions)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Sep 2015   #1681
NoMatterWho

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Oh, quiet stupid mistake: I did exactly what You trust I didn't. That bleeping localization completely confused me, so I skipped into System32 folder and stayed there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2016   #1682
terri13

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 
reviving WinMail aft running sfc

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
Okay I had some time this morning to fire up my test bench Windows 7 64bit, with WinMail installed, and do some testing, and here are the results:
100% Confirmed, that on Windows x64 using a working WinMail installation, with this registry entry present:
amd64_microsoft-windows-mail-core-dll_31bf3856ad364e35_none_c3c1597075bcd214
..and running sfc /scannow - it does break a working WinMail installation - WinMail just won't start afterwards and hangs open under processes (end task on WinMail.exe to release)

So as this was happening I did complete Software/Registry tracking of all the changes that SFC did, but I only outline here just what it did to 'to WinMail' to break it, which btw was pretty simple, it just overwrote the 64 bit msoe.dll to its cached version - no big deal at all.
I simply overwrote that msoe.dll back to the working version (which btw is v6.0.6002.18197) ..and WinMail started up again just fine.
So going forward then to stop SFC from doing that for 64 bit users, you can use this simple registry folder key I revised below in a reg file to remove it, or delete it by hand via regedit - and SFC works fine leaving the working msoe.dll alone.
For Tutorial users in future usage, all you need to do is enter this into you current WinMailEdit.reg, right under the other similar x86 SideBySide entry that's in there already right at the bottom:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\amd64_microsoft-windows-mail-core-dll_31bf3856ad364e35_none_c3c1597075bcd214]

Note: the exact same proofing procedure I had done with Windows7 x86, and in the same way it was proven to be 100% effective using that x86 SideBySide registry entry that's ''already in'' the current WinMailEdit.reg taking care of that.

Slartybart (Bill) if you want to add this x64 registry entry to the current WinMailEdit.reg that people download from your Page1 post, that would be great.

@ NoMatterWho, thank you again for bringing this x64 to our attention.
Also to your other questions, I can't yet say for sure what the registry folder key is in Windows 8 or Windows 10 since honestly I haven't checked yet; actually I never even use SFC anywhere, I used other methods for repairs.
I do run 32 bit versions of those Win8 & Win10 OS's, and so next time I have a chance I could check them out running SFC and see if the same thing happens to WinMail, and then easily isolate the registry keys involved and detail it. As for 64 bit versions I would have to install test bench setups for each of those (I need to do that anyway for other software testings) and do the same procedure, which should be pretty easy to detail the results.

Thank you
Ok, I'm a tad lost as to how to get my WinMail to open back up aft I foolishly ran sfc. It's still on my Windows 7 computer, and I can see the new mail notification but can't open the program. These registry fixes make it not happen again, but I'm lost on how to get WM back open, once it's lost thru running sfc. If I run the tutorial install again; will I keep all my emails?
Please help--as long as I keep Windows 7, want to use Windows Mail, which you guys made possible for me with your great tutorial! Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2016   #1683
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post

Ok, I'm a tad lost as to how to get my WinMail to open back up aft I foolishly ran sfc. It's still on my Windows 7 computer, and I can see the new mail notification but can't open the program. These registry fixes make it not happen again, but I'm lost on how to get WM back open, once it's lost thru running sfc. If I run the tutorial install again; will I keep all my emails?
Please help--as long as I keep Windows 7, want to use Windows Mail, which you guys made possible for me with your great tutorial! Thanks.
Hi terri,

Everything is fine so do not worry, it's a small matter, and aamof, the answer to fix it is all right there within everything you quoted that I said! ...So why have you not have it fixed yet? <g>

I did ask him already, but I see Slartybart did not edit the WinMailEdit.reg yet to include adding the registry key for x64 users yet so that this would not happen!
....And so if you manually remove/delete that registry key mentioned, then in the future you can run SFC all you want and it will not affect WinMail on specifically ''Windows 7'' any more!

And so the rest of the answer is, all you need to do copy the correct msoe.dll back in place - and it's fixed right back to where it was before your ran SFC. You see by you running SFC it deleted your proper msoe.dll is all, it's no big deal.

If your not sure how to replace the msoe.dll (which is simple) then yes as you asked, you can go the long way around route and run the tutorial again and that will do it for you, and no it will not change any settings or lose any emails.

(you may have to reboot to clear running WinMail process first if you've been clicking WinMail numerous times opening it trying to get it going)

No matter which way you do it, which replaces the msoe.dll again, don't forget to manually delete that registry key if you want to run SFC again without any 'future' WinMail problems with running SFC

I will PM Slartybart again and remind him to make the additional WinMailEdit.reg edit going forward.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jan 2016   #1684
terri13

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 
replacing msoe.dll..

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post

Ok, I'm a tad lost as to how to get my WinMail to open back up aft I foolishly ran sfc. It's still on my Windows 7 computer, and I can see the new mail notification but can't open the program. These registry fixes make it not happen again, but I'm lost on how to get WM back open, once it's lost thru running sfc. If I run the tutorial install again; will I keep all my emails?
Please help--as long as I keep Windows 7, want to use Windows Mail, which you guys made possible for me with your great tutorial! Thanks.
Hi terri,

Everything is fine so do not worry, it's a small matter, and aamof, the answer to fix it is all right there within everything you quoted that I said! ...So why have you not have it fixed yet? <g>

I did ask him already, but I see Slartybart did not edit the WinMailEdit.reg yet to include adding the registry key for x64 users yet so that this would not happen!
....And so if you manually remove/delete that registry key mentioned, then in the future you can run SFC all you want and it will not affect WinMail on specifically ''Windows 7'' any more!

And so the rest of the answer is, all you need to do copy the correct msoe.dll back in place - and it's fixed right back to where it was before your ran SFC. You see by you running SFC it deleted your proper msoe.dll is all, it's no big deal.

If your not sure how to replace the msoe.dll (which is simple) then yes as you asked, you can go the long way around route and run the tutorial again and that will do it for you, and no it will not change any settings or lose any emails.

(you may have to reboot to clear running WinMail process first if you've been clicking WinMail numerous times opening it trying to get it going)

No matter which way you do it, which replaces the msoe.dll again, don't forget to manually delete that registry key if you want to run SFC again without any 'future' WinMail problems with running SFC

I will PM Slartybart again and remind him to make the additional WinMailEdit.reg edit going forward.
Since the new WinMailEdit. isn't there yet, maybe it wd be easier for you to tell me how exactly I replace the msoe.dll? I wd surely appreciate your help and hope I'm not going out of the bounds of this post by asking you--I wd much prefer that to taking the 'long way around'! Thanks, Terri
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2016   #1685
NoMatterWho

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post
Since the new WinMailEdit. isn't there yet, maybe it wd be easier for you to tell me how exactly I replace the msoe.dll? I wd surely appreciate your help and hope I'm not going out of the bounds of this post by asking you--I wd much prefer that to taking the 'long way around'! Thanks, Terri
Hi!
1. Go to the 1st page and proceed steps 1&2
2. Stop with zip unpacked into You folder
3. Go http://www.sevenforums.com/3074957-post1646.html and select which one file You need 32bit or 64bit; You should to know which Windows You have: 32bit or 64 bit accordingly. PLEASE BE SHURE YOU SELECTED RIGHT FILE
4. Dowload and move that file into folder You made on step 2
5. Delete old WinMailEdit.rar file
6. Rename new file from step 4 as WinMailEdit.rar
7. Return to page 1 and go further from that step 3 until the end
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2016   #1686
terri13

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoMatterWho View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post
Since the new WinMailEdit. isn't there yet, maybe it wd be easier for you to tell me how exactly I replace the msoe.dll? I wd surely appreciate your help and hope I'm not going out of the bounds of this post by asking you--I wd much prefer that to taking the 'long way around'! Thanks, Terri
Hi!
1. Go to the 1st page and proceed steps 1&2
2. Stop with zip unpacked into You folder
3. Go http://www.sevenforums.com/3074957-post1646.html and select which one file You need 32bit or 64bit; You should to know which Windows You have: 32bit or 64 bit accordingly. PLEASE BE SHURE YOU SELECTED RIGHT FILE
4. Dowload and move that file into folder You made on step 2
5. Delete old WinMailEdit.rar file
6. Rename new file from step 4 as WinMailEdit.rar
7. Return to page 1 and go further from that step 3 until the end
Bear with me, but this seems like a new install of WM and I was hoping for instruction on simply replacing the msoe.dll that got changed w/the sfc. The list of files for my current WM installation has both a msoe.dll and a -msoe.dll (note the dash on second one), so do I replace one of those? I still have the files in my download folder from my original installation of Windows Mail, and see a msoe64.dll there, which I assume is the 64-bit version I need. Is that what I use to replace whichever of the dlls, or both, that are now in my program file? I'm afraid I'm rusty on all this as haven't had a serious glitch to repair in awhile! So I was hoping someone could tell me exactly how to just replace the faulty dll file.
Thanks for your reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2016   #1687
NoMatterWho

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Well, You are quiet lucky if You have original folder Just rename msoe64.dll into msoe.dll, then replace existing one in Program Files, NOT IN PROGRAM FILES (86)!!! and deal is done! Don't forget download and run WinMailEdit_64.rar which will make trick with stopping problems from time to time on Your 64-bit machine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2016   #1688
RKelly5327

 
 

Other email clients have been mentioned so just thought I'd toss this into the mix. I've been running OE now for quite some time. It's been working great! I had one experience when an update from Windows 10 knocked it out of commission, but my folders were still there. I had to find them again, so when I reinstalled OE I went to those folders to reload everything I had. If you do download it, you have to give a small donation, but I didn't mind that since it's not a set price. You have to download the language pack also so spell check works. It will stop WM from working. But if you're already having trouble with it, then OE might be the answer for you. Fidolook works with it too and it can be set up with IMAP settings if you want. I don't understand Fidolook much, but some do. I'm running MS Outlook 2007 right along with it and have no problems with that. The guy who has done this is good with support, too.

Here is the link for it if you're interested. Run As XP - Outlook Express compatibility forum

Ron K
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2016   #1689
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post
Since the new WinMailEdit. isn't there yet, maybe it wd be easier for you to tell me how exactly I replace the msoe.dll? I wd surely appreciate your help and hope I'm not going out of the bounds of this post by asking you--I wd much prefer that to taking the 'long way around'! Thanks, Terri
I did not mean the term the long way around the way it sounded. The instructions what to do have already been clearly given.
If you are asking me the basics of how to you replace the msoe.dll, which is simply to Copy/Paste the 'correct' one on top of the other to replace it, which takes 5 seconds - to run the tutorial just takes a few minutes, so you see the term 'long way around' I used was relative. If you don't know how to proceed then that's why the tutorial is there that does everything for you so just use the tutorial process.

You mention new tutorial but it is the new tutorial already, again the only thing missing is the one simple registry key added to the WinMailEdit.reg that then deletes the one registry key as you run the tutorial process, that then stops SFC from overwriting the proper msoe.dll going forward 'specifically' on Win7 x64. You terri don't need to do that to make 'your' WinMail run again, it's only needed if you want to run SFC again as mentioned.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by terri13 View Post
The list of files for my current WM installation has both a msoe.dll and a -msoe.dll (note the dash on second one), so do I replace one of those? I still have the files in my download folder from my original installation of Windows Mail, and see a msoe64.dll there, which I assume is the 64-bit version I need. Is that what I use to replace whichever of the dlls, or both, that are now in my program file? I'm afraid I'm rusty on all this as haven't had a serious glitch to repair in awhile! So I was hoping someone could tell me exactly how to just replace the faulty dll file.
Thanks for your reply.
Well, if you feel you want to do it manually, I see you have everything you need already from your second post quote above.
Be sure WinMail is closed before you begin.
Now just delete both the msoe.dll and the -msoe.dll you mentioned above thats in your WinMail programs folder now.
Now copy/paste that msoe64.dll you mentioned that's still in your downloads folder, into your WinMail programs folder which is:
C:\Program Files\Windows Mail
..of course then Be Sure to rename that file now to just msoe.dll
..and that's it, WinMail should start right up
(fwiw, terri, if you had run the first page Tutorial again on your setup, in the end, the only changes made, ends up to do the exact same thing! - so both way are good)


Now to fix SFC, if you wanted to add the registry key yourself, then for now until Slartybart adds the entry to the WinMailEdit.reg, then to do it manually make a registry file of that same key and merge it, is done by opening a new blank .txt file in notepad, copy/paste this entry (within the quote) into it:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\amd64_microsoft-windows-mail-core-dll_31bf3856ad364e35_none_c3c1597075bcd214]
Save the notepad file as anything.txt ... then rename the extension from .txt to .reg, and then double click this new reg file to merge its contents - done. SFC wont bother x64 WinMail msoe.dll anymore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Mail




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
How can I make Windows Mail message store work in Windows Live Mail
My sister-in-law’s Window Mail is now inoperative and now wants to use Windows Live Mail instead. I have installed a Windows Live Mail POP account for her on my computer which is working satisfactory but she wants her old Windows Mail messages. I managed to have save her Windows Mail message...
Browsers & Mail
windows 7 32bit live mail with time warner wi rr/ sending e-mail
I can receive mail and send mail but the target does not receive it, I get no error message but my sent box says it was sent, this has been going on now for about at least three weeks, I have sent mail out of roadrunner direct with no problem, I have been using this program for about three years...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App