Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Mail

13 Jun 2010   #570
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
For reasons already stated, not all of us have only 1 or 2 mail accounts and for me, with 10 mail accounts, WLM is messy, cumbersoms and, quite honestly, a pain in the you-know-what to use.

It was badly thought out.

I don't want to have to keep scrolling up and down trying to find incoming mail.

In WLM when I go to delete something I have to delete it at least twice before it actually goes into the deleted folder, becuase it appears in at least 2 places.

I would gladly use WLM if it was simply a gussied-up WM with the kinks ironed out but it isn't.
Hi Ex_Brit, at the risk of being a traitor to the WinMail cause, I have been running WinLiveMail as default email client for several weeks to try to find work arounds to the common problems.

In a previous post here I have found a work around that might be acceptable to you for using muliple accounts. By right clicking the "Quick View" folder name in the left pane, and selecting "Quick Views", it has options that can be set so it acts as a master folder similar to Local Folders in WinMail. It allows you to see "All Emails" and when they are deleted from Quick Views, they're gone from all other locations.

Re the messy view of all accounts and sub-folders for these accounts, on the left side of each account name is a small button which hides all the sub-folders, so you only see the names of the accounts. And most times I've not needed to open them but can almost do everything from Quick Views.

roncerr mentioned various problems, such as:
Quote:
It constantly asks if you want to put your email pictures on their server or not calling it "photo mail" instead of "server photo mail".
For whatever reason I haven't experienced this problem.

Contacts are still stored in the normal location: Start Orb --> User Name --> Contacts. I didn't need to import them to WinLiveMail. It auto picked them up and put them in Contacts accessible via the Contacts button at the bottom left of the main window.

Emails and accounts are still stored on the hard drive in AppData. In contrast to WinMail which has one storage folder named Local Folders for all accounts and emails, WinLiveMail has individual Account Folders. Each individual account folder has one account file, and a complete set of Inbox, Outbox, etc.

This makes importing emails from WinMail a little more complicated. Using a straight export/import approach they are all stored in a set of folders for Inbox, Outbox, etc, which is located in Storage Folders. By using a slight variation on my post for importing emails to WinMail from Vista, found here, it is possible to import them all in one fell swoop into any account folder of your choice. And that folder will be set up with exactly the same folders as was in WinMail.

The variation consists in selecting any account in WLM that you want to use as the destination account in AppData. Delete all the yellow folders, (Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) from the destination folder in WinLiveMail, but NOT the account file.

Now import all the yellow sub-folders, (Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) from Local Folders in the AppData folder in WinMail by copying/pasting them to the empty Account Folder in WinLiveMail in AppData. Do not import the white account file. The account you have chosen will now be set up exactly like the Local Folders in WinMail when you open it in the main window of WinLiveMail.

One other feature is that when setting up accounts all you normally need to put in is the ISP user name and password and it auto fills in the POP3, SMTP data.

Hope this might help. Cheers PB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jun 2010   #571
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
roncerr mentioned various problems, such as:
Quote:
It constantly asks if you want to put your email pictures on their server or not calling it "photo mail" instead of "server photo mail".
For whatever reason I haven't experienced this problem.

Contacts are still stored in the normal location: Start Orb --> User Name --> Contacts. I didn't need to import them to WinLiveMail. It auto picked them up and put them in Contacts accessible via the Contacts button at the bottom left of the main window.
By "constantly" I meant that when you decide to email a picture you are by default given the option each and every time to choose between "photo (=server) mail" or not. You can turn off the photo mail option in the registry but then you can never use it without going back to the registry.

In order to test the contacts situation, you need to unplug your network connection or "go offline"; in addition try to set the option to never sign in. You will see different contact lists. I did the testing by going to the website directly to set up contacts, then to the "Contacts folder" in Explorer and finally to the normal contacts when you login through WLM. The 3 lists never sync completely. I'll do the test again but let me know if you tried this test for yourself. Ideally, when you are logged in via WLM and "synced" to the online contacts, you would like the local contact lists (in User/Contacts and the complicated Explorer path to WLM contacts) to be updated to agree but they don't. So the question becomes what do you back up locally and can you really choose contacts when "woring offline".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #572
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
By "constantly" I meant that when you decide to email a picture you are by default given the option each and every time to choose between "photo (=server) mail" or not. You can turn off the photo mail option in the registry but then you can never use it without going back to the registry.

In order to test the contacts situation, you need to unplug your network connection or "go offline"; in addition try to set the option to never sign in. You will see different contact lists. I did the testing by going to the website directly to set up contacts, then to the "Contacts folder" in Explorer and finally to the normal contacts when you login through WLM. The 3 lists never sync completely. I'll do the test again but let me know if you tried this test for yourself. Ideally, when you are logged in via WLM and "synced" to the online contacts, you would like the local contact lists (in User/Contacts and the complicated Explorer path to WLM contacts) to be updated to agree but they don't. So the question becomes what do you back up locally and can you really choose contacts when "woring offline".
Hi roncerr, thanks for feedback. I think you're doing stuff on WinLiveMail that I don't. I use it purely as an email client for sending/receving emails. I don't use it to contact any online pals as in WinMessenger, and so don't use online contacts; nor do I log in to WinLive. I use SKYPE, PalTalk or FaceBook for online chatting with a webcam or typed messages. When I am off-line I can still create new emails and access my contacts on my hard drive to address the new emails. However, I'm not sure that's what you meant?

With regard to sending images or photos, there are two options given in the Menu bar under Insert for including an image or photo into the body of the main text. I go to Menu Bar > Insert > Image then choose either Photo E-Mail OR Inline. Photo can also be chosen from a Photo button just above the main text. If Inline is chosen it just inserts the image you choose. If Photo E-Mail is chosen, it includes a photo and then two new buttons appear just above the main text. They are Format and Layout. These allow the photo in the main body of text to be edited in size, type of border, indent, text box in the photo, etc.

In addition, either a single photo, or a folder of WinZipped photos can be sent as an attachment. However, once again I not sure if we're talking about the same thing? Maybe talking at crossed purposes?

When carrying out any of the above functions I never receive any request, except to choose one of the options of inserting an image/photo in the text or adding an attachment. I do miss having a shortcut button on the task bar, which is in WinMail, to click and add an image inline. The drop down menu from Insert is a longer process.

Cheers PB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #573
acensor

Win 7 Premium, Vista Ultimate, XP Pro
 
 
Will I be happy with plain vanilla use of WLM client?

Hi BP,
You wrote " I use it purely as an email client for sending/receving emails."

Sounds like me. I do create a robust collection of local email folders and store many old emails there for reference. And of course occassionally mail out attachments, recieve attachments, do a "save as" on some attachments.
And I do use the search function to retrieve that email I sent to someone back a few years ago that had the phrase "Napoleon Bonapart" in it <g>.

As long as WLM client will let me talk to my non-microsoft POP email account and do the usual configuration (such as in Account settings, advanced, tell the client to leave 30 days of downloaded email out there on the POP server) I should be happy.

But I never do chat, and if I want to access my email via the web I'll do it though my email account service (fastmail.fm) own webmail interface, not MS's Live, thank you.

So based on my blathering above and your experience would you imagine I can live with WLM client? (As I'm a little reluctant to jump through all the hoops needed to get WM to run on Win7 unless there's a COMPELLING reason for ME to do so?

Your opinion?

Alex
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jun 2010   #574
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
...I think you're doing stuff on WinLiveMail that I don't. I use it purely as an email client for sending/receving emails...

With regard to sending images or photos, there are two options given in the Menu bar...
Regarding the contact situation, I do use it ONLY for email. That doesn't change the fact that now there are 3 separate contact lists whereas in Windows Mail there was only one.

The Photo mail situation is discussed in this thread: WLM Photo Mail . I failed to mention that it comes up when right clicking on a photo (.jpg file) and choosing "send to email recipient". That's when by default it always asks you to choose unless you make the choice permanent and then can't easily revert back to having the option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #575
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Regarding the contact situation, I do use it ONLY for email. That doesn't change the fact that now there are 3 separate contact lists whereas in Windows Mail there was only one.

The Photo mail situation is discussed in this thread: WLM Photo Mail . I failed to mention that it comes up when right clicking on a photo (.jpg file) and choosing "send to email recipient". That's when by default it always asks you to choose unless you make the choice permanent and then can't easily revert back to having the option.
Point taken re the 3 separate contact lists. This is not an issue for me personally since as I've already mentioned I don't use Windows Live anything except WinLiveMail and then purely as a vehicle for sending/receiving emails.

As to being web based all my emails are stored at either YahooMail web site, or my ISP web site, so that's not an issue.

Re photos, I have just sent 3 jpeg photos using the method described by yourself. These are the steps:

1. Right click photo --> Send --> Mail recipient -->

2. Click: Attach -->

All I need to add is the contact recipient address and a message if desired.

I have not changed any settings re this function in WinLiveMail.

The version of WinLiveMail I'm using is: 14.0.8117.0416

Cheers PB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #576
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acensor View Post
Hi BP,
You wrote " I use it purely as an email client for sending/receving emails."

Sounds like me. I do create a robust collection of local email folders and store many old emails there for reference. And of course occassionally mail out attachments, recieve attachments, do a "save as" on some attachments.
And I do use the search function to retrieve that email I sent to someone back a few years ago that had the phrase "Napoleon Bonapart" in it <g>.

As long as WLM client will let me talk to my non-microsoft POP email account and do the usual configuration (such as in Account settings, advanced, tell the client to leave 30 days of downloaded email out there on the POP server) I should be happy.

But I never do chat, and if I want to access my email via the web I'll do it though my email account service (fastmail.fm) own webmail interface, not MS's Live, thank you.

So based on my blathering above and your experience would you imagine I can live with WLM client? (As I'm a little reluctant to jump through all the hoops needed to get WM to run on Win7 unless there's a COMPELLING reason for ME to do so?

Your opinion?

Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes, I believe you could live quite comforably with WinLiveMail, after making a few adjustments to settings; and being patient and taking the time to become familiarized with the new window face of emails, and different locations of command buttons, etc. While still retaining WinMail as a dormant but active application, I have been using WLM as the default email client now for nearly 3 weeks and after the initial panic attacks because I couldn't find certain things, I now use it with very few problems.

And in quite a few areas I actually find it better than WinMail. For instance, when setting up your email accounts, normally all you need put in is your ISP user name and password, and it auto fills, (or you can do it manually), POP3 & SMTP data; or will refer you via links to web sites to show how to set up alternatives to the above if needed. An example of this is when setting up a GMail account where IMAP settings are required. After putting in user name and password, it comes up with the following message and link:


Windows Mail-capture-2.png


It's obvious the program is still in a stage of evolution, as there are a few minor glitches, but hopefully these will be straightened out with time, and hopefully mega users sending feedback to Microsoft. To send feedback right click the Help button, (right hand side of top task bar). To the immediate left of the Help button there is a button with the following options: Layout, Options, Safety Options, Customize Toolbar, Show/Hide Menu Bar. The SPAM filter/Junk Mail filter is now under Safety Options. For me I find it essential to show the Menu Bar.

I have done two posts here and here on WinLiveMail. The first post was in response to Microsoft asking me to review WLM, (WinLiveMail), Wave 4, and was a general comparison of pros and cons between WinMail and WLM. The second showed various modifications that can be made to the view settings of the multiple accounts in the left panel of the main window of WLM.

The main objection most people come up with is the enforced view of every account in the left panel, with sub-folders of Inbox, Sent Items etc, for each account. However, as mentioned in the 2nd link above, the Accounts view can be contracted so only the account name is seen. And also, "Quick Views" folder in the left panel can be configured by right clicking the folder name, and setting view options, so it functions as a master folder showing all emails, much like Local Folders in WinMail.

Importing emails is fairly simple as long as you still have WinMail active in Windows 7. In menu bar go to File --> Import --> Messages --> Highlight: Windows Mail --> Next --> Next --> Finish. All your WinMail folders and messages will be stored in Storage Folders under the sub-folder Imported Folders --> Local Folders. Using a small modification to the import process, the WinMail folders can be imported to any given account you choose, and set up exactly the same as you have them in WinMail. For details of this modification see post here to Ex_Brit, or here for more background on this import method.

As mentioned in the post above to roncerr it is irrelevant to me whether WLM is web based or not. The point is it's not for for my purposes. My mail is web based at YahooMail or my ISP, and I can go there to get my emails any time. However, these servers are set up to auto flow through to WLM on my hard drive. Before Yahoo will allow this you need to be willing to receive email ads from time to time.

Hope this helps. Cheers PB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #577
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
...I don't use Windows Live anything except WinLiveMail and then purely as a vehicle for sending/receiving emails...

...As to being web based all my emails are stored at either YahooMail web site, or my ISP web site, so that's not an issue...

Re photos, I have just sent 3 jpeg photos using the method described by yourself.The version of WinLiveMail I'm using is: 14.0.8117.0416
I also use it only for email but I do one more thing with it. I save certain emails and of course my contacts on my computer so that I will always have them even when there is no internet access. I've been saving emails since 2001. My brother, for his law practice, left all his emails on yahoo.com email. One day they were all gone and replaced with spam. Yahoo told him "sorry you must have been hijacked by somone who guessed your password...use a better password". That can't happen to me if I keep my emails and contacts on my computer and make backups. It doesn't matter if Microsoft looses them or I loose internet connectivity since I have them. So I send, receive, and SAVE with my email client.

As for the Photo email, I can get my version of WLM to behave like yours by setting the "Publish Photos" registry setting to "0". If you want to use the "Photo Mail (=server)" option, try setting yours to "1" and you will get the option to use it each time. My version is slightly behind yours (change 8117 to 8089) but I can't say whether that explains the difference. Can you send a "Photo (=on server) Mail"? If you can, how did you do it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #578
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
I also use it only for email but I do one more thing with it. I save certain emails and of course my contacts on my computer so that I will always have them even when there is no internet access. I've been saving emails since 2001. My brother, for his law practice, left all his emails on yahoo.com email. One day they were all gone and replaced with spam. Yahoo told him "sorry you must have been hijacked by somone who guessed your password...use a better password". That can't happen to me if I keep my emails and contacts on my computer and make backups. It doesn't matter if Microsoft looses them or I loose internet connectivity since I have them. So I send, receive, and SAVE with my email client.

As for the Photo email, I can get my version of WLM to behave like yours by setting the "Publish Photos" registry setting to "0". If you want to use the "Photo Mail (=server)" option, try setting yours to "1" and you will get the option to use it each time. My version is slightly behind yours (change 8117 to 8089) but I can't say whether that explains the difference. Can you send a "Photo (=on server) Mail"? If you can, how did you do it?
Hi Roncerr,

Basically my approach is very similar to yours. I never leave anything on either Yahoo or my ISP web mail sites, or in an email client. Both web sites are set to auto download to my WLM evey time I open the program, which is whenever I log onto my PC. As soon as they're downloaded I drag/drop them from WLM onto desktop, delete them from WLM, and after reading, file them into various files on my desktop such as Edit, Sending, Pending, etc. At the same time I also file them into various folders in my storage partition. And just for good measure, onto an InCD formatted disc. The beauty of the storage partition & the InCD is that the files can be drag/dropped from the interface of Win7, while still retaining the originals on the desktop, and is very quick to do. Then about once every two weeks I burn them all onto a master Data DVD with Nero. Probably a bit over the top, but works very well for me.


Pardon my ignorance but I don't really understand what you mean by:
Quote:
"Can you send a "Photo (=on server) Mail"? If you can, how did you do it?"
If you mean go to the web site of my ISP or Yahoo and send the email from there with a photo, then the answer is no, I've never needed or attempted to do that. I've only ever sent emails from my desktop interface using an email client application... except on very rare occasions from a mobile phone used as a modem connected to a PC via BlueTooth and through SKYPE.

These are the only methods I've ever used to send photos or embody images in text:
  • As attachments, singly or in bulk as a zipped file, using the following command in an email Menu Bar --> Insert file as attachment --> Browsed to find the phot/zip file --> Highlighted the photo --> Clicked: Open and it was added.
  • Embodied in the text by going to Menu Bar --> Insert --> Image --> Photo E-Mail --> Browsed to photos or images stored on hard drive --> Highlighted the photo --> Clicked Add --> Done.
Embodied in the text by going to Menu Bar --> Insert --> Image --> Inline --> Browsed to photos or images --> Highlighted the photo --> Clicked the image and it was in the body of the text. The appearance is the same as the above picture.
Notice the three buttons just above the image. This image shows the Photo option being used from the three buttons, with the editing tools.



  • Opened storage folder with photos --> Right click Photo/Zip file of photos --> Send to Mail recipient. As explained in the previous post, the photo is added as an addachment to a new email.
Cheers PB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #579
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

I save somewhat differently. All emails and contacts ever received/used are in the email client (OE, WM, or WLM). I just back up the folders created by the client for the purpose of storage. If if need to recover or search for anything after say reinstalling the OS, I just "import" using the saved folders into the newly installed email client (OE, WM or WLM). I need to feel comfortable that it's all always on my PC (whether also in the cloud or not) without saving it outside the email client's built-in file system.

If you want to know what Microsoft means by "Photo Email" use the help link in WLM. Apparently it involves storing the full sized photo(s) on their server and attaching a "thumbnail link" to the email. If the recipient wants to have the full sized version they save it by going to Microsoft's servers using the thumbnail link and downloading it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Mail




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
How can I make Windows Mail message store work in Windows Live Mail
My sister-in-law’s Window Mail is now inoperative and now wants to use Windows Live Mail instead. I have installed a Windows Live Mail POP account for her on my computer which is working satisfactory but she wants her old Windows Mail messages. I managed to have save her Windows Mail message...
Browsers & Mail
windows 7 32bit live mail with time warner wi rr/ sending e-mail
I can receive mail and send mail but the target does not receive it, I get no error message but my sent box says it was sent, this has been going on now for about at least three weeks, I have sent mail out of roadrunner direct with no problem, I have been using this program for about three years...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App