Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Mail


17 Mar 2009   #839
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 
Windows Mail

How to Reinstate Windows Mail in Windows 7



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2010   #840
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hfrank View Post
. . . I went into the registry to edit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER ==> Software ==> Classes ==> eml_auto_file

and found that eml_auto_file does not exist in my registry (Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit).

Nor can I simply cut and paste from Vista. I am upgrading from XP-Pro.

Any suggestions?

Harry Frank
Red River, NM
USA
Footnote 2 in the tutorial referring to this regedit says: "Manually edit the following registry key if it is installed."

If it doesn't exist you don't have to worry about it.

You don't need to cut and paste anything from Vista. Everything you need is in the tutorial on page one of this thread.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2011   #841
Ex_Brit

Vista Ult SP2/Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 8.1 Pro w/MC (all x64)
 
 

Windows 7 SP1 breaks Windows Mail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2011   #842
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
Windows 7 SP1 breaks Windows Mail.
Hi Brit, I've been using WLM for some time now and won't be going back to Windows Mail. When you say that it breaks it, does it put it back in the original state as it was prior to us getting it to work. I'm mostly wanting it to restore TrustedInstaller as owner with all the permissions that go with it. I can do it manually, but so far, it hasn't meant that much to me to do it,lol. I assume SP1 will also break Wmp 11 for those who have downgraded?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2011   #843
Ex_Brit

Vista Ult SP2/Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 8.1 Pro w/MC (all x64)
 
 

It simply doesn't open - same thing that happened a while back with an update. Probably as simple as replacing that key msoe.dll, but am too busy check at the moment as one of the SP1 installs is failing each time and I'm trying to troubleshoot. Coincidentally its the only one that is x86.

The only reason I don't use Windows Live Mail is, as I have 10 email accounts, I can't stand the way WLM insists that I have to have 10 inboxes and 10 of every other folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2011   #844
Ex_Brit

Vista Ult SP2/Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 8.1 Pro w/MC (all x64)
 
 

I was right...thought I should find time to sort it out straight away. Simply replacing the msoe.dll with the old version does the trick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #845
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
I was right...thought I should find time to sort it out straight away. Simply replacing the msoe.dll with the old version does the trick.
Hi Ex_Brit. Interesting, but makes perfect sense since SP1 includes and updates with all previous updates. I assume it must be detecting the msoe.dll as needing updating and replaces it. The normal Windows updater does not do this, provided the msoe.dll is modified after the culprit KB update has been installed, and left in place.

Some who manually update, prefer to remove the KB update, and mark it as not to be shown as an update in the future. They then modify the msoe.dll correctly assuming the KB update will never be downloaded again. Obvioulsy in this scenario, however, the SP1 does detect and update the msoe.dll which totally stops WinMail.

Like Greg S I'm also using WinLiveMail and have been for some time now. However, I keep WinMail active as there are still some glitches in the old WinLiveMail and the latest version. Like yourself though, I find it irksome that I can't prevent all email accounts as being shown, even though I only have two. The best I can do to alleviate this is to use "Quick Views" in the left hand side window, and configure it to show all emails. I then reduce the other accounts to display only as the name of the account. To retain this display set up, I have found it necessary to highlight the title "Quick View" title before closing WLM.

Re glitches, in the old WLM version, which I use, when I create an email and add images in-line to the main body of text, and then send them to my bulk mailing list, the images are lost. I can work around this by sending it as a one off to my own email address, which when it's received retains the images. I then forward the copy in the inbox to the bulk mailing addresses and the images are then retained.

In the latest WLM version, while there's no problem with in-line images, it is not possible to format the background with an image, sound or color. It can be worked around by creating a new email in WinMail and adding the desired background formatting, then saving it to desktop, or wherever. Since WLM is the default email client, if the email is then re-opened it will be done by WLM and still retain the background formatting. This is a very cumbersome work around. I've contacted M$ via the WLM forum re this issue, but they are non-commital.

However, since I haven't used the latst WLM for some time now, maybe they've now added this feature in the interim? Can anyone confirm or deny?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #846
Ex_Brit

Vista Ult SP2/Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 8.1 Pro w/MC (all x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
I was right...thought I should find time to sort it out straight away. Simply replacing the msoe.dll with the old version does the trick.
Hi Ex_Brit. Interesting, but makes perfect sense since SP1 includes and updates with all previous updates. I assume it must be detecting the msoe.dll as needing updating and replaces it. The normal Windows updater does not do this, provided the msoe.dll is modified after the culprit KB update has been installed, and left in place.

Some who manually update, prefer to remove the KB update, and mark it as not to be shown as an update in the future. They then modify the msoe.dll correctly assuming the KB update will never be downloaded again. Obvioulsy in this scenario, however, the SP1 does detect and update the msoe.dll which totally stops WinMail.

Like Greg S I'm also using WinLiveMail and have been for some time now. However, I keep WinMail active as there are still some glitches in the old WinLiveMail and the latest version. Like yourself though, I find it irksome that I can't prevent all email accounts as being shown, even though I only have two. The best I can do to alleviate this is to use "Quick Views" in the left hand side window, and configure it to show all emails. I then reduce the other accounts to display only as the name of the account. To retain this display set up, I have found it necessary to highlight the title "Quick View" title before closing WLM.

Re glitches, in the old WLM version, which I use, when I create an email and add images in-line to the main body of text, and then send them to my bulk mailing list, the images are lost. I can work around this by sending it as a one off to my own email address, which when it's received retains the images. I then forward the copy in the inbox to the bulk mailing addresses and the images are then retained.

In the latest WLM version, while there's no problem with in-line images, it is not possible to format the background with an image, sound or color. It can be worked around by creating a new email in WinMail and adding the desired background formatting, then saving it to desktop, or wherever. Since WLM is the default email client, if the email is then re-opened it will be done by WLM and still retain the background formatting. This is a very cumbersome work around. I've contacted M$ via the WLM forum re this issue, but they are non-commital.

However, since I haven't used the latst WLM for some time now, maybe they've now added this feature in the interim? Can anyone confirm or deny?
In other words, WLM is a pain in the you-know-what...!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #847
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post
In other words, WLM is a pain in the you-know-what...!
Yep, have to agree with that! Leaves a bit to be desired. Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen and M$ will actually listen to what the consumers want! Then again, maybe I'll win lotto!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2011   #848
tangentjohn

Windows 7RC
 
 
Windows Mail not in Default Programs List

The title says it. I have windows mail working well. The third computer I've done it on. However the right click>send to Mail recipient does nothing. The *click* disappears into lala land. Of course I tried changing the default on "mail recipient" from 'unknown program' to 'windows mail'. That would open Windows Mail, but not a new letter and, of course, didn't import the file I was trying to send. And then I could only undo that with a system restore.

I had (have?) hopes that by going to: default programs> set program access and computer defaults> custom> choose default e-mail program> Windows Mail (it does show HERE!)> and lastly enable access to this program, I would finally make Windows Mail fully functional.

Alas, I may never know. The "enable access to this program" check box is greyed out and when I tell it "OK" it resets back to "Use my current e-mail program" (Which IS Windows mail).

So, bottom line, How can I get my Right Click (on some file)> Send To> Email Recipient to open a letter ready to send in Windows Mail?????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #849
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tangentjohn View Post
The title says it. I have windows mail working well. The third computer I've done it on. However the right click>send to Mail recipient does nothing. The *click* disappears into lala land. Of course I tried changing the default on "mail recipient" from 'unknown program' to 'windows mail'. That would open Windows Mail, but not a new letter and, of course, didn't import the file I was trying to send. And then I could only undo that with a system restore.

I had (have?) hopes that by going to: default programs> set program access and computer defaults> custom> choose default e-mail program> Windows Mail (it does show HERE!)> and lastly enable access to this program, I would finally make Windows Mail fully functional.

Alas, I may never know. The "enable access to this program" check box is greyed out and when I tell it "OK" it resets back to "Use my current e-mail program" (Which IS Windows mail).

So, bottom line, How can I get my Right Click (on some file)> Send To> Email Recipient to open a letter ready to send in Windows Mail?????
Hi John, unfortunately I don't have any ready answers on this. I'm running both WinLiveMail and WinMail on Windows 7 Ult Retail version, and both mail programs will execute this command, from the one that is set to default. Default can be set from within the program via Internet Options under the General tab. When WinMail is first run, it should auto ask if you want to set it as default.

It might be that your original Windows Mail folder in progam files had become corrupted? Do you have access to a virgin copy of this WinMail folder? It might be worth replacing all existing files in this folder and running the tutorial from the top. Or at least running system file check with the following command in the Run box: sfc /scannow.

Just to cover all bases, did you update the msoe.dll file in this folder with the current one in the tutorial to counteract the effects of the KB978542 update? And finally, if you're running 64bit, I assume you modified the msoe.dll file in the normal program files and not in the 32bit Program files(x86)?

It might depend on the machine you have it on? Some laptops have encountered problems that seemed unique to the machine, possibly due to a BIOS issue.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Cheers PB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows Mail




Tutorial Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33