Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Mail


17 Mar 2009   #889
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 
Windows Mail

How to Reinstate Windows Mail in Windows 7



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Feb 2011   #890
mick823

Win 7 Professional and Windows 8 Professional
 
 

Performed a repair install by selecting the "Upgrade" option from the installation DVD. After completion the system prompted me to perform 60+ updates. Checked the list to make sure they were all checked, including all optional updates. Finally after all of that I did a check for updates and had the SP1 update available. After chugging along for what seemed to be hours sitting at 31% completion it finally installed properly.

Greg,

This method worked for me without fail on 3 different machines. All of my software was retained and so far has worked without a hitch. It is time consuming and takes up to 6 hours depending on the computers relative power. My netbook with an Atom and 2GB took about 6 hours total while my dual core Dell with 3 GB took an hour or so less. My last line about "chugging along for what seemed like hours" was actually about 45-60 minutes. See my previous message #948 if you have the modified Windows Mail installed. It works on 32 bit but I don't know about 64 bit.

(Repair reinstall requires your 25 digit product code and will require re-activating afterwords...bummer)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Feb 2011   #891
Sylver123

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mick823 View Post
Performed a repair install by selecting the "Upgrade" option from the installation DVD. After completion the system prompted me to perform 60+ updates. Checked the list to make sure they were all checked, including all optional updates. Finally after all of that I did a check for updates and had the SP1 update available. After chugging along for what seemed to be hours sitting at 31% completion it finally installed properly.

Greg,

This method worked for me without fail on 3 different machines. All of my software was retained and so far has worked without a hitch. It is time consuming and takes up to 6 hours depending on the computers relative power. My netbook with an Atom and 2GB took about 6 hours total while my dual core Dell with 3 GB took an hour or so less. My last line about "chugging along for what seemed like hours" was actually about 45-60 minutes. See my previous message #948 if you have the modified Windows Mail installed. It works on 32 bit but I don't know about 64 bit.

(Repair reinstall requires your 25 digit product code and will require re-activating afterwords...bummer)
You don`t need to keep re-activating your Windows 7 online if you use this tool below to back up your activation and then you can restore it at any time.
Paymyrent Token restore for mak keys and retail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #892
TheEagle54

64 bit win 7
 
 

Just to clarify the situation and hopefully help others by not having to read through all the thread.

This is what I have found re Win 7 and SP1

OPTION 1 (WORKS)
Reformatted PC installed Win 7 (64 bit) Home Premium; then immediately installed SP1 using the .exe file (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe).
Then using the tutorial I installed Windows Mail

OPTION 2 (PROBLEMS - DID NOT WORK)
Had Windows 7 and Windows Mail working last 16 months with no problems, when I tried to install SP1 windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe it would not complete. Finally after many hours I managed to get it to install; however the existing Windows Mail would not work.
Tried repair all to no avail. As time was not on my side (needed PC up and running) the only way I managed to get it to work was reformatting (see option 1)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #893
zagidram

Windows 7 Prof 32bit
 
 
Window Calendar

Hi Greg, Hi Poppa Bear
Wanted to let you know, tried the regedits (WinCalEdit) you did to enable Windows Calendar to operate from the button on the top taskbar of WinMail.exe in Windows 7 32bit installation. It does not work. Happens nothing after the button click. Can you help me pls!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #894
Gobbledegeek

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Is this the answer to installing SP1?

Try this if you have used the method described at the front of this thread to enable Windows Mail in Win 7 and now can't install SP1:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\ and move the file msoe.dll to another location. If it won't move you will need to 'take control' of the file as described in the first page of this thread. (This is the file you downloaded to make the modification).

2. Open Control Panel - System and Security - Windows Update - View update history. Look for KB978542 and uninstall it. This update addresses a security threat to Windows Mail and makes numerous changes to the registry. I think this is what is causing the conflict with SP1. On my machine this update installed in August 2010, which may help you to find it in the list.

3. Open an elevated Command Prompt and run the System File Checker (Start - All Programs - Acessories, right click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator). Enter sfc /scannow. This checks the integrity of the system and tries to make corrections where it can. If the process terminates with a message saying there are no conflicts you should be good to go - install SP1, otherwise go to 5.

4. If SP1 has installed you just need to re-enable Windows Mail. In the Windows Mail folder you will find a new version of msoe.dll created by the upgrade process. Rename this and copy back the msoe.dll file that you moved in Step 1. If in any doubt this should be the same file that you downloaded from the front page of this thread. Windows Mail should now be functional in SP1.

5. If the System File Checker says that it found errors but could not correct them all then you still have a problem. Go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ and copy the file CBS.log to another location (you won't be able to open the original). Open the file with a text editor and search for 'cannot repair'. This may suggest where you are having problems - that's how I found KB978542 - but you are on your own as I am no expert in interpreting the contents of this file.

This worked for me on two laptops and one desktop. Hope this helps someone. Of course your mileage may vary and I am not liable if it doesn't work for you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #895
zagidram

Windows 7 Prof 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zagidram View Post
Hi Greg, Hi Poppa Bear
Wanted to let you know, tried the regedits (WinCalEdit) you did to enable Windows Calendar to operate from the button on the top taskbar of WinMail.exe in Windows 7 32bit installation. It does not work. Happens nothing after the button click. Can you help me pls!
Problem solved!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #896
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek View Post
Try this if you have used the method described at the front of this thread to enable Windows Mail in Win 7 and now can't install SP1:
Which method are you referring to? I assume it is the original first method. Reason being, if you followed the one by Poppa Bear, sfc /scannow shouldn't make a difference where msoe.dll is concerned. Part of the regedits that are done for his tut remove the winsxs reference for the reversal of the original msoe.dll.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 115
Size:  21.5 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #897
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zagidram View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zagidram View Post
Hi Greg, Hi Poppa Bear
Wanted to let you know, tried the regedits (WinCalEdit) you did to enable Windows Calendar to operate from the button on the top taskbar of WinMail.exe in Windows 7 32bit installation. It does not work. Happens nothing after the button click. Can you help me pls!
Problem solved!
Hi zagidram, sorry, I didn't see the request till now. Glad you got it working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2011   #898
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Saw this at the Browsers and Mail Forum:

THE FIX for Windows mail after the SP1 Update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2011   #899
swblake

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
Issue with Windows Mail Reinstate

Hello- I, and several others, have encountered an issue after running the Windows Mail Reinstate on Windows 7. It works nicely, as advertised. We all installed it before Windows 7 SP1 was released.However, it appears to interfere with the Service Pack 1 install process. Apparently, the msoe.dll file doesn't pass the System File Checker part of the process, since it's (obviously) not the original. SP1 returns with Error 80004005. I've attempted in several ways to overwrite that msoe.dll with the original, but copies are buried in the Windows\Winsxs folder, making for a difficult fix. Any chance the individuals involved in the original Windows Mail Reinstate could write up an "undo" script? At this time, I have three PCs with this issue, can't run SP1 successfully on any of them. All are Windows 7 Home Premium, x64. Have heard of identical issues with other versions, however.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Windows Mail




Tutorial Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33