How to Enable or Disable Built-in CD and DVD Burning Features in Windows 7 and Windows 8
This will allow you to enable or disable Explorer's built-in CD and DVD burning features for all or specific users in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
If you have installed a third party CD and DVD burning program, then this may be handy disabled.
- Disabling this feature does not prevent users from using third party applications to create, burn to, or modify CDs and DVDs.
- Enabling or Disabling this feature will have no effect on the built-in Windows Disc Image Burning Tool feature.
EXAMPLE: Built-in CD and DVD Burning Features Enabled and Disabled
NOTE: Left screenshots below are enabled, and right screenshots are disabled.
To Enable or Disable Burn to CD/DVD using a REG File
1. To Enable CD and DVD Burning Features for All Users
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.2. To Disable CD and DVD Burning Features for All Users
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.3. Save the .reg file to your desktop.
4. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
5. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK when prompted.
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
7. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply.
To Enable or Disable Burn to CD/DVD in Group Policy
1. Open the all users, specific users or groups, or all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.That's it,
2. In the left pane, click on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Windows Explorer (Windows 7) or File Explorer (Windows 8). (See screenshot below)
3. In the right pane, double click/tap on Remove CD Burning features to edit it. (See screenshot above)
4. To Enable CD and DVD Burning Features
A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, and go to step 6 below. (See screenshot below step 6)5. To Disable CD and DVD Burning Features
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.
A) Select (dot) Enabled, and go to step 6 below. (See screenshot below step 6)6. Click/tap on OK. (See screenshot below)
7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.