Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

25 May 2010   #130
ZaLiTH

Win7 Ult x64 / Win8.1 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 14.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello ZaLiTH, this is the first paragraph in the tutorial; reasons and/or benefits are subjective, at best, so I didn't want to go into that; this is just to show people a way to accomplish this, thanks though.



Quote:
AHCI Advanced Host Controller Interface makes NCQ Native Command Queing along with hot-plugging or hot swapping through SATA Serial-ATA host controllers possible; Vista was the first to offer this feature. The issue with AHCI is it needs to be enabled in the BIOS prior to OS installation; doing so after you have installed the OS will disable the PC. The reason why is Windows disables the AHCI drivers not needed durring installation.
Yeah, I guess that does pretty much cover it hey.. Lol.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2010   #131
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello ZaLiTH, this is the first paragraph in the tutorial; reasons and/or benefits are subjective, at best, so I didn't want to go into that; this is just to show people a way to accomplish this, thanks though.




Quote:
AHCI Advanced Host Controller Interface makes NCQ Native Command Queing along with hot-plugging or hot swapping through SATA Serial-ATA host controllers possible; Vista was the first to offer this feature. The issue with AHCI is it needs to be enabled in the BIOS prior to OS installation; doing so after you have installed the OS will disable the PC. The reason why is Windows disables the AHCI drivers not needed durring installation.
Yeah, I guess that does pretty much cover it hey.. Lol.

No probs mate!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #132
matrixgaby

Windows 7
 
 

I have Windows 7 installed in my PC on IDE mode. Now i want to put HDD in AHCI mode. I have 2 HDDs : 1 x Seagate 160 GB SATA NCQ & 1 x 120 GB Maxtor IDE.
I´ve done what it´s written on first page, but after enabling AHCI mode in BIOS, I have a problem. It´s saying something about initialising AHCI mode and list quickly my two HDDs (it happen very fast, so this is what I think is shown). After that it remain stuck at a black screen, where it is only 2 characters : ¨¨j_¨¨.
The motherboard is an AsRock M3A785GMH/128.
Am I doing something wrong?
Please help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #133
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello matrixgaby, welcome to Seven Forums!



Is the OS booting from an SATA or a PATA/IDE HDD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 May 2010   #134
matrixgaby

Windows 7
 
 

The OS is booting from SATA HDD Seagate 160 GB NCQ drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #135
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello matrixgaby.



Did you create a restore point before you started this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #136
matrixgaby

Windows 7
 
 

Yes, I created. But if I switch back to IDE mode in BIOS, Windows is booting correctly.
My question is how to make AHCI mode to work and what ¨¨_j¨¨(what appear on the black screen) means?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #137
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matrixgaby View Post
Yes, I created. But if I switch back to IDE mode in BIOS, Windows is booting correctly.
My question is how to make AHCI mode to work and what ¨¨_j¨¨(what appear on the black screen) means?

I don't know what that may mean, maybe something went wrong the first go round and you can use the restore point to go back before the change and set it back to IDE and in a day or so give it another go, maybe by then someone will shed some light on the issue for you. Just be sure to create restore points before and after and do keep us informed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #138
matrixgaby

Windows 7
 
 

So, what I mean is that I don´t needed the restore point cause when i see that it was stuck at that black screen, I restarted. I entered BIOS, changed HDD mode back to IDE and after restart booted succesfully in Windows.
The problem is that dows not want to boot with AHCI enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #139
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matrixgaby View Post
So, what I mean is that I don´t needed the restore point cause when i see that it was stuck at that black screen, I restarted. I entered BIOS, changed HDD mode back to IDE and after restart booted succesfully in Windows.
The problem is that dows not want to boot with AHCI enabled.


It is possible Windows 7 may not have the correct AHCI drivers for your motherboard and you may have to find and install the correct drivers on your own, that does happen some, have a look around Google to see what you find and post back to keep us informed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista




Tutorial Tools





Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Enable and/or Disable AHCI
I hope I am not duplicating something here. . . . I did look - Honest! I ran into an interesting problem and found an easy fix. First: I wanted to ENABLE AHCI because (supposedly) it improves HDD performance. (It also enables a host of other interesting features.) I discovered the...
Hardware & Devices
How to Enable AHCI - No option in BIOS.
Hey All, I'm purchasing a new SSD next week. I've been reading up on it and it looks like I need to enable AHCI in my BIOS. I can't find any option for AHCI though. I currently have my System setup as RAID0. This was how it was set up in the factory and I haven't changed it. The only...
Hardware & Devices
AHCI : Enable in Windows XP after OS install
For info on other OS's take look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html You can use this method on Legacy BIOS or uEFI/BIOS firmware. For this example I am using a PC with uEFI/BIOS firmware & Secure Boot DISABLED. With a Intel Chip Set. ...
Tutorials
enable AHCI in Windows 7
hi... i found several tutorials to enable the AHCI-driver in win7/vista but the registry keys don't match mine... the tutorial is as following: 1. Exit all Windows-based programs. 2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 3. If you receive the User Account...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7...>SSD....Enable AHCI B4 Installation
Okay I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop. I have an SSD from crucial. I know that I need to enable AHCI BEFORE I start the installation of Windows 7...correct? Now....I saw this Intel website in regards to AHCI. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology — Configure the...
Installation & Setup
AHCI to Enable or Not?
Hi, I am using a HP Pavillion 180t computer with Window 7(SP-1), IE9 RC. 12GB Ram, Quad Core i7, 3.33Ghz. I do not have AHCI enabled based upon the Tutorial to do so. Would enableing AHCI be of value to me? If so how? Any help appreciated.
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App