Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

12 Feb 2010   #40
golem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I only disconnected from the HD and directly to the DVD drive. No wholesale cabling maneuvers.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #41
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by golem View Post
I only disconnected from the HD and directly to the DVD drive. No wholesale cabling maneuvers.
In the BIOS see if the HDD the OS is on is the first in the boot order.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #42
golem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
In the BIOS see if the HDD the OS is on is the first in the boot order.
I read your mind, was just getting ready to add that at the initial moments of boot it does display all drives in the positions at which they have been since setting this comp up a couple weeks ago.

Hold for an edit...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #43
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by golem View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
In the BIOS see if the HDD the OS is on is the first in the boot order.
I read your mind, was just getting ready to add that at the initial moments of boot it does display all drives in the positions at which they have been since setting this comp up a couple weeks ago.

Hold for an edit...

Check it first hand; I'm running out of suggestions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Feb 2010   #44
golem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Happily I can say I am now typing this from the computer we "were" working on. Unfortunately your "So others (and I) can learn..." in your sig will not benefit. I have no Idea what I did to get her back from the dead. All I did do was delve back into BIOS, open and view all the pertinent parameters (no changes made), close and save. Upon the next reboot it opened smoothly all the way to Windows 7. I took a moment to revert back to my restore point and then physically checked the reg was back to normal (which it is) so for now all is well. Think I'll just skip AHCI for now.

The thing I really wanted to check was hard disk boot priority in BIOS (which was OK) because the boot screen has always displayed my primary OS drive as being attached to IDE Channel 2 Master. On IDE Channels 0 & 1 (master and slave) only the Slave 0 is being utilized and this is by a PATA drive. Not sure it really matters but that is for a different thread anyhow.

Thanks again for your support!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #45
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by golem View Post
Happily I can say I am now typing this from the computer we "were" working on. Unfortunately your "So others (and I) can learn..." in your sig will not benefit. I have no Idea what I did to get her back from the dead. All I did do was delve back into BIOS, open and view all the pertinent parameters (no changes made), close and save. Upon the next reboot it opened smoothly all the way to Windows 7. I took a moment to revert back to my restore point and then physically checked the reg was back to normal (which it is) so for now all is well. Think I'll just skip AHCI for now.

The thing I really wanted to check was the boot order in BIOS (which was OK) because the boot screen has always displayed my primary OS drive as being attached to IDE Channel 2 Master. On IDE Channels 0 & 1 (master and slave) only the Slave 0 is being utilized and this is by a PATA drive. Not sure it really matters but that is for a different thread anyhow.

Thanks again for your support!
Are you saying that your HDDs are not SATA?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #46
golem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Are you saying that your HDDs are not SATA?
HDD's - 2 are SATA one is PATA. The PATA is temporary in that I'm still organizing over to the SATA data storage drive. Optical is USB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #47
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by golem View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Are you saying that your HDDs are not SATA?
HDD's - 2 are SATA one is PATA. The PATA is temporary in that I'm still organizing over to the SATA data storage drive. Optical is USB.

OK, I thought that may have something to do with the probs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #48
dsosb

Windows 7
 
 
Clarification

How do I know if this worked? I didn't get the window showing the drivers updating. I only got the message that driver updating was complete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #49
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsosb View Post
How do I know if this worked? I didn't get the window showing the drivers updating. I only got the message that driver updating was complete.
Hello dsosb, welcome to Seven Forums!


If you got this it is complete.

Name:  Restart.PNG
Views: 1559
Size:  54.0 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista




Tutorial Tools





Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Enable and/or Disable AHCI
I hope I am not duplicating something here. . . . I did look - Honest! I ran into an interesting problem and found an easy fix. First: I wanted to ENABLE AHCI because (supposedly) it improves HDD performance. (It also enables a host of other interesting features.) I discovered the...
Hardware & Devices
How to Enable AHCI - No option in BIOS.
Hey All, I'm purchasing a new SSD next week. I've been reading up on it and it looks like I need to enable AHCI in my BIOS. I can't find any option for AHCI though. I currently have my System setup as RAID0. This was how it was set up in the factory and I haven't changed it. The only...
Hardware & Devices
AHCI : Enable in Windows XP after OS install
For info on other OS's take look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html You can use this method on Legacy BIOS or uEFI/BIOS firmware. For this example I am using a PC with uEFI/BIOS firmware & Secure Boot DISABLED. With a Intel Chip Set. ...
Tutorials
enable AHCI in Windows 7
hi... i found several tutorials to enable the AHCI-driver in win7/vista but the registry keys don't match mine... the tutorial is as following: 1. Exit all Windows-based programs. 2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 3. If you receive the User Account...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7...>SSD....Enable AHCI B4 Installation
Okay I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop. I have an SSD from crucial. I know that I need to enable AHCI BEFORE I start the installation of Windows 7...correct? Now....I saw this Intel website in regards to AHCI. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology — Configure the...
Installation & Setup
AHCI to Enable or Not?
Hi, I am using a HP Pavillion 180t computer with Window 7(SP-1), IE9 RC. 12GB Ram, Quad Core i7, 3.33Ghz. I do not have AHCI enabled based upon the Tutorial to do so. Would enableing AHCI be of value to me? If so how? Any help appreciated.
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App