Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Gadgets - Customize

15 Feb 2010   #9
scoopeeedoo

 
 
Gadgets - Customize

How to Customize Existing Windows 7 Gadgets

The question having been asked in the "post your seven desktop" thread, i thought it was maybe interesting to deepen that with a new and clear post...

So, the subject...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Feb 2010   #10
Soul02

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scoopeeedoo View Post
Soul02 :
I guess you did select well ALL the files before re-packing...?
Ok... ive found what you mean, done what you said, and still its not working below is how i did it, just like you said! from pic 1 to 5.

Pic1: the folder itself.
Pic2: selected all files in the folder and went to folder options.
Pic3: i beleive the one you mean is the one which ive put the arrow there?
Pic4: renamed the file to .gadget in 7zip.
Pic5: pressed ok! it did it... but then pressed install and i get: 'this is not a valid gadget package'

Now in Pic3: do i need to restart computer for this? i did uncheck the 1st box at the top like you have done, though that didnt work i tried the other 2 below it also! still nothing ...

Sorry for all this trouble! lol



Attached Thumbnails
Gadgets - Customize-help2.jpg  
Attached Images
    
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Feb 2010   #11
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Soul02 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scoopeeedoo View Post
Soul02 :
I guess you did select well ALL the files before re-packing...?
Ok... ive found what you mean, done what you said, and still its not working below is how i did it, just like you said! from pic 1 to 5.

Pic1: the folder itself.
Pic2: selected all files in the folder and went to folder options.
Pic3: i beleive the one you mean is the one which ive put the arrow there?
Pic4: renamed the file to .gadget in 7zip.
Pic5: pressed ok! it did it... but then pressed install and i get: 'this is not a valid gadget package'

Now in Pic3: do i need to restart computer for this? i did uncheck the 1st box at the top like you have done, though that didnt work i tried the other 2 below it also! still nothing ...

Sorry for all this trouble! lol
Really no problem!!! We are gonna fix that !!! Sorry for slow response, i just came back from work and i think we've just missed ourselves for a couple of minutes...

So, first, there's no need to select anything to go in the "folder options". They are general options, which means that if you do something in it, it's for all the files in your computer. Just open your explorer, go to the options and uncheck the options i've marked in the attached image below (i capt' your own image...), then you can leave the "folder options", next steps are out of it...

Second : i see that your folder (the one which contains all the files shown in pic 1) is called "MyGadget.gadget"; it must be named only "MyGadget" (see my capt')

Third : in your pic 4, i see a window which has not to be..., all you have to do is select all files of your pic 1, then right clic on one of the files (this will open the contextual menu), then slide your mouse on "7zip", this will open a new menu, then left clic on "add to MyGadget.zip" (i join the corresponding pic of my tuto). This will make a zip archive named "MyGadget.zip" (it will appears just between "gadget.xml" and "settings.html" in the files shown in your pic 1). This the file you have to rename, just select the "zip" and write "gadget"


Don't worry, i stay tuned for more info if needed...!

Good luck...

EDIT : thanks for your observations, they allow me to shape my tuto...


Attached Thumbnails
Gadgets - Customize-14.jpg  
Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #12
Soul02

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
 
 

hehe i done it! thanks so much... the problem i was doing was, i didnt know i had to make it to a .zip file first! THEN rename that one to a .gadget file! haha... ill post on here soon as ive made a new and better one! thanks again man! 5*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #13
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Soul02 View Post
hehe i done it! thanks so much... the problem i was doing was, i didnt know i had to make it to a .zip file first! THEN rename that one to a .gadget file! haha... ill post on here soon as ive made a new and better one! thanks again man! 5*
My pleasure! Glad you solve the prob'... I hope to see that soon!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #14
Soul02

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote:
My pleasure! Glad you solve the prob'... I hope to see that soon!!!
Ok update! here is the first ... im really just testing but im thinking now to add my own touches, like some new fetures etc, ideas please everyone??? lol

Gonna add a few versions too, game, stars, cars, etc ...

Thx again, let me know what you think

Edit: released 2 versions of it ver1 is the all black with some tweaks! and ver2
is the blue tattoo design one with alot of tweaks!

Id love to know how to put in a core temp app on it! and also a backgroud change option if anyone got any ideas on how? thanks...


Attached Images
  
Attached Files
File Type: rar Soul02CompStat.rar (238.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: rar Soul02CompStat2.rar (182.9 KB, 39 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #15
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Soul02 View Post
Quote:
My pleasure! Glad you solve the prob'... I hope to see that soon!!!
Ok update! here is the first ... im really just testing but im thinking now to add my own touches, like some new fetures etc, ideas please everyone??? lol

Gonna add a few versions too, game, stars, cars, etc ...

Thx again, let me know what you think
According to me, really much smarter!
Good work, Soul02!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #16
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Soul02 View Post
Quote:
My pleasure! Glad you solve the prob'... I hope to see that soon!!!
Ok update! here is the first ... im really just testing but im thinking now to add my own touches, like some new fetures etc, ideas please everyone??? lol

Gonna add a few versions too, game, stars, cars, etc ...

Thx again, let me know what you think

Edit: released 2 versions of it ver1 is the all black with some tweaks! and ver2
is the blue tattoo design one with alot of tweaks!

Id love to know how to put in a core temp app on it! and also a backgroud change option if anyone got any ideas on how? thanks...
Please remember what i said in the tuto :
You are not allowed to share customized gadget WITHOUT the owner's permission!!!

Adding more options means that you must be able to make programmation... The subject here is to make a gadget closer to your own style, for your own use, if you need more, than learn how to make a gadget (from a to z) by yourself...
Maybe this will help you : create your own windows gadget
As you will can see, this is not a simple job, so, PLEASE, respect the author's work!!!
Generaly, you can find links to the creator in the gadget's options or in the inside files (like a "read me" file, for exemple)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #17
Soul02

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote:
Please remember what i said in the tuto :
You are not allowed to share customized gadget WITHOUT the owner's permission!!!

Adding more options means that you must be able to make programmation... The subject here is to make a gadget closer to your own style, if you need more, than learn how to make a gadget (from a to z) by yourself...
Maybe this will help you : create your own windows gadget
Yep i know what you mean mate, ill not change anything untill ive spoken to the right guy whatever, though ive only changed the style its not the gadget itself!

I have sent an email asking about weather i can change stuff etc and waiting for a reply! ... for now only the style though!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #18
zxcvbasdfg

Windows 7
 
 

Hey sir TS~
What is your theme?
I love the transparency lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #19
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zxcvbasdfg View Post
Hey sir TS~
What is your theme?
I love the transparency lol
Hi!
If you're talkin' of the theme in the tuto, it is "Meridian" for Windowblinds7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Gadgets - Customize





Tutorial Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33