Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
How to Create and Use a Windows 7 Password Reset Disk
If you forget your Windows password, you can use this password reset disk to create a new password. It is recommend that you create a password reset disk when you create your password, so you don't lose access to your files and information.
A password reset disk can only be created for local user accounts. If your computer is on a domain, a system administrator can reset your domain password.
You must have either a USB flash drive or a Floppy drive; it will not be created on a CD or DVD.
The disk can only be created from within Windows.
The disk will only work for the OS that it was created in.
This tutorial will also work for Windows Vista.
Care must be taken where the disk is stored; anyone that can gain access to the disk can reset the password.
Let's get started!
Create the Password Reset Disk
1) In the Windows start menu search box type "pas" (without the quotes) select the "Create a password ..." link, there will be no UAC prompt but it will ask you for the "Current User Account Password" enter it and click next.
2) Insert the desired media you intend to use, then select the drive the disk is in, then in the wizard click next, then next again when it completes.
3) Then click Finish to close the wizard.
How to Use the Password Reset Disk
1) At the Windows logon screen, you'll get the "Reset Password" option when you enter an incorrect password, or if you just want to change the password, do as I did and type 1 in the password box and hit enter, then select "Reset Password".
2) In the wizard that opens click next, you'll then be prompted to create a new password then a conformation, then click next.
3) When it's done click finish to close the wizard.
You have now reset the password.
System Manufacturer/Model Number Self Build 64bit OS Vista Ult64, Win7600 CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz 64bit OS Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi @p 64 bit OS Memory 4096 MB DDR3-SDRAM Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 3870 Series x2 Crossfired Sound Card Realtek on board Monitor(s) Displays Samsung SyncMaster - 23 inches Screen Resolution 1680x1050 pixels at 60 Hz in True Colors
Keyboard Wireless Mouse Wireless PSU Cooler Master 1000w Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. Cooling Fans and fresh air, Hard Drives Hitachi (250 GB)/Samsung 750 GB. /Barracuda 160 GB.
My Book 1 TB external.. Internet Speed Never fast enough Other Info I use a Magnum.
System Manufacturer/Model Number Home built OS Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Motherboard ASUS P4P800-VM Motherboard Chipset: Intel 865G + ICH5 Memory 2.50 GB RAM Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Sound Card SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (Chip) Monitor(s) Displays ViewSonic VX 1962 wm Screen Resolution 1680 X 1050
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 v10 USB Mouse Logitec optic USB Cooling Fan based Hard Drives Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80 GB
ST380215A ATA Device 18.6 GB
Western Digital "My Book" external hard drive 750 GB Internet Speed 3.01 Mb/s download 0.64 Mb/s upload