Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

16 Jul 2012   #510
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Answers inline.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
1. Do I still have 4 system images on this drive? If so how can I tell what dates and times for them? and if I rename WindowsImageBackup folder as described, will it keep them all saved?
You will be able to tell by opening the WindowsImageBackup folder and the "computer name" folder in it. The Backup...... folder contains the system image with the date and time created in the name of the Backup...... folder. If you only have one Backup folder, then you only have one image. See the blue NOTE box at the top of the tutorial for more on this though.

If you rename the WindowsImageBackup folder, then a new one will be created the next time you create a system image. This way you will be able to keep all images created in both or more folders. The only catch is that you must rename the folder that you want to restore a image from back to the default WindowsImageBackup name after renaming the current one first before windows will see the image.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
2. Concerning the backup of my data. There seems to be one back up set folder which has two back up files folders. I thought
the second file folder was a differential one, but the earlier folder
has 10059 files 552GB, while the later has 10089 files 553GB. Could it be that because I changed permissions that they were saved twice?
The incremental Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folders in the Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains ZIP folders each under 200MB in size. These ZIP folders contain the actual backed up files for the date and time of the Backup Set folder. If a file that you included to be backed up is larger 200MB then it will be automatically broken up into several pieces each under 200 MB to fit into the multiple ZIP files in the Backup Files folders. This would be why you had more than one Backup Set folder in the Backup Files folder.

If you like, the tutorial below for how to manually extract files from a Windows Backup can help show you more about the structure of Windows Backups.

Backup - Manually Extract Files from in Vista & Windows 7
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
3. Vaguely related to this concerns how file permissions get changed. I have a user account for using most of the time and an admin account for installation and backup tasks. Often when running with the admin acct, to open a file I get a pop up saying I do not have permission (even though the files and folder have full control for administrators), and the option given is to get perminent control. When I do this then my admin account is added to the permissions. Could this be what is causing them to be copied again by the backup?
Permissions is really a different subject that should be discussed in a new thread, but it depends on what files/folders you are referring to and where they are located. Permissions are something that should be handled with care so as not to deny yourself access by mistake.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #511
baritompa

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote:
You will be able to tell by opening the WindowsImageBackup folder and the "computer name" folder in it. The Backup...... folder contains the system image with the date and time created in the name of the Backup...... folder. If you only have one Backup folder, then you only have one image.
Hi Shawn, It appears I have only one backup. I cannot understand why only the most recent is there. I'm certain
I used the option to save as many as possible. The attached screen shot is a puzzle for me. Backup is sceduled, however the options for space management are
only keep the current or delete them all????

Quote:
The incremental Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folders in the Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains ZIP folders each under 200MB in size.


I understand the above
Quote:
This would be why you had more than one Backup Set folder in the Backup Files folder.
However I have 2 Backup Files folders in the Backup Set Folder. I used the tutorial you suggested to look at them, and I can't see that the second set is incremental. The second set is slightly larger than the first (550 GB). I've copied files from both sets and they seem identical (however I can't see if the permission are different, and if
I copy them to my desktop, they inherit the same permissions). What is preventing an incremental backup?

The owner of most of these files is strange (see attached). Is this part of the problem?

Thanks.







Attached Thumbnails
-backupscheduledbutmanagespaceincorrect.png   -permissionsondfolders.png  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #512
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Answers inline.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
Hi Shawn, It appears I have only one backup. I cannot understand why only the most recent is there. I'm certain I used the option to save as many as possible. The attached screen shot is a puzzle for me. Backup is sceduled, however the options for space management are only keep the current or delete them all????
A Windows Backup (files only) is different than a System Image (HDD backup). When you include creating a system image while doing a Windows backup instead of creating a separate system image, then you will always only have one system image since Windowws Backup will delete the old image when creating a new one with it's scheduled backup.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
However I have 2 Backup Files folders in the Backup Set Folder. I used the tutorial you suggested to look at them, and I can't see that the second set is incremental. The second set is slightly larger than the first (550 GB). I've copied files from both sets and they seem identical (however I can't see if the permission are different, and if
I copy them to my desktop, they inherit the same permissions). What is preventing an incremental backup?
Each Backup Set folder is a separate "new" backup in the (computer-name) folder. Each Backup Files folder is an incremental backup in the specific Backup Set folder.

Do not worry about permissions. By default, everytime you create a new backup, the permissions get changed back to where you will have to click on "Continue" to open the (computer-name) folder again.

If you like, delete all backups, and reset Windows Backup to see how it works for you afterwards.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
The owner of most of these files is strange (see attached). Is this part of the problem?
The long S-1-5.... number is a SID number that is unique to each user account you have on your computer. When you see the SID number instead of a user name, then it usually means that the account the the SID number belonged to was either deleted or disabled. Is that the case here?

Either way, this has no bearing on the backups being created. I would strongly recommend to not be playing with the ownership and permissions of these backups, or you could render them unable to be used to restore with in Windows Recovery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #513
baritompa

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Questions inline.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post

A Windows Backup (files only) is different than a System Image (HDD backup). When you include creating a system image while doing a Windows backup instead of creating a separate system image, then you will always only have one system image since Windowws Backup will delete the old image when creating a new one with it's scheduled backup.
Hi Shawn. Thanks for your patience. I think I'm beginning to understand the (imho irrational) behaviour of Windows Backup and Systems Imaging.

Can you please answer true or false to these questions:
  1. Running Windows Backup with the include system image box ticked will DELETE the previously created WindowsImageBackup.
  2. Running Windows Backup by selecting 'backup now' will run exactly the same as letting it run on schedule.
  3. The first Backup Files folder in a specific Backup Set folder will contain all the files being backup at that date.
  4. Subsequent Backup Files folders in the specific Backup Set folder will contain only files that differ in some way (content OR attributes).
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post

Do not worry about permissions. By default, everytime you create a new backup, the permissions get changed back to where you will have to click on "Continue" to open the (computer-name) folder again.

I would strongly recommend to not be playing with the ownership and permissions of these backups, or you could render them unable to be used to restore with in Windows Recovery.

If you like, delete all backups, and reset Windows Backup to see how it works for you afterwards.
Thanks Shawn, I will look at the reset option. Before I got the new USB drive, I had done a backup onto my D: drive, which I just deleted after I did the later backups to the new drive. So maybe this is the source of confusion.

I've not been thinking about screwing around with the permissions on the backup files, but I have changed permissions in the D: drive (the one containing the data to be backed up), as I have some folders there that are private to me, and family information that I don't want a guest account to access.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
The long S-1-5.... number is a SID number that is unique to each user account you have on your computer. When you see the SID number instead of a user name, then it usually means that the account the the SID number belonged to was either deleted or disabled. Is that the case here? Either way, this has no bearing on the backups being created.
All of the files on the D: drive came from my xp machine (which is about to die, and why I got this new machine). Some I copied via a network drive, others via a USB drive.
I couldn't get Windows "Easy" Transfer to work!

Would it hurt for me to take ownership of all my files on the D: drive? They are all my files and I owned them on my xp machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jul 2012   #514
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Before Brink comes back with his advice - I would not take ownership of system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #515
baritompa

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Before Brink comes back with his advice - I would not take ownership of system files.
Thanks mjf, your warning is heeded. My system is installed on a SSD C: drive and I moved the various folders like My Documents etc (using the move option on the location tab) for each user onto the D: drive. I copied all my data from my xp machine to D:. I note that the owner of D: is SYSTEM. Are you saying there may be other (hidden) system files on this D: drive? I just find it annoying that S-1-5-21-779755348-601281333-1783137607-1000 is the owner of all my files (but I could live with it ).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #516
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
Running Windows Backup with the include system image box ticked will DELETE the previously created WindowsImageBackup.
Correct. It will delete the previously created image that was created in Windows Backup.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
Running Windows Backup by selecting 'backup now' will run exactly the same as letting it run on schedule.
Correct. It'll run the same incremental backup that you had setup for the schedule.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
The first Backup Files folder in a specific Backup Set folder will contain all the files being backup at that date.

Subsequent Backup Files folders in the specific Backup Set folder will contain only files that differ in some way (content OR attributes).
When you a backup is created by either the schedule or you clicking on "Backup now", these will be saved incrementally as separate Backup Files folders in the same Backup Set folder. Only when you create a new separate backup will it create a new Backup Set folder.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
All of the files on the D: drive came from my xp machine (which is about to die, and why I got this new machine). Some I copied via a network drive, others via a USB drive.
I couldn't get Windows "Easy" Transfer to work!

Would it hurt for me to take ownership of all my files on the D: drive? They are all my files and I owned them on my xp machine.
If you have access to them, then I wouldn't worry about taking ownership of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2012   #517
baritompa

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Hi Shawn, Thanks for all your help. I reset windows backup and did it again to a dedicated 1T partition. I'll wait to see what happens when it does the scheduled back up in a week. The compression is not great, all my data (587 GB) is on my D: drive. The report after the backup gave 560GB for the data files. After reading the tutorial and other information about windows backup, I'm not sure it's worth it. Simply keeping a clone of my D: drive may make more sense for me. Do you have experience with FreeFileSync?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2012   #518
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You're most welcome. I prefer having a system image myself as well.

Sorry, but no I haven't used FreeFileSync.

Please let us know how it went.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2012   #519
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baritompa View Post
Hi Shawn, Thanks for all your help. I reset windows backup and did it again to a dedicated 1T partition. I'll wait to see what happens when it does the scheduled back up in a week. The compression is not great, all my data (587 GB) is on my D: drive. The report after the backup gave 560GB for the data files. After reading the tutorial and other information about windows backup, I'm not sure it's worth it. Simply keeping a clone of my D: drive may make more sense for me. Do you have experience with FreeFileSync?
I use FreeFileSync. I find it great for File and Folder backups. I have it scheduled to run daily on my data. I made a video on how to use it if you are interested. Backup With FreeFileSync - YouTube
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup




Tutorial Tools




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
How does one create a custom backup image?
Hello everyone. Recently I browsed my system backup by mounting the VHD in the disk management snap-in. The image had my entire World of Warcraft installation and a ton of other non essential files. I wound up just deleting those files from the backup and thought I would clean up the missing links...
Backup and Restore
Q: about complete computer backup!
Hello, i wanted to fully backup my windows 7, i well follow this tutorial:- http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html but the thing is ( after the backup ); 1. if my windows had major problem & i format it. 2. got a new SSD & installed clean...
Backup and Restore
Question on Complete PC Backup Image Folder
I don't know if this has been asked already and sorry if it has. Is there a way to save both Vista and Win7 complete system image on the same partition? If possible rename the folders at least (I tried this but didn't work)? I have a limited space in my hard drive and allocated only one...
Backup and Restore
unable to create a system image or backup
Have tried multiple times and scoured the internet. I am trying to crate a system image. The space required is about 60gb and teh drive I am saving to is 200gb. I keep getting this message attached. Any ideas Cheers Kwack
Backup and Restore
Cannot create a system image or backup computer
Hi, I have tried every trick in the book to creat a system image whether directly or via backup computer. I am receiving those error messages; 0x8078011D when I try to create a System Image from the left bar and; 0x81000032 when using backup computer. Please help
Backup and Restore
Do I need to create System Image after each backup?
When I use Win 7 backup, it gives me the option each time I create a backup to create a system image. I created a system image on a CD a couple of days ago. Why does it ask me if I want to create another each time I do the backup? Is it talking about creating one on my hard drive, not a CD? ...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App