Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Recovery Options

28 Dec 2014   #100
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Rookie question. "WARNING: Check to make sure that you set the BIOS to have the CD or DVD drive listed first in the boot order." How do I check that, Shawn?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #101
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Rookie question. "WARNING: Check to make sure that you set the BIOS to have the CD or DVD drive listed first in the boot order." How do I check that, Shawn?
No worries. For HP computers, you should be able to press F10 at boot to enter BIOS to check in the "Boot" tab of BIOS for this setting. The link below at HP can give you more information on how to boot to BIOS.

BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options | HP Support
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #102
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Correct as always! If the F10 key doesn't work tap the F1 key repeatedly according to the support page there. Some bioses however may use the F11 if not F2 or ESC keys instead. The Pavillions for the most part will use either F10 or F11 however since the older HP models would be more likely to have used the F2 or ESC keys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #103
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Rookie question. "WARNING: Check to make sure that you set the BIOS to have the CD or DVD drive listed first in the boot order." How do I check that, Shawn?
No worries. For HP computers, you should be able to press F10 at boot to enter BIOS to check in the "Boot" tab of BIOS for this setting. The link below at HP can give you more information on how to boot to BIOS.

BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options | HP Support
Thanks! No wonder I've had no luck with F8!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2014   #104
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Correct as always! If the F10 key doesn't work tap the F1 key repeatedly according to the support page there. Some bioses however may use the F11 if not F2 or ESC keys instead. The Pavillions for the most part will use either F10 or F11 however since the older HP models would be more likely to have used the F2 or ESC keys.
Sheesh! You'd think they could make up their minds!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #105
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Rookie question. "WARNING: Check to make sure that you set the BIOS to have the CD or DVD drive listed first in the boot order." How do I check that, Shawn?
No worries. For HP computers, you should be able to press F10 at boot to enter BIOS to check in the "Boot" tab of BIOS for this setting. The link below at HP can give you more information on how to boot to BIOS.

BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options | HP Support
Thanks! No wonder I've had no luck with F8!
You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2014   #106
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Correct as always! If the F10 key doesn't work tap the F1 key repeatedly according to the support page there. Some bioses however may use the F11 if not F2 or ESC keys instead. The Pavillions for the most part will use either F10 or F11 however since the older HP models would be more likely to have used the F2 or ESC keys.
Sheesh! You'd think they could make up their minds!
As Shawn can easily explain as well HP doesn't necessarily manufacture their own boards often at times (often using Asus boards) where each board manufacturer may be using Award-Phoenix, SIS, AMI, or some other bios programming.

With each OEM there is often a different key assigned as well as when shopping for a new MB to put into a custom case. With Asus boards those will generally see the F8 key while Gigabyte sees the F12 instead. Yet both may see Award used as the bios program.

The way pc technologies saw rapid changes over the last 15yrs. alone the bioses have also been through a number as well. How about Ctrl-Alt-Esc as the key combination?! Each OEM simply want their own way and no one ever standardized one specific key or combination in all these years. Then you start adding in laptops, tablets, tablet pcs, and other hand helds and the list goes on and on and...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2015   #107
Dustgb66

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Choose a recovery tool

Under 'Choose a recovery tool' The "Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

Please help?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2015   #108
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Dustgb66, and welcome to Seven Forums.

What recovery option were you wanting to do, and are you still able to perform it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2015   #109
Dustgb66

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
System Repair

For some reason I chose 'Shutdown' instead of 'Restart' after a system repair and it worked?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 System Recovery Options




Tutorial Tools




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Cannot Boot, OS Not in System Recovery Options
I'd recently done a system update and believe that some of it didn't install properly. After perusing and attempting various solutions, I think there are some problems with my boot manager (and maybe some other disk issues). When I try to repair using the Windows 7 disk, my System Recovery Options...
General Discussion
Operating system does not show up in System Recovery Options
Hey guys. I have an Acer laptop with Windows 7 that has crashed and will not boot. I do not have a Windows 7 CD nor do I have the money to pay for one. When my computer boots up, it says "BOOTMGR IS MISSING" and I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it loops back around to that page. I created a System...
General Discussion
System Recovery Options does not fixit!
Hi. I'm running Win 7x64 Pro. This installation has been going 'downhill' for the past 7 days. I managed a backup yesterday to a cloud service*, but feel I've that Ive not finished! I know all the data has been preserved on the internal drive. I'd managed to boot up yesterday eventually but...
General Discussion
OS not recognized in System Recovery Options
I have one mess on my hands. Some history, I had first installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on a unpartitioned 640GB drive. I then partitioned my other 320GB drive to install two things: A FAT32 30GB partition of Windows XP Home A NTFS 160GB partition of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 The...
Backup and Restore
System recovery options screen stals, cant select options
Was trying to repair a boot mngr error but as the title explains, I cant select any options in system revovery. It just shows spinning blue working icon. Harddrive working light flashes for a moment then stops, never to flash again. I've tried this with two different recovery disk, one being a W7...
BSOD Help and Support
System recovery options not appearing
this is directly related to another post from earlier today but is is a sifferent question. i hope that this new thread is appropriate. i have a compaq and it runs with Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). when you start the computer and go to Startup Menu one of the options is f11-system...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App