How to Restore "Windows Energy Screen Saver" Back in Windows 7 and Windows 8
This tutorial will show you how to restore the Windows Energy screen saver back into Windows 7 and Windows 8.
You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
EXAMPLE: Windows Energy screen saver
EXAMPLE: Screen Saver Settings NOTE:If restored, the Windows Energy screen saver will be added back to the Screen Saver Settings screen to be available to select as Branded.
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the Windows_Energy.zip file below.
2.Save the .zip file to the desktop.
3. Open the .zip file and extract (drag and drop) the ssBranded.scr file to your desktop.
4. Right click or press and hold on the ssBranded.scr file and click/tap on Properties, General tab, and the Unblock button. (See screenshot below) NOTE:If the unblock button is not there, then the ssBranded.scr file is already set to be unblocked. Continue on to step 5.
5. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and copy and paste the ssBranded.scr file here. (See screenshot below)
6. Click/tap on Continue and Yes to approve copying the ssBranded.scr file.
System Manufacturer/Model Number Dell Studio XPS 9100 OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 CPU Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz/8MB Motherboard Intel X58 Memory 12GB DDR3 Graphics Card Radeon 5670 1GB Sound Card ESI Juli@ Monitor(s) Displays 23" LED Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080
Keyboard Multimedia Mouse Microsoft precision optical PSU Base Case Base Cooling Base Hard Drives Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB x 2
WD Scorpio Black 750GB (laptop) Internet Speed 10Mbits Other Info Mobile: Dell XPS 15 L502X
Intel i7 2630QM, 8 gigs DDR3 RAM, 750 gigs WD Scorpio Black (7,200 rpm SATA3), Nvidia GT525M 1 gig, 15.6" B+RGLED 1920 x1080, Win7 HP
Thanks for the info. I've downloaded the screensaver for my computer, but I have dual monitors. The screensaver is only working on my "main" monitor. What do I do to get it to work on or across both monitors?
(Sorry, but I guess I'm not terribly computer savvy.)
The Windows Energy screen saver only plays across one monitor for me as well while all the other default screen savers play across both monitors. Not sure why, but I guess this may be a reason why it was not included by default in Windows 7.
The issue im having is that i don't know how to paste ssBranded.scr file to system 32. I can create a new folder with ssBranded.scr in it but that doesn't work. I just cant figure out how to paste it to the system32 file.