Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Imaging with free Macrium


25 Mar 2010   #119
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 
Imaging with free Macrium

information   Information

This tutorial shows...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #120
JerometheGiraff

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I've decided after watching the tutorial video that I will be also using Macrium as my backup tool of choice over Norton. The primary reason, Norton back-up which I have bundled with Norton 360 does not support OS backups Somewhere within this thread I read someone wanted to restore a backup from their desktop to their laptop, obviously one has different hardware more importantly different motherboard. I didn't get the answer whether it worked or not so that is my first question, can you restore a backup from one computer to another with completely different hardware specifically different motherboard which always requires from my knowledge, a fresh install of Windows ?

In post #12 WHS brought this up:
Quote:
Please note that I added a warning to this tutorial ( Imaging with free Macrium ) because it is a trap that one can easily fall into. And since it is a relatively recent phenomenon, the mistake is easy to make.
What mistake is that?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #121
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
can you restore a backup from one computer to another with completely different hardware specifically different motherboard which always requires from my knowledge, a fresh install of Windows ?

In post #12 WHS brought this up:
Quote:
Please note that I added a warning to this tutorial ( Imaging with free Macrium ) because it is a trap that one can easily fall into. And since it is a relatively recent phenomenon, the mistake is easy to make.
What mistake is that?
You can't make an image of computer A and restore it to computer B and expect it to work. I'm not even sure the software would let you proceed in all cases.

The mistake would be to ignore the warning WHS refers to. IE, if you have the 100 or 200 mb partition, "you must not mark the C partition as active nor must you check restore MBR during the restore phase. Rather mark the partition as primary and answer the MBR question with do not replace. Else, your restored system will become unbootable.
The same applies to a double booted system where the MBR resides on a different partition."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #122
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote:
You can't make an image of computer A and restore it to computer B and expect it to work. I'm not even sure the software would let you proceed in all cases.
Actually, you can do this with Acronis True Image Home, using the Universal Restore function ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #123
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You can do it with the paid version of Macrium, too. Like Acronis - it as an extra you have to pay for separately.

You can also do it with the paid versions of Paragon imaging programs - they were the first to develop Adaptive Restore - the others followed suit, of course.With Paragon, you don't need to pay extra - it is included.

There are no free apps. with that function.

You might be able to do it without any adaptive software - Vista and 7 are quite resilient - if the hardware is not too different - it may work.

You will still need a windows license that allows you to transfer to a different machine, of course.

Hiya Tews - good to hear from you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Apr 2011   #124
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
The mistake would be to ignore the warning WHS refers to. IE, if you have the 100 or 200 mb partition, "you must not mark the C partition as active nor must you check restore MBR during the restore phase. Rather mark the partition as primary and answer the MBR question with do not replace. Else, your restored system will become unbootable.
The same applies to a double booted system where the MBR resides on a different partition."
The part of this which is correct is that you do not mark your C: (OS, Boot) partition active if you have a 100+MB system reserved partition. If system reserved does not exist then C: is the system partition and it is marked active.

The MBR has has resided on the first 512 physical bytes of the boot device (HDD) for the last 25 years (since the IBM PC). It does not and has never resided on a partition. The boot manager in conjunction with the BCD facilitate multibooting.

Here is a correct explanation of the booting process. Understand this and you'll know what boxes to tick in Macrium.
Post#24
reflect updates
Macrium stores a copy of the MBR that existed at the time a partition was imaged along with every imaged partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #125
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
@mjf, just for your info, I made many real system recoveries too - not just the little class excercises.
LOL, I knew you'd bite.

Joking aside I do take my comments seriously. 99%+ of people (a guess) who use Windows for work and play don't visit these sort of forums and before Windows 7 they wouldn't know what an image was it it bit them.
So big tick for MS for including it - just make it more robust.
I can only agree with you. In my computer club we have 700 members of which I would guess 650 have no clue about all this stuff we are discussing. The other day we had a lady who was afraid to unpack her brand new laptop and brought it to the club so that someone would take it out of the box for her. I could tell you endless stories.

Nevertheless, the folks on the forum are knowledgeable (with very few exceptions). And amongst "us" I think we should expect better than what MS fabricated. The acid test is when you have to recover and I don't want to know how often that does not work - remember all the failures of System Restore from a shadow.

But MS does things their own way. I give you another example. They sell (for $199) this really very good screen capture program ( MS Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture). The output file of it is .xesc that only (and only) WMP can play. Even WLMM cannnot deal with it even though I have the .xesc codec on the system. So you have to send it thru their encoder to get either .wmv or .mp4. The encoder takes 2 to 5 minutes (2 passes) for every recorded minute. My i7 works at 70% with all 4 real plus 4 hyper cores. And to put insult to injury, when you want to process the output with WLMM, it reencodes the file again because it deems that the quality is not sufficient. - Go figure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #126
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I've decided after watching the tutorial video that I will be also using Macrium as my backup tool of choice over Norton. The primary reason, Norton back-up which I have bundled with Norton 360 does not support OS backups Somewhere within this thread I read someone wanted to restore a backup from their desktop to their laptop, obviously one has different hardware more importantly different motherboard. I didn't get the answer whether it worked or not so that is my first question, can you restore a backup from one computer to another with completely different hardware specifically different motherboard which always requires from my knowledge, a fresh install of Windows ?

In post #12 WHS brought this up:
Quote:
Please note that I added a warning to this tutorial ( Imaging with free Macrium ) because it is a trap that one can easily fall into. And since it is a relatively recent phenomenon, the mistake is easy to make.
What mistake is that?
1. My guess is that chances of successfully dumping an image on another system are less than 1%. Apart from the licensing problem because of another mobo, most of the hardware drivers in the image can probably not handle the new system.

2. The warning I refer to is regarding the implications of the 100MB active partition that was new with Windows7. This is no showstopper as it really needs to be imaged only once (for the rare case that the physical drive dies) and never needs to be restored. The situation changes only if you decide to add double booting because that changes the bootmgr. Then you need a new image of that partition.

Neat trick is to restore the original 100MB partition if you want to get rid of the double boot (and then just delete the partition with the "other" system). This can save you a lot of trouble backing out of a double boot. So always keep the original in a safe place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #127
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
The mistake would be to ignore the warning WHS refers to. IE, if you have the 100 or 200 mb partition, "you must not mark the C partition as active nor must you check restore MBR during the restore phase. Rather mark the partition as primary and answer the MBR question with do not replace. Else, your restored system will become unbootable.
The same applies to a double booted system where the MBR resides on a different partition."
The part of this which is correct is that you do not mark your C: (OS, Boot) partition active if you have a 100+MB system reserved partition. If system reserved does not exist then C: is the system partition and it is marked active.

The MBR has has resided on the first 512 physical bytes of the boot device (HDD) for the last 25 years (since the IBM PC). It does not and has never resided on a partition. The boot manager in conjunction with the BCD facilitate multibooting.

Here is a correct explanation of the booting process. Understand this and you'll know what boxes to tick in Macrium.
Post#24
reflect updates
Macrium stores a copy of the MBR that existed at the time a partition was imaged along with every imaged partition.
That was my bad. Keep mixing up MBR and bootmgr. I corrected it in the tut. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #128
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Nevertheless, the folks on the forum are knowledgeable (with very few exceptions). And amongst "us" I think we should expect better than what MS fabricated. The acid test is when you have to recover and I don't want to know how often that does not work - remember all the failures of System Restore from a shadow.

But MS does things their own way.....
I don't want to divert from the tutorial questions.... but one last comment.

If you look at the viewing stats for this forum, the majority by far are not members but I imagine people searching the internet for an answer to their problem. I'm not trying to preach to people who have already made up their mind.

On your last point. I did some business studies some years back and large organisations can often find it difficult to innovate and integrate. The smaller focused and nimble companies can often run rings around them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #129
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
On your last point. I did some business studies some years back and large organisations can often find it difficult to innovate and integrate. The smaller focused and nimble companies can often run rings around them.
Having worked for 35 years for one of those mega companies, I can confirm that. A very large portion of energy is lost in in-fights between the different groups. We had over 30 international development labs (plus many national), some as many as 3000+ people, and usually at least 2 labs if not more worked on the same problem. I think it was intentional to stimulate competition, but an awful lot of time was lost in defending each project - after all it was about funding. At one time I managed a relatively small (software) lab of 800 people. I had to find $100 Million each year to feed everybody. Tough, tough, because the cash does not come automatically. Each year it is a new game. I suspect that is similar at MS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Imaging with free Macrium




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Imaging with free Macrium
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Best Free Imaging Solution for a business Backup and Restore
Solved Issues imaging windows 7 pro with Macrium Reflect Backup and Restore
Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium Reflect - Cloning and Imaging? Backup and Restore
Ready to start imaging-Data, Macrium, WD My Book - suggestions? Backup and Restore
New free system imaging program Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium Imaging Problem Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33