Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Imaging with free Macrium

14 Nov 2012   #590
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

As WHS said, you are in overkill. If you image the recovery partition you also will have all the factory bloatware, trial software, and general crap, like the HP tools which do what w7 already has tools for.

The simple answer is image the entire drive, it will be highly compressed and may not be more than 100GB. I have an OS image which is 9.34GB, and the OS is a bit over 20GB.

To find info on this forum, click on Search at the top and type in your query in the Standard Search (Google) field.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2012   #591
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by salluhassan View Post
but where are the related threads to whom i was expecting some help to restore images so as to achieve the look of just like factory installed partitions .??
Find the Macrium tutorial by WHS. The MBR stores the partition structure so when you restore a recovery partition you just select the partition it belongs in (generally up the front).
If you can find the money then a little 500GB external HDD would be a good investment. I still think imaging recovery etc is a good idea but you would image your OS partition on a more regular basis.

Once you have recovery images you may want to convert your OS partition to logical and create 2 logical partitions - one OS and one data so that your OS image will always be quite small. This is something to think about down the track.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2012   #592
JerometheGiraff

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I'm going to be using the Free Edition on a Laptop, I'll update the thread since it's geared for the free version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2012   #593
salluhassan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
As WHS said, you are in overkill. If you image the recovery partition you also will have all the factory bloatware, trial software, and general crap, like the HP tools which do what w7 already has tools for.

The simple answer is image the entire drive, it will be highly compressed and may not be more than 100GB. I have an OS image which is 9.34GB, and the OS is a bit over 20GB.

To find info on this forum, click on Search at the top and type in your query in the Standard Search (Google) field.
i know , thats why i tried to clean reinstall OS . but in case if we sell the unit to someONe who is not an IT related person, just he use to recover laptop by pressing f11 and no need for updated drivers , then this scenario will prompt me to do this action . thats it . and hey i didn't know about less image back up size, how can we make image backup of OS up to 9.34 GB or even up to 20 GB or 30GB . because i donot wanna retain myself to keep highly big image size of these OS .

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by salluhassan View Post
but where are the related threads to whom i was expecting some help to restore images so as to achieve the look of just like factory installed partitions .??
Find the Macrium tutorial by WHS. The MBR stores the partition structure so when you restore a recovery partition you just select the partition it belongs in (generally up the front).
If you can find the money then a little 500GB external HDD would be a good investment. I still think imaging recovery etc is a good idea but you would image your OS partition on a more regular basis.

Once you have recovery images you may want to convert your OS partition to logical and create 2 logical partitions - one OS and one data so that your OS image will always be quite small. This is something to think about down the track.
well i am not so prone to start regular basis scheduled back ups of OS , not very much case sensitive .besides i have not so much important data to worry about .and thanks , i will find the threads related to user whs . and if i need help regarding concepts of master boot record MBR related to partition and back up images then i will let you know .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2013   #594
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

I've used Macrium Reflect Free repeatedly when I totally bork my Win7 partition on my dual-boot C: drive and it's a lifesaver.

I did have a question about how many images the Free version can save on another drive or partition. I recently had to use the latest (Dec 20 2012) image I had to restore my hard drive, and everything went well. This evening, I ran the program and saved today's drive image on another internal hard drive as I always do. When I was done, I looked in the folder and that one freshly created image was the only one there. My older three images including the Dec. 20 2012 one were gone. Vanished.

I ran Recuva with Deep Scan on that drive and came up empty. No older images at all. Very strange, so I'm wondering where the setting is in the Free version to keep images longer than 14 days, or to enable me to save more than three images. I could have sworn that at one time I had five, but maybe the latest Macrium update changed the number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #595
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

I've had several images (more than 10) stored on separate HDDs and never lost one.

As far as I know there is no limit on the number of images you can create and store. The previous images must have been removed by something else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #596
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

Well, since I had troubles saving opened spreadsheet files stored on that same hard drive, methinks the drive is starting to crap out. I guess I'd better save what I can and go drive shopping. <sighs>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #597
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Run these tests on your hard drive.

For Seagate:
Download and run Seatools on your HDD.
How to use SeaTools for Windows
Short Drive Self Test and if it passes then the Long Drive Self Test.

For WD:
Run the WD Lifeguard test on your HDD(s). Quick Test first, if it passes then run the Extended Test.
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #598
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

I'm pretty sure that the free version has no limit. The paid versions have a space management feature which allows you to specify how many images to keep in a particular folder or the length of time to keep an image but this can be turned off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #599
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
I've used Macrium Reflect Free repeatedly when I totally bork my Win7 partition on my dual-boot C: drive and it's a lifesaver.

I did have a question about how many images the Free version can save on another drive or partition. I recently had to use the latest (Dec 20 2012) image I had to restore my hard drive, and everything went well. This evening, I ran the program and saved today's drive image on another internal hard drive as I always do. When I was done, I looked in the folder and that one freshly created image was the only one there. My older three images including the Dec. 20 2012 one were gone. Vanished.

I ran Recuva with Deep Scan on that drive and came up empty. No older images at all. Very strange, so I'm wondering where the setting is in the Free version to keep images longer than 14 days, or to enable me to save more than three images. I could have sworn that at one time I had five, but maybe the latest Macrium update changed the number.
There is no such a Macrium restriction. I keep up to 20 images with no problems. I think your drive goes south.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Imaging with free Macrium




Tutorial Tools





Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
New free imaging program
Aomei just released a new freebie. It is intended for users who just want a one click backup/recovery solution. Free for all uses, works on server os too. It is aimed at those who want something very simple. It makes a recovery partition and creates an entire system backup on there. You...
Backup and Restore
Issues imaging windows 7 pro with Macrium Reflect
Hello today i went an image my os windows 7 pro i follow that video on this forums .Than i went to restore tha image to another hdd in a partition .But when i booted from tha partition i got to the part were it said windows is preparing your desktop than i got a message saying that this copy...
Backup and Restore
Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium
G'day, I've setup a dual-boot Windows 7 + LinuxMint13 on a single hard disk. My plan was to use Macrium to image this setup. For the Windows partition, this isn't a problem. For the Linux partition, however, I'm unsure whether a restore of an image of this partition would work, because of my...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect - Cloning and Imaging?
Hi all, couple of days ago I had some difficulties with my SR not working which caused me a huge time waste of re-installation of windows. then I came here and you guys suggested me to use macrium and now I'm very happy with it. at this very moment I should be thankful to WHS, ignatzatsonic,...
Backup and Restore
Ready to start imaging-Data, Macrium, WD My Book - suggestions?
Mostly about backup and imaging, but need to prepare a couple things. I've asked a few questions already and done alot of reading as I am new to this part. But was away and finally ready to start my backup plan:) Any suggestion or changes before I start would be great. My Laptop: Windows 7...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Imaging Problem
Hi, I've encountered an issue using Macrium Reflect FREE x64 Version 4.2 Build 2952, and wonder if anyone can help me understand what is going on. I have used the very same version to image my C: and E: succesfully on a few occasions, using the existing XML defintion files. Now, however,...
Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App