Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP


28 Apr 2009   #1359
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP


...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2011   #1360
distrohopper

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

I tried manually removing a drive letter from C: but that didn't work. Gave me the same error as the other day.

So, I used Paragon following the guide here: Moving Win7 Partition to Another Drive by releasing, on the XP partition, the partition of C: (100MB system partition) and then changing the letter drive of E: (actual XP) to C:. Rebooted into XP and it seems to boot fine till it hangs at the XP splash screen. I just reverted back to C: as the 100MB and E: as XP and XP boots fine again, but with the same drive lettering as before. SYSTEM partition is still labeled as drive C:. Also, drive C: went from having 72MB free space to now only having 32MB of free space. When I opened C:\ now it shows a Program Files folder which shouldn't be there...Do I have any other options before I ask and see if I can reinstall XP, or even better, install XP over everything then install Windows 7?
Attached some images to show what I mean.

Thanks for the help.



Attached Thumbnails
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP-xp_error.png   Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2011   #1361
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

Yes. You can Boot the XP CD to run an XP Repair Install

Once it repairs and hopefully claims C for XP, follow Steps 13-17 in Method Two of this tutorial to add Windows 7 to the Dual Boot.

If this fails, boot the Windows 7 DVD to mark 100mb partition Active: Partition - Mark as Active (Method Two). Then from DVD Repair console run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Windows 7 starts. Install EasyBCD 2.02 to Add XP.

The only other thing that I can think of is to mark XP partition Active before running XP Repair install to try to force repair to write XP System boot files to XP, thereby possibly claiming C. Then boot Windows 7 DVD to mark 100mb Active, Repair Windows 7, add XP using EasyBCD.

If neither of these work you can reinstall using Method One for the easiest Dual Booting method without possible interference by the 100mb SysReserved partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2011   #1362
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You can't successfully change an o/s drive letter after it has been installed.

The paragon app. is for changing it back to it's original installed letter - not for making it something different.

Some kind of reinstall is needed.

Perhaps the repair reinstall Greg mentioned will do it - I am not familiar with XP - so it'a worth a shot.


Might be easier to install the app in question on another machine - track the registry changes - export them and change any letters in the .reg file. as necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2011   #1363
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

IMO, Best to a clean install, with Methed one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jul 2011   #1364
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

The XP drive letter did not slip or change, Windows XP will always take the 'next available' drive letter for its self during install, it's not smart enough to tell the difference like Windows 7 can.

If there is a SysResv partition in the first position on a HDD/SSD XP will always letter it as C:

XP will not allow the SysResv as C: the "System" partition or the XP drive letter to be changed without HAL errors.

If XP is installed to the first partition as C: it must be left as the "Active, System" partition for the Windows 7 install or you will get HAL errors when next booting to XP.

The only way to get XP installed as C: is to install it to the first physical partition on a HDD/SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2011   #1365
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Win XP will always make SysResv as C: When Windows 7 is installed first.

You can remark Win Xp to C: the with Paragon app.

But the biggist is problem is HAL errors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2011   #1366
peterpallesen

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've just wasted 12 hours following this howto. This is an existing Windows 7 PC. Somehow the XP installation corrupted the Windows 7 partition.

Long ago there was a product called Boot Magic. IIRC it would hide inactive partitions so you could have several windows (or other) installations on different partitions and they could all be drive C: and would not conflict with each others. It doesn't seem like it still exists though?

Basically the object of the exercise is to have a separate partition to use for games for my kid in order to not have my "business" partition messed up by the games. I though having the game partition using XP would make it easier, obviously not so.

I see there's a Windows 7/Vista howto but no Windows 7/Windows 7. Maybe there is no difference?

Essentially I would prefer the two partitions would be completely separated from each others. If VM's weren't so poor for gaming I'd install a VM for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2011   #1367
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peterpallesen View Post
I've just wasted 12 hours following this howto. This is an existing Windows 7 PC. Somehow the XP installation corrupted the Windows 7 partition.

Long ago there was a product called Boot Magic. IIRC it would hide inactive partitions so you could have several windows (or other) installations on different partitions and they could all be drive C: and would not conflict with each others. It doesn't seem like it still exists though?

Basically the object of the exercise is to have a separate partition to use for games for my kid in order to not have my "business" partition messed up by the games. I though having the game partition using XP would make it easier, obviously not so.

I see there's a Windows 7/Vista howto but no Windows 7/Windows 7. Maybe there is no difference?

Essentially I would prefer the two partitions would be completely separated from each others. If VM's weren't so poor for gaming I'd install a VM for it.
Did you use Method one or method two?

If you wont Win XP to be C: & Windows 7 to be C:, you need to use Method one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2011   #1368
peterpallesen

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

As this was an existing Windows 7 PC adding an XP partition I naturally used method 2.

Actually I want them both to be drive C as I explained.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2011   #1369
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
The XP drive letter did not slip or change, Windows XP will always take the 'next available' drive letter for its self during install, it's not smart enough to tell the difference like Windows 7 can.

If there is a SysResv partition in the first position on a HDD/SSD XP will always letter it as C:

XP will not allow the SysResv as C: the "System" partition or the XP drive letter to be changed without HAL errors.

If XP is installed to the first partition as C: it must be left as the "Active, System" partition for the Windows 7 install or you will get HAL errors when next booting to XP.

The only way to get XP installed as C: is to install it to the first physical partition on a HDD/SSD.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peterpallesen View Post
As this was an existing Windows 7 PC adding an XP partition I naturally used method 2.

Actually I want them both to be drive C as I explained.
Hello peterpallesen, welcome to Seven Forums!

To be " C: " XP must be the first partition on the HDD or it will be the "next available" drive letter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista Tutorials
Re-installation of Windows 7/64 on SSD from Dual Boot Installation & Setup
Solved unable to dual boot 2 installation of windows 7 ultimate 64 Installation & Setup
dual boot windows 7 and xp installation problem Installation & Setup
Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Dual Boot / Move one installation / BCD? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33