Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

18 Jul 2011   #1370
peterpallesen

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok well it's not really important, what is important is that an XP installation in another partition can wreck havoc in an already existing Win7 partition.

How about installing a second instance of Win7. Will that also mess with the first Win7 install?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #1371
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peterpallesen View Post
Ok well it's not really important, what is important is that an XP installation in another partition can wreck havoc in an already existing Win7 partition.

How about installing a second instance of Win7. Will that also mess with the first Win7 install?

I've never had issues running XP from the same HDD as Windows 7.

Yes you can dual boot two instances of Windows 7, though it is (as well as XP) always better using separate HDDs and the BIOS to manage the dual boot instead of a Windows managed dual boot, using the BIOS one-time boot menu.
  • Asus - F8
  • HP/Compaq - Esc
  • Sony - F2
  • Acer F12
  • Gateway - F10
  • eMachnes - F10
  • Gigabyte F12
  • Toshiba - F12
  • Dell - F12
  • IBM/Lenovo - the blue Thinkvantage button
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #1372
distrohopper

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Thanks for the info guys. I was able to use it to tell the client that it would only work if XP installed first then we install Win7.

Forgive if this seems like a stupid question - GParted didn't see the RAID config so I used an ubuntu livecd to delete the existing partitions. I left the 100MB system partition alone. I am currently installing XP on the single unallocated partition however when it gave the option of where to install to - it saw that 100MB partition as C: and the unallocaated space. I of course chose the unallocated space. It's formating that partition now, but its saying as letter drive E:.

Did I do that right in terms of deleting the existing partitions, leaving the 100MB system alone, and installing XP in the single unallocated space? By the looks of it it will keep that 100MB as C: and install XP as E: again? The whole point is to install XP so it sees itself as C:. Should I have removed the letter drive of C: before I ran the XP install? Is it ok if I delete that 100MB partition when installing XP over everything so I can use method 1 here?

Thanks for the information in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #1373
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by distrohopper View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I was able to use it to tell the client that it would only work if XP installed first then we install Win7.

Forgive if this seems like a stupid question - GParted didn't see the RAID config so I used an ubuntu livecd to delete the existing partitions. I left the 100MB system partition alone. I am currently installing XP on the single unallocated partition however when it gave the option of where to install to - it saw that 100MB partition as C: and the unallocaated space. I of course chose the unallocated space. It's formating that partition now, but its saying as letter drive E:.

Did I do that right in terms of deleting the existing partitions, leaving the 100MB system alone, and installing XP in the single unallocated space? By the looks of it it will keep that 100MB as C: and install XP as E: again? The whole point is to install XP so it sees itself as C:. Should I have removed the letter drive of C: before I ran the XP install? Is it ok if I delete that 100MB partition when installing XP over everything so I can use method 1 here?

Thanks for the information in advance.
You need to delete all partitions & a fresh.than Make two new partitions

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2011   #1374
gregrocker

 

Boot the XP CD, choose Install, delete all partitions, create your XP partition and full format. Install XP there.

After XP Install, boot Win7 DVD, choose Custom Install, use Drive Options to create Win7 partition, format and install. Clean Install Windows 7

Installer should configure Dual Boot Menu. If not, install EasyBCD 2.02 to add XP from Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #1375
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post


You need to delete all partitions & a fresh.than Make two new partitions

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
Hello again, XP MUST be installed to the first partition on a HDD to get the C: drive letter, that includes the "System Reserved" partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #1376
distrohopper

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Thanks Theog, Greg, and the Bare Foot Kid for all the help and advice. Couldn't of had the assurance of to do this the right way without you guy's help, you all have been an invaluable resource with this tricky issue. Got the machine working this morning. Wiped all the old partitions, installed XP first then Win7 in a dual boot config and it now works the 'right' way. XP has C: and Win7 knows what to do and works just fine. Who knew that installing two windows OS's side by side could be such a headache. Reminded daily why I love linux...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #1377
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by distrohopper View Post


Thanks Theog, Greg, and the Bare Foot Kid for all the help and advice



You're welcome, good to see you got it sorted and thanks for the update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #1378
Riaz35

Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) and Windows XP pro SP3
 
 

Hi to all

I m a new member to this forum. I was using WindowsXP SP3 and recently I installed Windows 7 Ultmate (32bit) in a separate partition. So I have a dual boot now. Everything was fine for first few days. But a few days later when I tried to open my windows XP it didnt start. The boot manager shows the options of Previous versions of windows and Windows 7. But when I click the 'Previous version of Windows' option, it comes back to the same screen after restarting...means my windows XP is not booting..! I dont want to reinstall it. Plz help me to fix my problem...Thanks in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #1379
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Riaz35, welcome to Seven Forums!


Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.


How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP




Tutorial Tools




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista
How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista This will show you how to install Windows 7 and Vista to dual boot with when you already have either Windows 7 or Vista installed first.With a dual boot installaton, you will have two operating systems (OS) installed. When you start...
Tutorials
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD
1. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) ALREADY installed on a SINGLE hard drive. 2. I have a clean blank other SINGLE hard drive upon which I will install Windows 7 (32-bit). 3. Please understand this is TWO individual hard drives, I want an Operating System installed on each individually. (win7 on ONE,...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
I used to have a computer with Windows XP on which I could use Microsoft Works 2002 "Picture It 7". I now have a laptop with Windows 7 which does not have Microsoft Picture It and I believe that application was discontinued. I still have the old software but cannot use it with Windows 7 only with...
General Discussion
Re-installation of Windows 7/64 on SSD from Dual Boot
Hello, I'll give the "2 cent version" of my situation. I have a dual-boot system (XP on mechanical HDD / Win 7/64 Pro on SSD). Recently, I had a series on infections damage my XP installation irrepairably and it is now time to move everything over to 7. I've just purchased a larger SSD to...
Installation & Setup
dual boot windows 7 and xp installation problem
Hi, I tried installing windows xp on my dell laptop running windows 7.The installation started but soon i got the error message "setup is stopping to prevent any damage to your computer.check your hard drive to make sure its configured properly.run sfc on your hard drive etc etc ...
Installation & Setup
Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going
I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C:), and one for my data (D:). I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04. The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App