Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

26 Feb 2014   #2040
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Great news.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2014   #2041
ik8ozv

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have installed Windows 7 @64 Bit first and then Windows Xp following the Method two of the tutorial.
When i reboot and try to go in Windows 7 i get in with no problema but when i try to boot into the Windows XP,i see the Windows XP Logo then i see the black screen and quickly i see the Scree that has the top and the lower Dark Blue and the middle one Light Blue with the Windows XP Logo. The one with the flag. It seems to be stuck but i can still move the mouse.
Please where am i missing?
Any help will be really appreciated.
Enzo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2014   #2042
gregrocker

 

To find out if you need to reinstall or run a XP Repair Install, boot into Windows 7, install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required), on the Edit OS Menu tab delete the XP listing and then on Add OS Entry tab add it again, reboot to see if it will fully start now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #2043
ik8ozv

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
To find out if you need to reinstall or run a XP Repair Install, boot into Windows 7, install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required), on the Edit OS Menu tab delete the XP listing and then on Add OS Entry tab add it again, reboot to see if it will fully start now.
Hi Gregrocker,
please is there any tutorial step by step how to do it?
Thanks for you help
Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2014   #2044
gregrocker

 

Well you know how to install EasyBCD since you did it in XP, correct? Install it to Win7 now.

Then click on the Edit Boot Menu tab, highlight the XP listing and click Delete.

Next click on the Add New Entry tab, make the choices below and reboot.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #2045
ik8ozv

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Well you know how to install EasyBCD since you did it in XP, correct? Install it to Win7 now.

Then click on the Edit Boot Menu tab, highlight the XP listing and click Delete.

Next click on the Add New Entry tab, make the choices below and reboot.

Thanks gregrock for you understanding and have posted the picture with the procedures.
Done how you said but still get the same problem.
Attached is the picture where it stops loading but how i said before it is not stuck because i can move the mouse.
What to do now?
Thanks for your efforts.
Enzo


Attached Thumbnails
-foto.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #2046
gregrocker

 

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image from Win7

Have you considered vitualizing XP from Win7 using freeware like VMWare, Virtual Player, XP Mode provided in Ultimate, or Virtual Box? This would save a lot of problems trying to install a dead OS.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #2047
ik8ozv

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image from Win7

Have you considered vitualizing XP from Win7 using freeware like VMWare, Virtual Player, XP Mode provided in Ultimate, or Virtual Box? This would save a lot of problems trying to install a dead OS.

Here is the screenshot of the DiskManagement after have installed either Windows 7 and Windows XP.
Thanks


Attached Thumbnails
-disk-management.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #2048
gregrocker

 

Did XP boot after you installed it? It must have if you used Option Two in tutorial to add Win7 to a Dual Boot. However the System Boot files are on Win7 C now, so it is booting both OS's.

I would have installed XP to a Primary and not Logical partition. An OS can be installed to a Logical partition only if it places its boot files on another Primary partition. This works fine with Win7 but XP is not really smart enough to know how to do this capably. So it may be the source of your problem.

To make sure the XP installer deletes and formats its target partition Primary, I would first delete the XP partition in Disk Mgmt. This is a two step process for Logical: Delete Volume to make Logical Free Space, then Delete Partition to get rid of Logical. Then boot the XP installer to create and full format its partition in that space.

This time after installation, Mark C Partition Active then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to reassert the Win7 boot loader. Install EasyBCD to Win7 to add the new XP install which works better.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2014   #2049
ik8ozv

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did XP boot after you installed it? It must have if you used Option Two in tutorial to add Win7 to a Dual Boot. However the System Boot files are on Win7 C now, so it is booting both OS's.

I would have installed XP to a Primary and not Logical partition. An OS can be installed to a Logical partition only if it places its boot files on another Primary partition. This works fine with Win7 but XP is not really smart enough to know how to do this capably. So it may be the source of your problem.

To make sure the XP installer deletes and formats its target partition Primary, I would first delete the XP partition in Disk Mgmt. This is a two step process for Logical: Delete Volume to make Logical Free Space, then Delete Partition to get rid of Logical. Then boot the XP installer to create and full format its partition in that space.

This time after installation, Mark C Partition Active then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to reassert the Win7 boot loader. Install EasyBCD to Win7 to add the new XP install which works better.
At the end i got it work but after a couple of boot for testing i do ot get anymore the dual boot menu ad i cannot choose which system to boot.
Now it boots directly to Windows 7.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP




Tutorial Tools




Similar help and support threads
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista
How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista This will show you how to install Windows 7 and Vista to dual boot with when you already have either Windows 7 or Vista installed first.With a dual boot installaton, you will have two operating systems (OS) installed. When you start...
Tutorials
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD
1. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) ALREADY installed on a SINGLE hard drive. 2. I have a clean blank other SINGLE hard drive upon which I will install Windows 7 (32-bit). 3. Please understand this is TWO individual hard drives, I want an Operating System installed on each individually. (win7 on ONE,...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
I used to have a computer with Windows XP on which I could use Microsoft Works 2002 "Picture It 7". I now have a laptop with Windows 7 which does not have Microsoft Picture It and I believe that application was discontinued. I still have the old software but cannot use it with Windows 7 only with...
General Discussion
Re-installation of Windows 7/64 on SSD from Dual Boot
Hello, I'll give the "2 cent version" of my situation. I have a dual-boot system (XP on mechanical HDD / Win 7/64 Pro on SSD). Recently, I had a series on infections damage my XP installation irrepairably and it is now time to move everything over to 7. I've just purchased a larger SSD to...
Installation & Setup
dual boot windows 7 and xp installation problem
Hi, I tried installing windows xp on my dell laptop running windows 7.The installation started but soon i got the error message "setup is stopping to prevent any damage to your computer.check your hard drive to make sure its configured properly.run sfc on your hard drive etc etc ...
Installation & Setup
Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going
I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C:), and one for my data (D:). I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04. The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App